Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow careers & career changers

Poster: A snowHead
@boarder2020, Thanks for saying 'No' and then pretty much repeating exactly what I said Laughing Laughing Laughing You need to read the comment a little more precisely before replying.

Anyhow, have to get moving, another skiing day ahead Cool
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I read your comment. Yes you can be a lot fitter as a 50 year old than a 20 year old that doesn't do any exercise. Not really comparing apples to apples though - or what I was talking about which is you are better primed for athletic performance when younger. The studies do a pretty good job of comparing masters athletes (so guys that are performing at the top levels for their respective age groups) and show the physiological changes that occur. There is also some research suggesting longer recovery times as you age. I have lost interest (I'm sure the majority did a long time ago), so would encourage everyone to wait at least another 10 years or so before moving to a ski resort to keep the slopes empty for the rest of us snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Whilst not in the mountains Munich is pretty near (a lot of days the mountains are in view on the way to work, currently they are very clearly white) similar to Zürich and Geneva (potentially Lyon?). There are ski resorts within 40 minutes, day trips with the train are possible to some local resorts and places like Scheffau are just over an hour. Whilst not as convenient for mountain activities as living in say St Anton (or even Innsbruck) it does offer a much wider range of work and family possibilities, same as most cities. It would not be ideal for someone looking to create a career as a guide or instructor but it is much easier to find "proper" work in non tourism related sectors. German speaking countries are probably easier initially than France, simply because most folk speak English and there is less of a cultural problem with not speaking German than there is not speaking French in France. If you do stay for the longer term then you will need to speak reasonable German but that really should not be a big deal for anyone living full time. It is very possible to find work in Munich especially in IT related jobs even for those with no experience of Germany at all. A good place to pick up tips for finding work and navigating local rules and regs is the Local series of sites eg https://www.thelocal.de/ , https://www.thelocal.at/ , https://www.thelocal.ch/ , https://www.thelocal.fr/ etc.

Do note that medical insurance will be compulsory and is usually not cheap. An EHIC will not be acceptable for anything but short stays, UK annual travel insurance probably wont work either. You are very likely to have to sort social security and pension contributions too, no issue in a full time job more effort and hassle if running your own business or self employed.

Whilst I think that a mountain village or town might be the best option for a younger person for someone either with career or family concerns a city nearby to the mountains could well be the best option. Assuming no other distractions you can still get 80 plus days in the mountains and get in a non mountain holiday. Even with other distractions taken into account 30 to 40 days should be no issue at all.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Depends what job /career you have now. Do you have transferable skills? Could you freelance/consult? We could theoretically live in our place full time and have the kids in local school but opted to stay in the UK and be here during the holidays. Why? In our field, we might not have been taken so seriously if we were based in a ski resort. We still need to work every day and even starting early to catch the Asia offices, I would still not be finished until 1/2pm and then would need to work at night as well and that eats into family time. We did try it off and on when we first got our place but it just didn't suit us. Each to their own though. One of our has said she want to go to Uni in Annecy and thinks we should come and live in our place while she does that. Not sure how her twin will feel being left along at Uni in the UK mind you!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Working in a ski resort totally sucks.

The vast majority are low-wage, low-skill, low-status, low-ski, part-year jobs.

The best options are:

1. Get a proper job in a rich city near the slopes, like Munich. Ski every weekend for 6 months.

2. Work 6 months at home. Save hard. Ski 6 months abroad. No working.

3. Retire early. Rent out your house at home. Rent in a resort abroad for 6-12 months.

Avoid ski work at all costs.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If you didn't know what age you are what age would you be ?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Saw that on a poster once and think it's an interesting Q especially when thrown into a discussion such as above ...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Being more skilled at 50 than at 20 is a far more achievable goal.

It'll keep you skiing longer. And enjoying it more.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Whitegold wrote:
Working in a ski resort totally sucks.

The vast majority are low-wage, low-skill, low-status, low-ski, part-year jobs...

Avoid ski work at all costs.

I'm the exception I guess.

I love ski work.

Spend my winters based in the Niseko Resort Area of Hokkaido ski instructing - from 8-12 weeks depending on my better half's work schedule.

Private full-day lessons only. I have customers who've been with me for 10 seasons.

Off-season I do social media & digital marketing work for a Niseko based company from my base in Llandeilo, Wales.

Works for me, both financially and quality of life.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Old Man Of Lech wrote:
Must say I have to disagree with some of your misconceptions there. ...The lifetime limit on pension withdrawal is in excess of 1 million pounds a year!!! ...
The lifetime allowance is about a million per lifetime. That's broadly the amount you can invest, not the amount you take out.

It's been reducing steadily for the last few years. If you want an annuity then you can google how much a million will buy you. It isn't guaranteed to increase with inflation.
That million is Sterling, which may also be an issue if your expected expenditure is in other currencies.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@philwig, I think you might both be wrong. See the following website https://www.pensionsadvisoryservice.org.uk/about-pensions/saving-into-a-pension/pensions-and-tax/the-lifetime-allowance.
The definition is:
Quote:
The Lifetime Allowance is a limit on the amount of pension benefit that can be drawn from pension schemes – whether lump sums or retirement income – and can be paid without triggering an extra tax charge.

and from a summary pdf https://www.pensionsadvisoryservice.org.uk/content/spotlights-files/uploads/Lifetime_Allowance_SPOT021_V3.0.pdf
Quote:
There is no limit on the amount of pension savings you can build up. However, there is a restriction on the amount of pension savings, which a person may build up in a tax-favoured environment, and there is a tax charge if the total value of your pensions is more than this lifetime allowance. It is set at a high level, so it does not affect most people.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@tarrantd, I don't think philwig is wrong - it is a tax grab that hasn't registered with most people yet but for people just starting work I'd guess that many may butt up against the lifetime limit if they are motivated to seriously invest in their pension*. £1m doesn't buy a particular balling annuity for anyone retiring under the age of say 75. current rates might give you £70k pa at that age, £40k if you retire at 55

And once the tax relief is gone you might as well have the flexibility of cash to invest how you wish or splurge.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Dave of the Marmottes, BUT it's not a limit on what you put in but what it's worth when you take it out as pension or lump sum. So you might put in less than £1M but it might grow to over by the time it pays out or you might put in over a million and find it worth a lot less when you take it out. Once your fund is worth more than some amount (depends on the individual circumstances) then an annuity may not be a good way to invest it once you retire, rates are low and if you die earlier than expected the money goes to the company so good financial advice is essential YMMV.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm a refrigeration engineer....... Not much call for that in the Alps in winter. Sad ^
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pukmeister wrote:
I'm a refrigeration engineer....... Not much call for that in the Alps in winter. Sad ^
Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
@Pukmeister,
Quote:

I'm a refrigeration engineer....... Not much call for that in the Alps in winter. ^

I would have thought that an area with absolutely shed loads of Hotels, Restaurants, Chalets, and all their suppliers etc, all of whom need refrigerated storage for food, would have a pretty high demand for refrigeration engineers?
snow report
@tarrantd, There is an annual limit on what you can put in tax free as well which may well impact later in life once mortgages etc are paid off and you want to boost your pension. Put your precisely right on good advice and planning for scenarios - I suspect that annuities are fairly doomed given current rates - most people with money purchase pensions will look at the pot and prefer to draw down some income as they need it with the prospect of having something left to pass on.
ski holidays
@Dave of the Marmottes, The Annual allowance is currently the amount you earn (relevant, whatever that means) or 40k whichever is lower. If you are lucky enough to be in the earnings bracket where that's a problem then I suspect your financial adviser is giving you appropriate advice about how to invest it for the future.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy