Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Marker Alpinists

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone on here have experience of these?

Considering some new touring bindings at the lighter end of the spectrum (without going full skimo) and these seem to have the following positives:

Cheap
Ski well for the category
Flat ramp angle
Light

Downsides seem to be

Brakes are a bit rubbish (assuming I use them)
Switching between heel raise positions not as simple as some

Anyone have anything to add?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Alpinists are great, I've sold loads of them and every customers has said how please they are with them. I've not heard of one breakage and that includes the TGR crowd. The Alpinist toe is being used in the new Kingpin MWERKS which is a good sign.
And they torque test pretty accurately as well. And the flexy rubber anti icing doofa really works - an obvious solution that other brands should've sussed years ago.

Yes the brakes are crap but then they are on competitor bindings as well but their job on that category of binding is not to stop a sliding ski but to stabilise it whilst clicking in so if you're in dodgy terrain you should still run a leash as well.

The interchangeable strength vertical release U-Bows are excellent (Dynafit take note!) and will be needed by most as the 12 din binding comes with hard U-Bow (circa 10/11) so for most of my customers I fitted the medium one (circa 8 din) and the 9 din binding version comes with the medium U-Bow but most of customers needed the soft (circa 6 din).

Plus the mounting pattern is, with the addition of two extra holes, the same as the Kingpin so Kingpin users have the option of running a freeride touring binding and a super lightweight distance touring binding on the same ski using QK inserts.

And then there's the price as it's not expensive at list price and with a bit of discount its value for money is unbeaten.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@spyderjon, thanks Jon

Next question for me is do I really need them Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you're planning on putting them on existing skis then let me know the binding model/sole length of the existing pattern(s) and you're current bsl and I'll see if it fits. Can't offer you any Alpinists as I sold out weeks ago and so is Marker and my new stock doesn't arrive until the Autumn. When I looked on line last week a few shops were selling the 12 at sub £200 which is basically cost price + VAT.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Arno,
I just got some from slush and Rubble for 200 less 15% so 170.
Jon - gentleman that he is - helped me with a template as well as QK stuff but I haven't mounted them up yet so can't comment on performance in use. They look lovely and are very light tho!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@jedster, had my eye on that deal...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hard to ignore when you think that even speed turn 2.0 will cost more, are heavier and probably a bit less functional / capable
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@jedster, shush - I have a perfectly fine pair of Plums (fnar) and am regretting starting this now Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Smile

I'm sure bargains are my most expensive habit...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
spyderjon wrote:

Plus the mounting pattern is, with the addition of two extra holes, the same as the Kingpin so Kingpin users have the option of running a freeride touring binding and a super lightweight distance touring binding on the same ski using QK inserts.

Well, that's an interesting idea. I assume the toe-pieces share the same mounting pattern and then you just have to relocate the heel section, and would there be enough adjustment on the plate to only need 2 extra holes with the other 2 matching up with 2 of the Kingpin holes?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@spyderjon, not that I intend to buy any of these, let alone need anything else new, but theoretically....

Would Dynafit ski crampons work with these or would new ones be required?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yep, Marker use the Dynafit style crampon fixing on both the Kingpin and Alpinist.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
inspark wrote:
spyderjon wrote:

Well, that's an interesting idea. I assume the toe-pieces share the same mounting pattern and then you just have to relocate the heel section, and would there be enough adjustment on the plate to only need 2 extra holes with the other 2 matching up with 2 of the Kingpin holes?

Yup
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
spyderjon wrote:
Yep, Marker use the Dynafit style crampon fixing on both the Kingpin and Alpinist.

With the caveat that with shorter BSL's the crampon fouls the ski/walk mode lever on the Kingpin, not sure what the crucial BSL is........
The Marker crampon has a cutout to avoid this.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
KenX wrote:
spyderjon wrote:

With the caveat that with shorter BSL's the crampon fouls the ski/walk mode lever on the Kingpin, not sure what the crucial BSL is.......

310mm IIRC
latest report
Do they come with leashes included?
ski holidays
irbis wrote:
Do they come with leashes included?

They come with neither brakes nor leashes.

The 12 din comes with the hard U-Bow's but many users then need a medium U-Bow set.

The 9 din comes with the medium U-Bows but many users then need a soft U-Bow set.
ski holidays
Skied on these today (Alpinist 9) for the first time, very impressed!
Almost straight swap for the Kingpins I had, only 2 extra holes to drill per ski.
Went for the leash model as I ski mostly backcountry.

Pros:
Much lighter than the Kingpin
Simpler to use than my other tech bindings (Speed Turn)
No need to buy new crampons as the Dynafit/Marker work fine
Awesome value!
Look rad on my Wailer 112's !!!

Cons:
3 risers, but the middle one is pretty much redundant/awkward to use (no deal-breaker)
Harder to step into than either the Kingpin or Speed Turn, again no big deal and hoping the harder toe springs = less likelihood of pre-release.....

Added bonus, the much lower pin height difference has transformed the Wailers for me, win-win Very Happy
ski holidays
Hello, do you anyone has template / bolt pattern for this Marker Alpinist binding? Would help me lot...
Thanks
snow report
Someone is able to compare the Alpinist vs the ATK raider FR14 (new or old model, I don't think there is much difference in terms of skiability, angles, etc).

I'm very happy with the ATK, normally I run at a 10, maximum 11 DIN, so both models are enough for me.
Without tried the alpinist, ATK are really a blast, and compared to Dynafit (Vertical FT12 or Radical FT12) are miles better, in terms of skiing, security, prereleases, and also easy of use (only downside are the front brakes, but with new model this is solved).

Vertical and radical had a massive ramp angle, after putting a 6mm shims in the toe, were a bit better. With ATK I was skiing last 3 years without any shim, I feel a bit of "angle" compared with alpine bindings or shift, but for the moment I didn't feel the need to mount it (maybe worth a try some 2 or 4mm...but I don't know where to find a shim for that model). This is a good point for the Alpinist, but I don't think it's able to ski as good as the FR14 with the stomp pad (really improves the feeling and transmission).

So, someone was able to try and compare in real conditions out there??
snow conditions
@MartinVojtek, unless Spyderjon comes back with one, I used this:
https://www.wildsnow.com/backcountry-ski-pdfs/marker-kingpin-2015.pdf
The front binding holes are the same and I used the 2 rearmost holes of the Kingpin for the Alpinist (mine is a short travel, ymmv) and marked 2 new holes for the front of the Alpinist rear binding.
Obviously try this on a piece of wood first to make sure the measurements are correct!
Also remember the Alpinist pin line is 6mm forward of the Kingpin, so adjust your boot centre accordingly........
ski holidays
Hi,

when going from Alpinist to Kingpin whil using the existing toe holes, do I end up the same ralative to mounting point?
The last post suggests that I would be 6mm off?

@spyderjon: I am having trouble w/ my alpinist toe lockout, one side locks but the lever barely stays in position, so the slightest touch unlocks the toe. Have you seen that happen before?

I very much hope for marker/volkl to handle this customer friendly, a I have so far been very happy with how alpinists ride and suggested them to quite a few fellw skiers...
ski holidays
@danbre2022, I doubt you'd notice a 6 mm difference!!
snow conditions
danbre2022 wrote:
Hi,

when going from Alpinist to Kingpin whil using the existing toe holes, do I end up the same ralative to mounting point?
The last post suggests that I would be 6mm off?

@spyderjon: I am having trouble w/ my alpinist toe lockout, one side locks but the lever barely stays in position, so the slightest touch unlocks the toe. Have you seen that happen before?

I very much hope for marker/volkl to handle this customer friendly, a I have so far been very happy with how alpinists ride and suggested them to quite a few fellw skiers...

I had a few problems with my alpinist toes unlocking this season. Dropped a ski once on a delicate skin (fortunately leashed) but then found a few occasions when I had to pull up into locked again. I posted about this in the off piste board. Wouldn’t rule out my clumsiness though!
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@danbre2022, I doubt you'd notice a 6 mm difference!!

well, I notice 2mm differnrence in delta, so I wouldn't bet on me being able to ignore 6mm Happy

Than again, current mount point is -9 so a few mms farther back might not hurt too much (camox freebirds)
ski holidays
Depends on the ski. I had a pair with one ski mounted 6mm forward of the other. Could not tell the difference, although it annoyed the poo-poo out of me. Had close to 35m turn radius, though, so wasn't really making much of a difference in relation to where I was on the sidecut. Suspect 6mm is a lot if the sweet spot on the ski is small.
ski holidays
Any suggestions what pin binding might go well on a ski that has as set of alpinist holes without deviating from mount point?
latest report
AlTom wrote:
Someone is able to compare the Alpinist vs the ATK raider FR14 (new or old model, I don't think there is much difference in terms of skiability, angles, etc).

I'm very happy with the ATK, normally I run at a 10, maximum 11 DIN, so both models are enough for me.
Without tried the alpinist, ATK are really a blast, and compared to Dynafit (Vertical FT12 or Radical FT12) are miles better, in terms of skiing, security, prereleases, and also easy of use (only downside are the front brakes, but with new model this is solved).

Vertical and radical had a massive ramp angle, after putting a 6mm shims in the toe, were a bit better. With ATK I was skiing last 3 years without any shim, I feel a bit of "angle" compared with alpine bindings or shift, but for the moment I didn't feel the need to mount it (maybe worth a try some 2 or 4mm...but I don't know where to find a shim for that model). This is a good point for the Alpinist, but I don't think it's able to ski as good as the FR14 with the stomp pad (really improves the feeling and transmission).

So, someone was able to try and compare in real conditions out there??

A bit late for you but I prefer the ATK FR14 to the Alpinist. As you say it clicks in and skis really nicely and has much less of a nervous, jarring feel than many tech bindings. The Alpinist is also not bad in this regard but the ATK feels like a noticeable step up.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
danbre2022 wrote:
......when going from Alpinist to Kingpin whil using the existing toe holes, do I end up the same ralative to mounting point?
The last post suggests that I would be 6mm off?......

It depends. If you're Kingpins are the 10 or 13 din model them yes, assuming the same boot sole length, your boot centre will be circa 6mm off. But if your Kingpins are the later MWerks 12 version (which use the actual/ligher Alpinist toe binding) then your boot centre will be in the same place - again assuming the same sole length.

danbre2022 wrote:
......@spyderjon: I am having trouble w/ my alpinist toe lockout, one side locks but the lever barely stays in position, so the slightest touch unlocks the toe. Have you seen that happen before?.....

I've not seen/heard of that before. Is it one or both toes? Is there wear in the boot inserts (is the issue always with the same boot?) or on the offending toe pin(s). Check that no part of the boot shell/sole is rubbing on the toe binding base/arms and restricting the closure?

If none of the above appear to be an issue then IME Marker provide very good (worldwide) warranty so if it is a binding issue I'd recommend sending your supplying retailer a video of the issue.
latest report
@spyderjon it either affects both toes to a different extent or just one, depending an what is "normal".
with no boot inserted but toe closed, on lock lever can swing completely past the frontmost part of the toepiece base that is supposed to stop it. this lever has zero friction with the ratchet points. the "OK" does not allow the lever to swing past and the ever faces some resistance in the ratchet positions.

it happens with practically new dynafit boots as well as with slightly oder ones. neither have worn fittings.

so far, marker have not been able to answer the mail my dealer sent them.

the sad thing is I just drilled 500€ ski for these binders because I blindly trusted they would last more than two years and a handful of tours and some easy resort days.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy