Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saas-Fee 2019/2020

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello,
We've skied Saas Fee, pre Winter-Card (over priced, expensive lift pass) and with the Winter Card (2 trips a year for 3 years) & not too fussed over "lift shut days". Looking at 2019/2020

- Magic Pass..but does not cover Saas Grund (which is a nice little area, and stays open when Fee shuts)
- Saas Pass, but only for 6 days for all resorts CHF379
- Reseller Saas Pass, CHF255....but this seems a bit of a secret, the tourist board wanted to know how I knew about this

The resorts are ok and I could live with limited runs, regular closures, old slow lifts (Alpin "express") and queues paying Winter Card prices, but struggle at paying the full rate for 6 days. I understand both lift companies have had major financial problems, but am I the only one who thinks the Saastal Valley has messed up in 2019/2020?

I've flights to Geneva & cancellable accommodation in Saas for long xmas week break, but would appreciate thoughts on snow sure alternatives (not Zermatt) within a few hours drive / train.

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@rnick, please tell more about the Reseller Saas Pass...I would expect to be there for a week of training in November and would love to know more
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Magic Pass (www.magicpass.ch) now includes Saas-Fee and Saas-Almagell in 2019/2020 as well as 30 other Swiss Resort and I think it's best idea for the Saastal Valley that they joined.

There are about 10 French ski resorts within 1.5hrs drive of Geneva.

Flaine is one that is more snowsure at 2400m. If you get skialacarte you can be paying as low as EUR29.00 a day.
You can use skialacarte at Serre Che, La Plagne, Paradiski, etc
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for input.
France - I'd not really considered this, I'll do some research. I'd also have pondered driving round to Italy (La Thuile / Cervinia etc). Th CHF/GBP is starting to look better value than EUR/GBP so it's a bit of a fine balance between resort altitude and $$ spent.

Reseller Pass - so myself and the owner of a hotel we've used a few times were chewing the fat over the problems / near collapse of 2 of the 3 lift companies. The offer was from the Saastaal lift companies (letter headed paper etc). I guess it's up to the hotels how much, if any of the saving they pass on when they sell this pass, or perhaps more likely bundle it up in accommodation plus lift pass deal. The tourist board seemed a bit peeved about my knowledge of this.

I think on balance the magic pass makes more sense for Saas, we're away for over a week plus might visit Valais in Summer. I've missed the cheap cheap opening offer, but I was surprised to see Saas Grund were not participating.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I’ve just bought the Magic Pass in the opening offer at CHF399, as I’ll be in Saas-Fee next Jan for a couple of weeks, and it gives you in effect a 14 day lift pass for the price of 6 days.

I also bought the previous Mega deal lift pass which was CHF588 for 3 years, so you got 3 seasons of skiing for the price of 12 days on the standard lift pass. That deal made no financial sense, as they only got a third of their previous income, which is why the lift companies are in trouble.

The new Magic Pass doesn’t make much sense either. It used to be the case that season passes only cut in price wise once you exceeded 3 or 4 weeks on the standard pass, so in the CHF700-800 range.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@rnick, what about Grimentz / Zinal? Or Villars / Les Diablerets with the option of G3000. Both areas on magic pass I think (with supp got G3000). Or possibly Crans Montana? Verbier is snow sure but likely to be busy at Xmas and $$$ compared to magic pass if you do more than 7 days
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy