Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Zealand

Poster: A snowHead
Hey

So i am interested in doing a season teaching out in New Zealand, but know very little about the resorts out there.
I was just wondering if anyone has any information about places out there - good or bad?

Thanks guys

Helen
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bigidiboo, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

I spent a day skiing in NZ...at coronet peak. I enjoyed it, but it's not the biggest resort in the world!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I spent some time skiing in NZ south island about 10years ago. I travelled around about 8 ski fields (NZ speak). The resorts are pretty small in comparison to Alps, probably more like Scotland. The snow conditions are better than Scotland, but being an Island just like here the weather is pretty changable. If you do head that way make sure you try some of the so called club fields, these are small ski areas with cheap old ropes tows, no piste bashers, but surpringly good skiing and cheap. The best is probably Craigieburn, http://www.craigieburn.co.nz/home.htm. I stayed here for a week in one of the lodges, pretty basic, limited power, no bar when I was there, but well worth a visit. There are of course the more established resorts. Queenstown is the place to head for all around goodtime. A book I picked up whilst in NZ was http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1869412524/026-8761622-3298012?tag=amz07b-21, doesn't look as if it's been updated since I was there, but I guess not too much has changed.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Elizabeth B wrote:
bigidiboo, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

I spent a day skiing in NZ...at coronet peak. I enjoyed it, but it's not the biggest resort in the world!!

neither is Waterville Valley Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ise,
Quote:

neither is Waterville Valley

Maybe NZ would be a bit warmer though? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
bigidiboo, welcome. Mt Hutt is pretty good from what I've heard/read. As waynos said, head for Queenstown.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bigidiboo, Gidday mate,

Plenty of places to choose from. Over 20 ski fields thoughout the country.
In the North Island you have the two biggest fields (Whakapapa and Turoa)both on Mt Ruapehu and owned by one company so covered by one pass. Season runs from June to Nov but if the snows good can still be open around christmas. Great feeling to snow ski in the morning then water ski on lake Taupo in the afternoon. as its a volcano on a plato and it can get very icy. Need sharp edges on that baby.
Although the two big fields are in the North, most of the sking is in the Sth Island.
Two places jump to mind. Wanaka and Queestown. These two towns are an hour from one another and cover some excellent skiing with the likes of Trebble Cone, Cadrona, Coronet Peak, Remarkables, Snow Park and more. Also reknowned for some of the best Helisking in the world and arguably the best in the Sth Hemisphere. Used to hold the world powder 8s but not sure if they still do.
Moving up the Sth you head past twizal andTekepo. At least another 4 or 5 fields around here. Both very up and coming towns and many international teams train here in the sth season then up to To Mt Hutt and some very good club fields already mentioned about an hr out of Christchurch.
North of Christchurch you have places like Mt Lyford and Rainbow. Both very good if the snows good.

If you were to instruct for a season you can try Mt Ruapehu who look to employ instructors from abroard with ISIA quals. http://www.mtruapehu.com/jobs.asp?offset=30

The other and prob the most obvious choice is Queenstown or Wanaka. Both excellent fun towns.

Start looking into it now as this is the time to apply for work up the mountains in NZ.

The link below pretty much covers all the ski areas.
http://www.snow.co.nz/areas/area_index.asp

My personal favourite ski area is to stay in Wanaka and ski Trebble Cone when I want to let rip and Cadrona on the lazy days for just cruising.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 10-03-06 17:46; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowbunny wrote:
ise,
Quote:

neither is Waterville Valley

Maybe NZ would be a bit warmer though? Toofy Grin

There's a seriously attractive waitress at the bar at the bottom of Waterville, my friend and I were quite smitten with her Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ise,
Quote:

There's a seriously attractive waitress at the bar at the bottom of Waterville, my friend and I were quite smitten with her

You go all the way to the US, and find an excuse to sit in a bar rolling eyes. And I thought that you were a keen skier Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you are heading for the North Island for skiing check the volcanic activity forecast! When I was in NZ Ruapehu was active and the skiing was rather sensibly closed.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I did a season in Wanaka and of all the local resorts, Treble Cone was my best by far. It isn't big, but it is less crowded that the others and the terrain is more interesting. I think they have put in a couple of new lifts since I was there in 2003, so it might be more popular now.

Look out for the specials that the heli-ski operations do. When business is slow they do 2 for 1offers and other discounts.

Other advice - don't leave too soon. The best snow we had was right at the end of the season when a lot of the ski bums had left already.

You will have a blast Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bigidiboo, Like Duvet I think you'll love NZ. It's got so much to offer. I'd love to spend a season there. I also agree that Treble Cone is more interesting/challenging than Cardrona. You might want to have a look at Queenstown which "serves" TC. We stayed in Wanaka but visited Queenstown a few times. I thought Wanaka perfect for families and our children had a fantastic time. Queenstown is much bigger and livlier.
The thing is that in NZ the norm is not to stay in the resort but in a town and then drive daily to the resort. So it you want to ski TC for example you could base yourself either in Wanake or Queenstown. I think Cardrona is a bit far from Queenstown so if you wanted Cardrona you'd stay in Wanaka.
There are loads of sites covering this and all v user friendly as is everything NZ. But then again I'm a big fan.
We 'did' Mt Hutt but were there when conditions were dreadful and it lived up to it's "mt Shut" reputation, so it left us underwhelmed but we were unlucky.
We also found the instructors were the best we'd ever had. Our children learned more there than anywhere else. The difference between the NZ attitude and say ESF is that the instructors made it an enjoyable learning experience rather than an dull, unintelligible ordeal which had all too often been the case elswhere. Go for it
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowbunny wrote:
ise,
Quote:

There's a seriously attractive waitress at the bar at the bottom of Waterville, my friend and I were quite smitten with her

You go all the way to the US, and find an excuse to sit in a bar rolling eyes. And I thought that you were a keen skier Laughing

The excuse to go in the bar was that it was very, very cold, the waitress made it seem like worth staying a while Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ise,
Quote:

The excuse to go in the bar was that it was very, very cold, the waitress made it seem like worth staying a while

As I suspected behaviour, indicating a lack of hard core commitment Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bigidiboo,
Quote:

any information about places out there - good or bad?

What olpanije & kiwi1 said. But what's good/bad depends on what you're used to. For example when I first came over from NZ I thought Meribel was the best skiing place ever. Have seen a fair bit more snow since then, my perception's changed. ....

There's also a few fundamental differences (c.f. Northern Hemisphere) in the way the ski-industry is set up in NZ, and the Kiwi attitude to its skiing industry.

For example waynos Waynos talks about "resorts" in NZ. Which is plain wrong, coz NZ doesn't have resorts. He's refering to service towns that happen to be handy(ish) to the ski fields.

olpanije, on the other hand only spent a day on Mt Hutt and unfortunately it lived up to it's reputation. But my husband spent all his youth skiing Mt Hutt and loves it, and it has a reputation for having the best snow of commercial fields in NZ.

See what I mean?

So. What're you used to?
latest report
Skiied Ruapehu for a day. Was enough. Bitingly cold wind forced place to shut for afternoon. Was told it's quite common. I got some money back on my lift pass. 'Resort' was also small and uninspiring. 25min drive to skiing.
Suggest you try skiing the Alps in summer as they will probably be more interesting!
latest report
lemanieg, That is like spending a day in Nice and drawing the conclusion that France is a country populated by fur coat wearing, poodle pampering pensioners.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy