Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are the small resorts in the Chablais fully open, daily?

Poster: A snowHead
Just wondering whether the resorts in the Chablais close to Geneva are fully open daily (snow permitting), or whether they run limited lifts during the week. I'm specifically looking at:

- Thollon
- Bernex
- Hirmentaz / Haberes
- Les Brasses
- Abondance
- La Chapelle d'Abondance
- Roc d'Enfer
- Praz de Lys / Sommand

...as I thought it might be nice to spend a week touring some of them in January. But obviously this wouldn't be so good if they were only fully open at weekends! It's difficult to find info on the resort websites, particularly as the current season has finished.

I didn't anticipate this being an issue, but then found out that several resorts in the Bauges region and nearby are partially closed during the week during termtime (e.g. half of Le Semnoz, part of Seythenex, large parts of Aillons Margeriaz & Le Jeune, La Feclaz & Grand Revard, half of Mont Saxonnex... and probably others). Is it the same in the Chablais?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I stay in La Chapelle d'Abondance every March and it's certainly fully open every day (conditions permitting). So is Abondance and I'm fairly sure Saint Jean D'Aulps is too although I've only ever skied there on Saturday afternoons after arriving in Geneva.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have a Thollon brochure, it looks open every day to me, have only been there for a weekend myself.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The ones I know, thollon, bernex, hirmentaz, roc d'enfer, praz de lys are open daily in a normal winter .......they would be open almost as much as PdS season to season....they're all 800-1800m range top of my head.

Some of them have different micro climates Madeye-Smiley to the others.....so even though they are within a 20-30km radius, the likes of Hirmentaz and Bernex are closest to the lake. I've driven past them in heavy snow on the way up to PdS only to find clear skies higher up.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks all. Between you all that's most of the list covered - looks promising (if there's an exception, it can be assigned to one of the weekend days, or Wednesday when I think some local schools are also off). The idea is currently to stay in the Abondance valley and dip into the PdS with the cheaper Liberte pass, plus some of the resorts from the above list.

I'm not too concerned about snow conditions as we'd be visiting at the end of January. If it turns out to be an exceptionally poor mid season we can buy the full PdS pass instead, and access the circuit from Chatel.

Now it's just a question of when to bite in terms of finding a good accommodation deal...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bernex is where the big secondary school in Douvaine send all their 12-13yrs in mid Jan to try skiing. They all get 4 days passes, instruction and ski hire paid for by the state. Very nice black run up there
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@denfinella, what a great idea! you could consider basing yourself in Vacheresse which is quite central With access to Bernex etc, the Abordance valley ski stations and easy access the Vallee D’Aulps via the Col du Corbier.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Ozboy, There is a nice hotel in Vacheresse.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Ozboy, Vacherasse would be perfect as central location. However, in case of very heavy snow I'd quite like to be based somewhere with direct (or nearly direct) access to at least some slopes, which is why I'm leaning towards Abondance or La Chapelle.

They're also very close to Chatel in case snow is poor and we decide to get the full PdS pass.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@denfinella, i’d choose La Chapelle as you are straight into the PDS circuit via TC La Panthiaz or jump on the valley bus to Linga or PLJ.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Ozboy, yep, think that's our first choice at the moment.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@denfinella, http://ot-peva.ski/?s=alpin if you then click on the results if will give you the lift/piste status for Abondance, CdA, Bernex and Thollon, useful if you are touring the area.. Also the facebook pages for Bernex and Thollon advise of lift closures due to bad weather.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@BergenBergen, excellent! Thanks - I've bookmarked it.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@denfinella, Just a note on Vachresse as a base. As a family, we spend a lot of time in Vacheresse, certainly >100 days pa. Access to Bernex is 12 mins, Abondance 10 mins, Chatel 25 mins, Morzine 40, St Jean 30 mins. Even in serious snow, everything moves well, the issues start further towards Chatel where some drivers in snowy weather find the conditions trickier than others, delays then occur, but nothing too bad. Vacheresse is quiet though, it's a normal french village not geared to tourism compared to say compared to La Chappelle or Abondance, but depends on what you are after. If you want an Airbnb or small hotel it would work. The biggest issue with the satellite resorts on your list is snow-sureness, early and late season sometimes tricky but mid-season no problems with daily skiing available.

We always ski out of Chatel, using Linga or PLJ access points, depending on the children's ski Academy/racing commitments.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I’ve skied most of the resorts on your list from Chatel. Generally a 45 min drive or less. Without exception they are all worth a day or two (or more) so I reckon your plan is sound. They tend to open the full week in season. I agree with @Ozboy, La Chapelle would be a good base.
snow report
uploading other pics this morning I found this shot from about 6-7 years ago, was mid december, hiked up to Pointe d'Hirmentaz at 1600m, looking south along the valley (Rte des Grands Alps) towards Roc d'Enfer, PdS, Mont Blanc

IMG-1016
latest report
Thanks everybody - all useful info.

@polo, lovely photo too.
ski holidays
@denfinella, please let us know your plans in due course and how you got on. Sounds like a fab idea and one I would like to do one 1/2 term in the future with the kids out of Chatel.
ski holidays
@denfinella, we stayed in Chapelle d’Abondance a couple of years ago in January. It was really to spend a bit more time skiing that end of the PDS as we were based in Les Gets at the time. Answering your original question re midweek opening, yes all open, and certainly too in Roc d’Enfer/SJD, and Praz de Lys/Sommand. The latter was quite a favourite of ours from our easy access in Les Gets although a couple of years ago there were problems with access as the road was being rebuilt. Just meant restricted hours. I am sure that must be sorted by now.

I shall also enjoy reading your report at the time, as I did your Italian stay in March.
snow report
@denfinella, We have lived here since 2005 ( Col Du Corbier ) and have visited all apart from Les Brasses.
Our experience was that they were open every day, and all within 25 mins of here ( as are Morzine and Chatel).
The Liberte pass is a great shout, there used to be one called Evasion, which was similar in coverage, included Torgon, Chalet Neuf etc..
We normally board La Chapelle / St Jean at half term when it's busier elsewhere.
Buying the passes daily is not super expensive, and it means you can choose based on the weather.
Thollon and Bernex offer great views across the lake when the weather is nice, and if the weather is a bit shonky, the Roc D'enfer circuit is quite well protected once you drop off the Col du Graydon.
If when you say "touring" you mean skinning up, then the Col Du Corbier has plenty of trails and as all but one lift have been removed, you have the place to yourself.
(It used to be a thriving resort with 9 lifts and about 16 runs.)
There is also a route down down into Abondance - But you can't get back Smile
If you want lifts to take you up the hill, then go ski elsewhere.
That being said, it's a good base for all of these places, and there's loads of cheap accommodation.
I can PM you details of many owners who rent privately.
snow report
An update on our trip planning - we've now booked an apartment halfway between Abondance and La Chapelle.

Originally we had a place in La Chapelle itself, but the owner cancelled.

Looking forward to touring the Chablais on a budget next January from our cosy base Very Happy

@WindOfChange and Pamski, thanks for your earlier replies, lots of useful info. I must have missed them before! By "touring" I mean driving to different resorts, not skinning.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy