Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Foret Les Arcs tips for rookies

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello folks,

Appreciate that it's a long way off but I've just booked Christmas week at La Foret in Les Arcs for me and my 15yr old son (husband not a skier).

We're both confident beginners / improvers, good on blues, exploring more challenging reds. Any tips for us not killing each other during a week skiing together? Considering ski school, perhaps separately!

Any other recommendations for Les Arcs also gratefully received. Forewarned is forearmed!

Thanks in advance!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Franksmum2004, welcome to SH's.

Great choice/location for Christmas week. Just go out and enjoy yourself. There are so many places to explore.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Go over to La plagne on the vanoise express and have lunch at le sauget. Ski together. Don't worry about lessons. Plan a day out each day based around a lunch spot - even if the skiing isn't great, the food should be! Chat to people. Skiing is a sociable pastime and people are always friendly in my experience.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Franksmum2004, welcome to the forum.

If you've not been to Les Arcs before I think it's a great place to ski for any ski level. Very well connected even for advancing skill levels with so much variety of piste to get around without compromising confidence.

One of the highlights for our son at 14yrs age was to ski out early prior to lift opening with the pistuers. If available its well worth it and we had a stunning clear morning for us. It's a small cost and has breakfast at mountain restaurant included, Arpette in our case, ski at pace you want on pistes and lift they open above arcs 1800. Usually details at pass office.

A trip to the top of Aguille Rouge also worth it just for the views. If you're not confident to ski back down you can take the cable car but it is a red route that's good all the way from the top.
I've always liked Les Arcs for its attitude of taking down barriers to just getting stuck in and having fun, hope you both enjoy it.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Go have a go on the Rodeo Sledge - makes a change from skiing
Look in the Ice Grotto in Arc Bowl
Ski the tree lined routes above Vallandry and Arc 1600 - particularly if weather poor
Aguille Rouge as said - but head there first and early to avoid a long queue
Not sure which part of Arc you're in, but if 1800 there is the newish swimming pool
Certainly lessons in morning seperately may be a good idea, ski together in afternoon
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd say you're in the perfect spot for both of you and La Foret is excellent. The slopes above your chalet are some of the best in the resort, especially if the weather is poor. Nice tree-lined Red Runs with a wide open area at the top to get you going. Links all the way across to Villaroger have easy Blues/Reds all the way, except the top of Aguille Rouge, but you can join lower down by suing the lift out of Arc 2000 and then skiing the bottom two-thirds. Going to La Plagne is simple as the Vannoise Express is on your doorstep. It does take time to get all the way to La Plagne though, so save that for later in the week.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Franksmum2004 wrote:
Considering ski school, perhaps separately!
New Generation Ski School a very easy slide from where you are staying. A bit more expensive than the local ESF, but instruction in English from an excellent Brit instructor is worth the extra money IMO.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Great tips from everybody above.
Check early offers for ski passes, if it's not included in your package. A 6 days pass comes with one day in La Plagne but you are just near the Vanoise Express so it might be a good idea to go for the Paradiski full pass which is about €35 euros more.
Les Arcs is a popular destination for SH. And you booked a good week, so you won't be alone. Just send a message on the forum (piste/resort reviews) a couple of weeks before your vacation looking for other SH who might join you in skiing around.
I'm planning a ski vacation with my 15 years old son for that same week. If we won't choose Austria, I'll be happy to return to Les Arcs, this time to Vallandry, and will gladly notify you.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wow! Thank you so much for all your advice, I'm so glad I posted this and now I'm even more excited. Frank and I have both skied separately (except for one day in the Pyrenees when he was just learning which was a bit of a disaster) but it's the first time together and for me not with a group of adult friends (and more experienced skiers).

I will read all your feedback in detail and yes, if anyone is considering Les Arcs at Christmas, and face a hook up, please let me know.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy