Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Learn new things

Poster: A snowHead
Is it too late to learn snowboarding at the of age 30? snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you think it is, it is.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No, but it may be too old to enjoy it. Sad
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I wish I could turn back time. for the moment I will try to learn it and enjoy it. Cool
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Too old at 30?? Only if you are a lazy, uncoordinated wimp.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm at my 30's and I think that I am old. My strength and mobility is very different when I was at my 20's. Though it will not hinder me to learn snowboarding. Just been wondering what will be the health benefit of snowboarding. Puzzled
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@majusuperb, Do more sports. I am also in my 30s, and because I hike, ski, climb and cycle, I am in much better shape (and a bit lighter) than I was in my 20s. You make 30 sound like 80, although around here there are plenty of eighty year olds still riding their bikes and hiking up mountains.

Learning to snowboard will make you stronger and help your body get used to taking impacts. Buy body armour.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I thought this thread was an April Fools' Madeye-Smiley
You can't be serious @majusuperb, you shouldn't place limits on what you can learn/achieve at any age, let alone your 30s! Marcel Hirscher is 30 FFS Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@majusuperb, snowboarding is great for legs, core and flexibility. Plus it offers unparalleled quantities of fun.

And the oldest learner I met was an 82yo lady at Mt. Baker, so you can still wait 50 years and still not be the oldest learner.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I first put on skis at 35 and last month tried boarding at 51. Knackers you out getting up all the time though.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@majusuperb, first learnt to ski when I was 25, started boarding when I was 30. Am sure you will enjoy it!!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w wrote:
Too old at 30?? Only if you are a lazy, uncoordinated wimp.
Rofl, don't hold back there Pam! .
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@majusuperb, think that you need to not limit yourself. A sense of humour and positive outlook will carry you through many things in life. As long as you enjoy it go for it.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
majusuperb wrote:

No
I was mid to late 30s when I first strapped myself to a plank of wood to hurtle down the mountains.
my mate swapped from ski's to board after a knee injury when he was 40.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I started snowboarding a couple of years ago at the age of 39. Through most of my 30s I raced karts at club and occasionally national level, and took up street dance at the age of 40. Never too old for anything Smile Although do get adequate padding for boarding, you fall over a lot...
ski holidays
I think that's the thing with learning to board, I wouldn't mind trying but I can't be arsed to keep falling over all the time. Also having to sit/kneel down every time you stop. And suddenly realising everywhere is much flatter than you thought.
latest report
Wow, I'm glad I've put myself to this forum, lot of helpful and encouraging thoughts. I've been heavy for few years, this might be my good start to break the ice. Thank you guys. snowHead
snow report
Quote:

Also having to sit/kneel down every time you stop

For short stops it's possible to stay standing with minimum discomfort. For longer stops sitting is more comfortable. Once you get past beginner level and providing you have half decent level of fitness is there really much need to stop?
latest report
Good grief no! I know many people, including we gentle womenfolk, who've started boarding in their 50s.
Once you get good and used to things (which isn't too long at all on a board) it's not tiring any more or less than skiing is. At first I thought it was a lot less tiring. Now I ride faster and harder and my legs get a blinking good work out.
Buy lots of bum, hip, shoulder and knee padding. Avoid drag lifts. Get up by facing uphill, not down. Do up bindings standing up. Enjoy Cool
ski holidays
HoneyBunny wrote:
And suddenly realising everywhere is much flatter than you thought.

And suddenly realising that your boots are super light, comfy and easy to walk in and your board really easy and light to carry, and takes about 10 seconds to remove from feet and trot with to next steeper bit...
latest report
majusuperb wrote:

Slightly different but my Dad didn't ski until he was 65. He'll be on the EoSB in a few weeks, aged 69, and it's his third week of the season...he still says he isn't a huge fan of skiing, but I think he's lying snowHead

I don't find that skiing itself helps my fitness, but I do more stuff through the off season to help my skiing. Initially it can feel like really hard work though, layers are a good idea as I found that I fluctuated temperature a lot. Wrist guards are a good idea for beginner boarders too.
snow conditions
boarder2020 wrote:
...Once you get past beginner level and providing you have half decent level of fitness is there really much need to stop?

I never stop on a run unless I'm behind a guide who does for whatever reason, or if I have to help someone.
Sitting down, failing to assess terrain, and falling aren't really issues with practice.

I think if people dabble without putting enough effort in to get past the novice stage, then they will come away
talking about things which aren't relevant to most riders.

--
Grizzler wrote:
...your boots are super light

Funny you should mention that - I ride hard boots and boot weight did annoy me because I carry my boots as hand-baggage.
However this year's model uses carbon fiber and other smarts to manage 1086g a foot.
How much do modern soft boots weigh, just so I know how much further I need the technology to advance?
ski holidays
@philwig, just weighed Mr G's boots - size 12 UK and the stiffest 'soft' boots he could get about 3 years ago (K2s), so by no means the lightest available. 1kg dead on each boot.
ski holidays
(Thanks! That makes me feel even better about these [Atomic Badland Carbon]. There's binding weight and stuff too, but at least I know I'm in the right area. They weigh actually 1,208g a foot for 27.5cm. Stiff as carbon fibre, mind wink )
ski holidays
@majusuperb, In answer to your question....

Nope

I am an old dog
I like new tricks

New 853 COTIC hardtail - chuck it down the singletrack
Manuals - rubbish at them. But working on them.
Jumps - extend those legs and push those pedals forward.
Get on ValaisGrom’s longboard - huge fun.

I am 61.
snow report
Grizzler wrote:

And suddenly realising that your boots are super light, comfy and easy to walk in

Most definitely an advantage! My ski boots are in fact very comfy, but definitely far from light or easy to walk very far in!
snow conditions
Golden age it is. I felt warm in my feet when I'm reading your comment. Good to hear. Cheers mate snowHead !
ski holidays
The only real health risk I'm aware of as a middle aged snowboarder is that women definitely find snowboarders more attractive than skiers of a similar age, which can have detrimental effects on the back and thigh muscles.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@hang11,... That, and delusions. Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy