Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wireless timing system for ski club (simple / cheap)

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone recommend a simple wireless timing system ?

To be used on snow for ski-club races and training.
Needs to be easy and quick for coaches to set up...
Ideally simple to use and not to expensive either.

Been doing some goggling - but interested in any recommendations!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Haggis_Trap, We saw a club training in Sweden 4 or 5 years ago and they had a set up that basically was a mobile phone at the top and another at the bottom (they actually had two at each end). I have no idea how it worked, or what system it used to work, and whether they were connected to (via 4G or something) to a central timer, but certainly the main hardware was very ordinary.
Hope that gives you a starting point at least. Let us know what you find.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'll add that the two phones at the top weren't facing each other creating a "beam" or anything, they were simply side by side on a stand. We didn't get a close look at the bottom.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I spent a while looking for something similar for our ski club, but in the end we went with the £3k Brower system as I couldn’t find anything suitable.

A mate who’s into electronics suggested it would be relatively easy to build - two synchronised clocks that send trigger signals to a computer which then works out which competitor each pulse refers to and calculates the times, with manual intervention for DNF etc. However, this would have taken a few months to get round to doing, so we went commercial.

It’s a bit surprising, given the price of the ommercial systems, that there isn’t a £500 Chinese system available (at least that I could find 2 yrs ago when we were looking).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowdave wrote:

It’s a bit surprising, given the price of the commercial systems, that there isn’t a £500 Chinese system available (at least that I could find 2 yrs ago when we were looking).

My guess : there might be 2 reasons for this...

1) FIS / homologated races apparently required wired timing.
2) Many alpine ski clubs will train in a designated 'stade' with wired start hut etc.

However for training purposes there must be some kind of simple / cheap / easy to set up timing system ? (as you say!)

thecramps wrote:
@Haggis_Trap, We saw a club training in Sweden 4 or 5 years ago and they had a set up that basically was a mobile phone at the top and another at the bottom (they actually had two at each end)..

Exactly : Something like that would be ideal.
Will need to do more googling when I have time!

Can imagine a system in my head that uses bluetooth or 4G to connect to a start-gate / finish line / phone-app.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Haggis_Trap, All the clubs that I know use commercial systems, some of these are wireless.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Haggis_Trap, any system using mobile phones is going to have substantial jitter, probably on the order of 100ms, even with 4G. Depends how the system timing is done, but it's probably not going to be accurate enough for your purposes.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Steilhang wrote:
@Haggis_Trap, any system using mobile phones is going to have substantial jitter, probably on the order of 100ms, even with 4G. Depends how the system timing is done, but it's probably not going to be accurate enough for your purposes.

Good point - though 0.1s would be fine.
It is for timing fun kids races / training / stubby courses etc. Nothing serious.

The ski club have an (old) wired timing system but coaches never use it as taking it up hill and setting up takes ages.

Can't help but feel there must be simple wireless solution. Though most commercial timing kits cost close to 3k.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Surely a mobile phone based system wouldn't just send a crude 'start' message, when it could send a message with a timestamp from a common, accurate timing source, such as GPS?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tubaski wrote:
Surely a mobile phone based system wouldn't just send a crude 'start' message, when it could send a message with a timestamp from a common, accurate timing source, such as GPS?

I think the devices (start / finish) would need to communicate via bluetooth or 4g ?
Which presumably introduces some timing errors.
Though cant imagine these errors would be problematic for a kids race / training.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Haggis_Trap, I agree, if they are sending stop/go but if they send a timestamp from a common source the latency /jitter issue goes away. As the system could calculate the run time as the delta between the finish gate GPS timestamp and the start gate GPS timestamp.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The commercial systems are available as components, you presumably already have a start gate and finish photocell, you could just look at adding the wireless bits to connect them.

One thing that does work well for training is the Tag Heuer system that has a stopwatch for each trainee that they carry, you don't need to tell the system who is on the course and they get an instant readout of their times. I suppose you could write something for a smartphone to work in a similar way.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
How accurate does it need to be?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
altis wrote:
How accurate does it need to be?

More accurate than a radio plus stop watch wink I reckon roughly 0.1 sec would be fine for kids training and fun end of season club races (etc).

We only have 30 trainees and might only time once or twice a season. Spending £3k on timing kit doesn't really make sense.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 22-04-19 16:26; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Any use? https://thepegeek.com/2016/09/light-gate-speed-testing-mobile/
snow conditions
@Haggis_Trap, I was hoping it would be about that.

You can get used vehicle tracking devices fairly cheaply off eBay. These have a GPS and bits from a mobile phone. Many of these also have a few digital inputs and outputs and can be loaded with a script. Should be a fairly simple job to look for a digital input, grab the GPS time and then text it to another mobile. Here you could just look at pairs of texts and work out the time difference or use some sort of script.
snow conditions
Alternatively, people like Radiometrix make radio modules with good range that work in the licence-free 173MHz band. Assuming that you’re operating out of range of anyone else, then it would be an easy job use a pair of these to ‘remote’ the start input of digital stopwatch.

http://www.radiometrix.com/content/tx1

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231463616017

https://quasarelectronics.co.uk/Item/3148t2-4-digit-stopwatch-timer-board-with-pause

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303039962296
latest report
^ cheers guys.
some interesting options / ideas & apps above.
have M.Eng in electronics - so cobbling something together an option wink
if I can find some time!
ski holidays
@Haggis_Trap, why not see if any local clubs will rent you their equipment when you need it?
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
@Haggis_Trap, why not see if any local clubs will rent you their equipment when you need it?

Apparently Snowsport Scotland can provide timing kit for races etc.
snow report
@Haggis_Trap, Arduino forums will get you something dirt cheap. You can use wireless connection.

http://youtube.com/v/cQJiwWHlB_M
snow report
If it's not for official purposes then surely a couple of mobiles and a stopwatch would be enough?
latest report
foxtrotzulu wrote:
If it's not for official purposes then surely a couple of mobiles and a stopwatch would be enough?

yip : that is exactly what we do at the moment : two radios plus a stop watch at bottom.
it works, is simple and cheap.
however it does means coaches are tied up timing (rather than coaching kids).

cant help but feel that in 2019 there must be an easier / slightly more elegant solution ?
that ideally doesn't cost 3K.
snow report
foxtrotzulu wrote:

just create a strava segment and give each kid a smartphone Happy
snow conditions
There's an app called sprint timer that looks like it does most of what you want and looks very clever.

It can do motion detect finishing and remote starting so it might be worth contacting the developer to see if he could add motion detect start on one device and finishing on a second and then you'd have a complete solution.

details are here https://appmaker.se/home/sprinttimer/
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy