Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Massive increase in MPI Insurance premium

Poster: A snowHead
Last year for Standard cover for a Family of 4 for Europe & Channel Islands with Cancellation Cover and Personal Effects cover deleted the cost was £209.05

This year there is no option to remove Cancellation Cover and Personal Effects cover and the cost has rocketed to £294.44

What's occuring...?

Is the Cancellation Cover and Personal Effects cover really the difference? Or have MPI's prices shot through the roof.

If I put in a search in gocompare for example nothing tops it...

I've used MPI for several years and never made a claim.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I too have used them for years. I have a couple of policies at least, seasonnaire and annual. The costs have definitely ramped up recently. I'll be doing some hard comparisons when renewals are due although I've been very satisfied with their flexibility and how they've dealt with a few modest claims.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Layne, I recently asked MPI about this, and it is because they have changed underwriters. The extra premium is I think about the cost of the cancellation and personal effects cover. I have always removed it as it wasn't needed, but I think it made about £60-70 difference to our premium.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Hells Bells, the change of underwriters may make a difference to the quality of claim-handling too, since the very nice in-house team will not be handling the claims themselves, as hitherto.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks all. I gone to Economy and Single Trip for now. I need to review more closely when I get back. I want good cover and I'm prepared to pay more for it but there are limits. I would imagine this will hit MPI's business.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It nay well hit their business if their competitors can provide the same cover (e.g. off piste, good for medical conditions etc) for cheaper prices.
But my suspicion is that all will be increasing their prices, for various same and different reasons/excuses.

Do you think that MPI's change in underwriters will affect their existing medical conditions cover?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Grizzler, it doesn't seem to have altered anything. I insured last year under the previous underwriters, and went to renew in March as usual, everything seemed to be the same. Claim forms on website are still addressed to their head office not to a claims company. It was only because I couldn't remove the un-necessary cancellation cover that I didn't renew.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Hells Bells, who are you with now?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Layne, I've used our Nationwide bank cover and bought the AAC cover for the ski and sporty stuff. We've also got contents cover etc with our French house insurance.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's a retrograde step to remove the option to do without cancellation cover - I've never covered cancellation or loss of personal effects etc. It doesn't make financial sense, in the long run, to pay to insure against risks you can afford to bear yourself. Perhaps the increasing cost of medical cover (reading Snowheads can leave none of us in any doubt about the frequency and extent of injuries!!) is being cross-subsidised by the other elements?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Hurtle, My dealings with MPI for a claim this year has gone well so far. Claims handlers have been more than helpful.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm another user of the Nationwide insurance bundled with their current account. Even if you get the account for no other reason, and pay the monthly fee it's still half what you were paying before and you get multi trip annual cover including winter sports. Add in things like the breakdown cover, mobile phone insurance etc. and it is very good value for money if those are the sorts of things you'd use.

There is a £100 switching bonus if you are referred by an existing customer. I'm happy to refer anyone who'd like that, as I would also get £100, so just drop me a message if that would be helpful.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I need to cover off piste without a guide (for all os us) and park'n'pipe (for the kids mostly).

I don't care about cancellation/gear, I can self insure that, I just need the above to not be fudged. And so many policies seem to either exclude or be unclear on those.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 12-04-19 12:51; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Nationwide bundled cover only includes off piste with a guide.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
T Bar wrote:
Indeed, I think that's why some people combine that with the Austrian climbing thing.
snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:
T Bar wrote:
Indeed, I think that's why some people combine that with the Austrian climbing thing.

Yes, that is why we did it.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
It's a retrograde step to remove the option to do without cancellation cover - I've never covered cancellation or loss of personal effects etc. It doesn't make financial sense, in the long run, to pay to insure against risks you can afford to bear yourself. Perhaps the increasing cost of medical cover (reading Snowheads can leave none of us in any doubt about the frequency and extent of injuries!!) is being cross-subsidised by the other elements?

Precisely, we have no need of it. If we have to cancel a trip, we haven't paid for accommodation if staying at our place, , and I can move our Eurotunnel booking to another time. My hotel is usually not paid for and I can cancel up to a couple of days before.

My Nationwide cover is free, but the option is no longer available for new Flex account holders, only as a paid option for Flexplus I think . No winter sports with free policy either, but you can upgrade if you are already a policy holder for £40.
ski holidays
@Hells Bells, how much did you save doing that? I stuck with MPI at the last renewal (and have claimed since then) but I'll have another look at the next renewal.

Another advantage of MPI over Nationwide, IIRC, is that they aren't ageist. But I'd need to double-check that.
snow report
(My claim was for cancellation.)
snow report
Looks like AAC Membership is £52.

Spouse is then £40 and then kids would be free... so £92 for me and my family. Which would mean if I could find general insurance for less than £200 I would be up. I am getting quotes as low as £40 out of gocompare.

AAC is the same/very similar to Carre/Carte Neige right?
ski holidays
Interesting news. I have always used MPI for my ski trips (although this season I managed a whole zero days Sad )

Regarding the Austrian Alpine Club insurance. Have people actually had any experience with claiming or using them and using other insurance in conjunction. From previous investigations it seems a bit dubious as to what they cover, ie where their cover starts and ends vs your other insurance. I would guess most people would use the AAC as top up on their "standard" insurance that does not cover off piste. So if you have an accident off piste, in theory AAC will get you off the hill and thats about it? Then your other insurance should take over? However if your other insurance doesn't cover injuries etc off piste, in theory they wont provide cover even though you are off the hill - if that makes sense. Is my understanding correct or am I way off here?
ski holidays
@BMG, it has repatriation, although £10k for treatment might not go far depending on where you are and what you have done

"Repatriation (without cost limitation) and medical treatment costs abroad (up to €10,000 per person and claim)"
latest report
Our experience is different, our latest renewal with MPI which is with the new underwriters went up by £10.72 from £249 to £259.72. For an older couple wanting more than 30 days skiing per year and with a total of 4 pre-existing medical conditions between us this represents excellent value for money especially as it will provide cover for the total of 13 weeks we shall be away for. Less than £5 per week each.
snow conditions
@Timc, interesting, as my quote for a Standard policy for a couple in their 50s with 31 days per trip skiing cover was over £300. It was less £188 without the cancellation and personal possessions cover the previous year.
latest report
@Timc, when was that?

And are you sure you have the same cover. Not saying you are dumb but they have the France/Europe split and three levels.
ski holidays
I renewed in October, Europe and Channel Isles, standard policy with winter sports. Our pre-existing conditions are stable so do not need additional cover or incur extra costs. The individual trip limits of 17 days winter sports and 30 days all other trips matches our holiday patterns.
MPI's current quote for us is £265 for their standard policy, £198.76 for economy and £344.51 for their Excel policy.
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:
@BMG, it has repatriation, although £10k for treatment might not go far depending on where you are and what you have done

"Repatriation (without cost limitation) and medical treatment costs abroad (up to €10,000 per person and claim)"

So if your treatment is more than £10k, would your "normal" travel insurance pick up the rest of the bill if it was as a result of an activity they don't cover? I'd wager the answer is no. I've always read cover for off piste as being far more than just getting you off the mountain, such as any medical costs associated with the incident.
snow report
@sugarmoma666, agreed..but if you are likely to be in hospital for more than 5 days they will repatriate you so that would limit the cost of treatment
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Are they covering their risks for the loss of EHIC cover I wonder?
snow report
@Hells Bells, Only significant difference I can see is your policy is 31 days per skiing trip against my standard 17, maybe your increased premium is due to the non-standard policy involving extra work and possibly perceived extra risk associated with longer trips.
We are in our mid 60's so in their 50-69 category. Have you just moved up an age category into your 50's?

@rob@rar, probably not yet as insurance tends to work in arrears and it's still not certain that we will leave the EU. Previous claims experience would indicate that although the insurance companies like you to present the E111 it wasn't compulsory.
snow conditions
@rob@rar, They did send out an email this year saying that current policies would be honoured this year but premiums were likely to rise in future due to Brexit, if EHIC cover was lost. My EHIC card worked wonders in Austria this year and that’s all the hospital wanted to see.
ski holidays
@geepee,
Quote:

My EHIC card worked wonders in Austria this year and that’s all the hospital wanted to see.

Whereas in France the hospitals would much rather see your insurance details than your EHIC as the EHIC only covers about 80% of the cost with the balance having to be covered by you or your insurance plus the insurance companies pay them quicker than the French State. It can be a real battle to make them take the EHIC details.
latest report
MPI was a crazy price for me up about 60%. Fortunately I was covered by one day for my trip so didn't need it. Definitely shopping around next year.
latest report
MPI have been very pragmatic and flexible in helping set up long term policies for me. They've even paid (small) claims even when their loss adjusters refused.

It means a lot but cost is obviously important.
snow conditions
With regard to the AAC cover you need to bear in mind that it is primarily designed for Austrian residents, all of whom will have medical insurance . The medical element of the AAC insurance is simply a "top up" to cover immediate costs for example in a private clinic or maybe in a remote location where costs would have to be paid immediately. Longer term ongoing treatment would be covered by the individual's own medical insurance. For UK residents using the NHS the premise is a bit different, currently in combination with a EHIC this should be adequate ie if treatment in a private resort clinic is needed that will be covered but the expectation would be to then move to a "public" hospital is if more treatment is required before returning "home". What the situation might be in the future is unknown.

What the medical insurance will not cover is rescue costs as a result of a leisure activity accident exactly what the AAC cover provides.
snow conditions
@Timc, not in our experience. The GP wanted paid but the hospital asked for the EHIC not the insurance details.

@munich_irish, very similar to French Carte Neige cover in fact. We used AAC as it was easier to apply for. You can take out additional cover for single trips if you need it.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy