Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Galtur/Ischgl

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
After skiing Kitzbuhel for the last 10 years, Im thinking having a change. A relative stayed in Galtur recently and said he had a great time, So we would stay in Galtur and ski the area. Any advice on the bus travel to/from Galtur/Ischgl, general ski area. Will be at least 3 good skiers. We have skied Tignes, 3 Valleys, La Plagne, Killington so like a varied terrain.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@skitech,
Galtur village where most of the accommodation is, is a short bus drive away from the Galtur ski area and a somewhat longer bus trip to Ischgl
I've always had a car when staying, but from memory there are frequent busses to Galturs skiing and less frequent to Ischgl's.

Galtur has a fairly small area but it is attractively varied. It is North facing at the head of the valley and is usually significantly colder than in Ischgl.
Ischgl's area is large attractive and varied, with skiing for all standards.
The lifts out of town in the morning can be busy as are the runs back at the end of the day. From what you have described of your skiing you should have a great time.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you are good skiers a day or 2 at Galtur will be enough. The bus to Ischgl takes about twenty minutes. Ischgl has much more skiing some of it fairly challenging.

I always stayed in or near Ischgl skiing Ischgl most of the time and only skiing Galtur if we wanted a quiet day.

Make sure you understand the different lift pass options before buying.

If having an apres ski drink at the Elizabeth bar raise one for me. I had great times there with mates.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Did just the same this year...

I've stayed in Ischgl several (9) times, and on most visits have skied Galtur for one day on each visit. Galtur is a great little area, despite being amere 43km of pisted runs, plus a massive amount of easily accessed off/side piste. A couple of hotels aropund the lift station area, but the majority of accomodation is a 5min bus ride away. We stayed in Galtur as we weren't bothered about a mega apres scene, and wanted to ski all the areas on Paznautal the full lift pass (Galtur, Iscghl, Kappl, See).on thisa occassion we stayed at the Fluchthorn, which benefits in having a mandatory bus stop directly opposite.
As always with Austria an efficient, free bus service connects everything.
If you are going to Ischgl use the bus and get off at Tunnel Prenner, or Florianplatz rather than Silvretterbahn which gets some impressive queues at peak morning times. Tunnel Prenner is also the place to change busses if you need to when going to Kappl or See (althought there are some busses which run to all four ski areas).
During our stay we skied Galtur two and a half days days (arrived early Very Happy although another one would have been nice, Kappl 1 day, See 1 day, Ischgl/Samnaun 3 days. I can honestly say that each day was brilliant> Galtu, Kappl, See are all about the same size, but brillant, with a good variet of runs, and side/off piste. In fact I was surprised how good both See and Kapple were..
Ischgl/Samnaun is pretty large as an area, as with all resorts some area are quieter than others, but everything is fun, Pistes are well maintained, Heidleberghutte is a nice little trip from the top of Piz Val Grohnda. Galturs best area in my view is the pistes and off pistes accessed from Breithspitzbahn.
Probably going back next year, as some friens have expressed an interest in doing the Whole Valley.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Busses are frequent and as say take about 20 min between Ischgl and Galtur.

Last bus from Ischgl back to Gatur is about 19:30 so you have the option of prime Ischgl apres if you want it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Some good advice above. Although the bus drops you right outside Silvrettabahn, you have to walk all the way round the building to the entrance (or the back of the queue). The queue does move fairly quickly because it's a big modern lift, but consider an early bus to get there before the folks recovering from the prime Ischgl apres. And Ischgl gets particularly busy at weekends so maybe choose those days to ski Galtur.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Only if you use the Silvrettabahn bus stop. There are quite a few different stops, the ones after Silvrettabahn being better for Pardatschgratbahn/Fimbabahn.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks everyone, Im sold Galtur/Iscgl it is for next season.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy