Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alex broke my skiing on Thursday ...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Arrived wed night and early Thursday AM serviced skis for valaisgrom and me while he grabbed some zzzz. Headed up to the hill and dropped over to Arnouva to see if anyone from Swiss Mountain Sports was lurking with clients. Yep, a gaggle of orange jackets. Tim had just finished a private lesson and Alex was at a loose end. After the usual greeting banter I mentioned an improvement in my steep skiing which caused Tim to say no no no that puts your shoulder in the wrong position! So Alex said to ValaisGrom and me - there’s no one on the hill, fancy some laps and we can look at that bit of technique. Yep...off we go. Note that I am on my ancient Volkl Sensor 2 rock skis and ValaisGrom is on banana skis - fully rockered Gotamas.

A few laps my ar”se. Alex absolutely puts us both through the wringer. Full on no nonsense coaching. That’s not right, nope that’s wrong. Grief why are you doing that. That’s old technique and this is why. Stop waving that hand. You don’t need to do this but if you do you’ll get loads more edge grip...

Fantastic stuff. Really analytic and supportive. As with the very best coaches, he broke it all apart and then put it back together, stronger and better.

We spend the whole morning and most of the afternoon railing the hill. No one on it, so boy can we let rip after each stop for analysis. We buy Alex lunch and get the last chair back over the hill to Barzettes.

And yesterday I made a quantum step change in my skiing - absolute tram tracks everywhere. And steep skiing jump turns suddenly more confident.

Two things to reflect on.

Old dogs and young dogs can always learn new tricks.

And since we were on ancient and unsuitable kit respectively, it’s the technique which trumps gear. If you want to enjoy skiing more, perhaps resist buying that new pair of skis as a promise of greater skill. That’s an illusion. If you want better skills - don’t get new skis, get some time with the right coaches...

Thanks Alex...hats off...
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

perhaps resist buying that new pair of skis

One of my best (old skool) learning experiences was being "forced" to spend 3 weeks "guiding" (showing them round the pistes) on a pair of 175cm, ~circa 1960 (?) Rossignols which had been mounted up with current bindings as the redoubtable owner of our ski rental wouldn't let any of his new skis out.

I think only the plastic bases and painted top sheets weren't wood.

My word, did I appreciate my nice new 7Ss when it snowed... Shocked
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Who is this ‘Alex’ of whom you so warmly speak?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@kditrj2d, One of Yves’ excellent squad at Swiss Mountain Sports in Crans Montana.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@under a new name,
Quote:

on a pair of 175cm, ~circa 1960 (?) Rossignols

I don't know whether the 1960's comment was just a figure of speech, but surely anything 175cm in length would be pretty modern?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
They might have been for an infant.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@foxtrotzulu, UANN has said before he is not very tall - I think 175 would be longer than him....
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dabbing my eyes here.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy