Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easter Drive Down 2019 - chit chat

Poster: A snowHead
As for previous holidays, I think we need a specific thread for people tackling the drive over the holiday period.

Share your tunnel tips, stopover plans, and roof box woes here.

We'll be on the road Friday - and if everything goes smoothly hope to be enjoying some "Poulet de Bresse" for lunch on Saturday.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Aiming for the 20:30 tunnel on Friday night. I asked my wife if she could get out of school on Friday, or at least leave early... but since she’s the Headteacher that’s a bit of a no-no Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Anyone got any space for the Easter weekend, got in contact. Share costs etc.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Headteacher could be the first one out!
I asked this to my mrs ( primary teacher) and she was adament she'd be there for ages - no idea what she does!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Driving to Flaine, leaving SW London Friday around 3pm with an overnight in Reims.

Got FlexiPlus included with booking so should be no stress with the tunnel. Lots of snow forecast so can't wait!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Charrison - we're heading to Flaine too with a night stop in Reims. May see you on the road. Have you done the drive before?

In addition to a tunnel ticket, we actually booked a refundable ferry ticket (as a "backstop" in case of Brexit chaos at the tunnel) but I think we'll cancel that and stick with the tunnel now.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
frejul - I drove to Le Grand Bornand at half term with just my eldest son. This will be first time with the whole family though!

Bit worried about the mountain road to Flaine, but there doesn't look like snow will fall on the Saturday for arrival: https://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Flaine/6day/mid
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Planning to drive down on 13 April and aiming for the 8:20 am crossing. About to book now it looks like parliament have passed an amendment to extend a no-deal scenario beyond 12 April negating the need to cross into France on the 12th to avoid potential chaos.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@jamescollings, im booked on the 20.30 chunnel
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We’re booked on the Saturday 4.20am Eurotunnel crossing.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Since Easter is so late I've decided not to ski this Easter, but I still have memories of the overnight drive maundy thursday/good Friday accompany what appeared to be the whole of Belgium driving to the South.
Have a good journey everyone.
I'm heading home on Sunday.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@charrison, @frejul, been lots of snow the last day or so, down to a pretty low level. Check out the Grand Massif thread for on the spot updates. Not sure what the rain /snow limit is doing the next few days. They are good about keeping the road moving, as it is the only way to get any supplies into Flaine, until they build the Funiflaine. First Easter we have not driven for years but I'll be doing it in a French hire car next week, so hoping it is clear, as they don't tend to come with winter tyres Shocked. Good luck everyone, hoping for clear roads and safe travels.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Cheesie168, it'll all be clear by Easter.

Though it has snowed here the roads to arc 1600 are totally clear
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Were on the 15:13 Eurotunnel tomorrow (Friday) on our way to St Anton, Austria. Hoping the queues are not too bad. Taking the French route for a change so just a short hop down to Reims for an overnight stay then arrive in St Anton sometime after lunch on Saturday. Skiing all day final Saturday with overnight stay in Friedrichshafen, then normal route via Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, France back on the Sunday arriving back in the UK Sunday evening.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Driving down on the evening of the 11th. Stopping in Bethune to catch a couple of hours kip before driving down to Bourg ready to be on the slopes Saturday am.
latest report
Cheesie168 wrote:
@charrison, @frejul, been lots of snow the last day or so, down to a pretty low level. Check out the Grand Massif thread for on the spot updates. Not sure what the rain /snow limit is doing the next few days. They are good about keeping the road moving, as it is the only way to get any supplies into Flaine, until they build the Funiflaine. First Easter we have not driven for years but I'll be doing it in a French hire car next week, so hoping it is clear, as they don't tend to come with winter tyres Shocked. Good luck everyone, hoping for clear roads and safe travels.

Thanks Cheesie. Used my chains before on the final stretch into Flaine - well actually on the way out but we're equipped!
latest report
First time driver here. Heading down a week Friday (12th) to Les Arcs. Will be following this thread intently to see how folks get on this weekend.
latest report
Heading to Geneva tomorrow at 10:30am from London. Hoping for a smooth drive.

Overnight in Geneva then pick up the family who are flying in on Sat evening.

Haven’t booked a hotel as I may prefer to stop before Geneva depending on how knackered / delayed I get.

If I get to Geneva - any recommendations on a hotel, maybe with late checkout and secure parking?

More importantly, how might conditions look late on Sat eve en route to Val d’isere!? Heavy snowfall predicted for Sat eve?
ski holidays
Early eurotunnel which only had 20 or so cars on it.
Clear roads thus far to Reims . Nice dry sunny day.
So far so good!
latest report
@Honeybadgerversion2, It's nice and sunny here in Les Arcs at the moment. Have a good drive.

Quote:

Haven’t booked a hotel as I may prefer to stop before Geneva depending on how knackered / delayed I get.

My nepthew found a decent cheep hotel. It was in the red light district.
Quote:

More importantly, how might conditions look late on Sat eve en route to Val d’isere!? Heavy snowfall predicted for Sat eve?

Meteo France predicts snow from 20:00 to 24:00 Saturday evening. If it is like yesterday's supposed dump it will cause no disruption at all. The roads here to Les Arcs were kept completely clear just by traffic.
snow report
Novotel over on the French side @sasha320, Ferney Voltaire - decent restaurant too
ski holidays
Thanks for suggestions - I’m holding off on a destination to stopover and I’m waiting to see how I feel.

Eurotunnel looked quiet when I just passed through at 15:30.

Now for some mile munching!
latest report
Very quiet on Eurotunnel. Currently sitting on train due to depart 14.50 (2 mins time). Drove straight on train no stop at terminal or in the waiting area.
snow report
Wish we were going now - kids break up today and would be a good week as it's turned out.

However with A levels and GCSE looming kids wanted (!!!!) to focus on revision
snow conditions
Our six year old son was sick 20 mins into to the journey. Sat in traffic on M20 with faint smell of vomit in the car...
snow conditions
M25 clockwise was slow
M20 is slow

Still on track for the train in 2.5 hrs... after all.... how long can it take to do the last 40miles???
ski holidays
After very busy M20, Tunnel seemed quite quiet earlier. Arrived 4pm ish, booked on 18.06, but got bumped up onto 16.50. Happy days A26 quiet too!
latest report
landed at chunnel not overly busy been shifted forward on to the 20.06 shuttle. kids in a good mood and excited to get ripping
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yep. After queuing for ages on all motorways the tunnel kiosks were deserted. Now at an equally empty flexplus area about to get back in the car and start the night-shift.
latest report
Haven’t made the progress I expected, quite a few stops on this run but not for food, petrol, traffic or weather.

Toilet stops! Since when did that suddenly become the shortest interval between stops?!?
latest report
Made it to Dover in 5hr 5min (inc coffee stop) - something of a record.

Car says average 72.3 mpg. Best shown was next step up at 74.2.
snow report
@altis, what type of car returns that mpg?
snow conditions
@Jonny996, my diesel Seat Toledo does if I do enough good runs rather than the normal stop start runs I have comuting to work where I only average 62mpg
ski holidays
@Jonny996, Pug 207sw TDi.

Been pushed forwards onto 11 pm ferry. Happy Days.
snow report
NOw just south of Chalon-en-champs. The service stations are very quiet as are the roads. Trip has been marred by my APRR dongle not working this year (no idea why) so having to jump out at each paege (my ‘co-pilot’ has had her champagne and wine and is sleeping through it all!!)
latest report
Quick question on the peage dongle..

If you have a working dongle, can you roll through any lane at <30kph?

Or just the lanes with the 30 speed limit above them?
snow report
altis wrote:
Made it to Dover in 5hr 5min (inc coffee stop) - something of a record.

Car says average 72.3 mpg. Best shown

Thats amazing. Im lucky if I get 30mpg on a long run. Much less in normal town driving.
snow conditions
@sasha320, toilet stops are the most common reason for stops. The car has a range of over 6 hours on the autoroute, the need for food even longer, but the bladder, not much over 3.
snow report
I used to be able to match fuel to bladder to rest ~5 hours...

Not so much these days!
ski holidays
Stayed here in the end

Hostellerie Saint-Germain, Arly

Clean and modern.

100 Euros incl breakfast.

I recommend it, even though to get here the sat nav recommends you go via a track in a field to get here from the motorway!

Hostellerie Saint-Germain
635 Grande Rue, 39210 Saint-Germain-lès-Arlay, France
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy