Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to buy boots? - Profeet or in VT?

Poster: A snowHead
Should I buy my boots at Profeet on Fulham Road, or in Val Thorens at the EOSB?

And if the latter, then where?

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Don't know if still open or you would be able to get there but boot lab in meribel is spoken highly of on here.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
WASHOUT wrote:
Don't know if still open or you would be able to get there but boot lab in meribel is spoken highly of on here.

A mere 50km cab ride... each way.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@CR, or an easy ski? Depends when the links close, I guess, and what else you're doing on the EoSB.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@CR, go to Profeet, if they can't fix you up try in VT. better be quick making the appt....
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@mgrolf, links close on Monday 22nd, so I read
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If buying in VT - ask one/more of the Prosneige instructors who the best boot guys/girls in town are that they use. They should know. It might even be the Prosneige shop but if they recommend somewhere else that is a strong recommend in my book.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It’s a long way to Fulham if they need fine tuning when you’re away....I suggest you buy in resort by a recommended boot fitter, if they need tweaking you just call back in. Plus ime they have more models choice and up to date stocks. I know others will vehemently disagree on here, but I’ve bought a couple of pairs in U.K. and had issues, and bought similarly in resort, I’d choose the latter every time in future. I’d advocate a trip to see Graeme at Rivington who did my custom insoles for me (really worthwhile) and cuff alignment beyond that I’d always going forwards buy in resort.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Markymark29 wrote:
It’s a long way to Fulham if they need fine tuning when you’re away....I suggest you buy in resort by a recommended boot fitter, if they need tweaking you just call back in.

That's assuming CR either only skis Val Thorens or is only going to need boot fit tweaks during the week they buy their boots. If that's not the case I'd suggest it's probably further for them to travel from the UK/divert from aanother resort to get them tweaked.

I got my boots from ProFeet and didn't have any immediate fit issues. About 6 weeks in I had one of the (rather shitty designed) buckles break on one boot and the year before last I found the heal pocket was getting a bit loose. In both cases it was much easier to get to Pro Feet between trips to have the buckles replaced/extra heal cup padding added than it would have been just wait till I did a trip back to whichever resort I'd bought the boots in.

There's also the time question. When I'm in a ski resort I like to be skiing if the lifts are open, or apres skiing/eating/sleeping when they aren't. I know I wouldn't want to spend any longer than absolutely necessary sat in a ski shop trying on boots. Come the middle of July though I'm more than happy to spend 3hrs sat in ProFeet in the hunt for the best possible fit.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's a tradeoff. Proper UK fitter vs resort sales assistant no question. But a lot to be said for testing the fit in resort over a week and getting it incrementally tweaked than trying to remember the problems and get them fixed back home then not being able to try out the changes.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
2 pairs from Pro-feet, no tweaks needed until after I bust my knee, which they then did FOC pre-season.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@CR, as @Markymark29 says you would be better off buying in October when they have the full range.

My preference would be for UK. I bought new boots in the Autumn and have needed no tweaks. And as someone points out any future modifications would be mean going back to the same shop otherwise you will have to pay.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you buy from Profeet, you can spend a couple of hours at Hemel to run them in and then return to Profeet for any needed tweeks, which is what I did. I have skied about 18 weeks in those boots. They still fit tightly and comfortably, and look as though they will carry on for a good time still.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That's sounding very much like buying from ProFeet in October, taking them to Oktobertest at Hemel and ending up buying a pair of skis too Smile
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I bought boots recently in VT. I was on my second pair of hire boots which were now really soft (75 flex) and I was fed up with the lack of control.

Ski instructor recommended "Ludo" (owner of) Magasin Sport 2000 Top Sports in the complex / shopping centre with the swimming pool top of the stairs on left. Ludo wasn't there but I got measured up anyway and apparently have very wide feet. Alas though they had nothing that wide in stock. They said the best selection of boots are available at the start of the season and then to their credit recommended another "Ludo" (popular name in VT) in The Zenith Ski Shop.

Ludo II was excellent. Remeasured and went thro 3 - 4 pairs of boots, eventually setting for a pair of wide fitting Atomics (110 flex). I duly tested them out, came back later and had some of the buckles reset. The rest of the week was a joy. Very pleased with the purchase and after sales service. Of course came home with a nice bottle down each boot to boot.
ski holidays
Another recommendation for Zenith ski shop in Val Thorens. Go on your first day and you have the full week for any adjustments. Don’t sweat it if you need an adjustment afterwards - any ski shop will do it and you just pay for the work.

https://www.zenith-skishop.com/en/bootfitting/

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 10-04-19 8:26; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Profeet have started their end of season boot sale already, so there are some decent potential savings to be had, assuming they still have your size.

https://shop.profeet.co.uk/collections/ski-boots-manual?mc_cid=9ae1d078be&mc_eid=15c102695a
snow report
I recommend Profeet. I had to go 3 times there before finally got it right but they never showed any discomfort when I said there was something wrong and wanted an appointment for adjusting.
latest report
+1 recommendation for Zenith, good stock and the fitter knows what he is doing. Mrs. O is very happy with her boots, no more wasting first couple of days of the holiday to find a tolerable pair.
snow report
Another big vote for Profeet, after years of pain with hire boots (big bony ankles) they sorted me with a great pair which have fitted me perfectly. No hard sell...after measuring me up they recommended a boot which they didn’t have in for another six months, so were happy for me to come back in later in the year, no charge for the work already done.
snow report
I was in VT last week and had a very disappointing experience with Zenith.

The salesman measured my foot (it’s wide) and then presented me with a boot. He didn’t ask my experience or anything until I said “errr do you not need to know my experience” and then he asked and said “yeah that boot is fine”

My foot was squished and I said it was too small and narrow. He said they could punch it wider no problem. Up to any width I needed. I asked to try the bigger size but he said no, this was the right size (relevant) my foot is 248mm and he sold me the 24.5 when I’m sure I could have at least tried the 24.5 as I’m so close to the cusp.

So the next day I collected the boot and it was still way too narrow. They said ski on it and see. I managed a few hours and had to take the boot off as my foot was agony and freezing cold. I went back and it was another man this time (I think the owner) and he said they couldn’t widen it anymore. I said the salesman had sworn that if I bought this boot they could adjust it perfectly. The owner measured my foot and said I could try the next size up. I explained that I’d wanted to do that the day before and the salesman said no.

We had a bit of a standoff as I’d given them €200 on the promise that the boot would be adjusted to fit even tho I told the salesman at the time it was way too narrow and now the owner was saying it couldn’t be hammered any wider.

To his credit he apologised and gave me a full refund on the boot. I later had a private lesson and the instructor recommended intersport as they have a 3D foot scanner.

So I’ll try intersport next year (I couldn’t be bothered this year after the hassle with zenith)
latest report
That's really disappointing to hear. I had a problem with a boot I'd bought elsewhere that used to fit perfectly and when I went to VT over Xmas and put it on it was sending my foot numb after about 20 minutes. Zenith charged me 30 euro and then must have adjusted it half a dozen times over the course of the week I was there in order to get it working for me again.
snow report
@Stinkpickle, wow that's really bad. Glad that eventually they refunded you the money but the bad experience can be reverted. Sometimes it is just one bad staff to ruin the reputation of a nice place.
ski holidays
The boss, Gerard, if he’s still there? And head tech, Armand were wizards with ski boots when I was there several years ago. I’ve got difficult feet and bought 2 pairs of Nordicas and a pair of touring boots from them that they got fitting like a glove.
snow report
I'd always buy in the UK. My current boots came from Profeet. The fitting was excellent (blew out the right side to fit in my 'sixth toe'), but after the first weekend of skiing it didn't feel right and I took them back in for some more tweaking. Now perfect. Could never have gone back in again if I'd bought overseas (although I suppose you could argue that if I'd bought on day 1 then skied, I could have resolved it then, but I'd never do it that way round myself.
ski holidays
@iainm, strange logic? If they don’t fit properly, and you’re on a week long trip, you’ve got a week skiing uncomfortable boots or pay a local shop to fix them???

The key is to find a good boot fitter. If you can find one in resort I don’t understand the logic of buying in the UK unless that is where you are skiing.
latest report
@CR, I would be a bit concerned st this stage in the season that the stock levels will be pretty low and you might have to buy what is left, either in VT or Profeet. You could be lucky of course.
snow report
@BobinCH,
Quote:

unless that is where you are skiing.

For me that's a fairly crucial point. I would aim not to leave the buying of new boots to the last minute before a holiday abroad. And, since I go to Hemel regularly, there would be ample opportunity to test them and get any tweaks done before the holiday. Result: no time spent in the boot shop while abroad. That said, no tweaks were ever required to the boots I bought nearly ten years ago (at Solutions4Feet, but with footbeds purchased at Profeet.)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy