Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Luggage Holdalls (not ski bags)

Poster: A snowHead
I'm after a couple of new holdalls for future ski trips, our previous DaKine Split Holdall 15 year old ones have been great but are on the relatively heavy side, and they aren't waterproof (our clothes were wet when we unpacked last night, our flight was delayed at Zurich by 2 hours and I suspect they sat on the runway for 2 hours in sleet conditions.......not a big issue on way home but i'd not want to go skiing if we'd arrived in resort and all our kit was wet). Things may have moved on from when we bought ours.....?

So, TNF do big expensive looking holdalls (but with varied reviews regards durability, presumably mass produced in a sweatshop somewhere in far east and branded so can seell at a premium.....are they all that?), DB do good stuff (at a price), what has anyone got that is worth me looking at please, DaKine current stuff water resistant?.....needs to meet the follwoing criteria:-

- be robust as to be thrown on/ off planes by ground staff
- waterproof/ resistant
- 100L (ish) capacity
- wheels/ pull handle
- be reasonably lightweight but not flimsy
- Durable

I've seen Sportsdirect bags Nevica at £49.99 but they look a tad flimsy and built to last?

Look forward to hearing if anyone has any recommendations please.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Markymark29, I use Samsonite hard cases. They fit all of your criteria, but can be a bit Marmite. I've had two since around 2002 and I think they may even have a lifetime warranty; certainly it was easy to get replacement parts out of Samsonite UK when the handle came off after 14 years! Buy in a bright colour and never miss your case on the carousel again!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This is the bag I got recently.

Have to be a little careful not to put so much in that I don’t go over 23kg Happy

Pleased with quality of it.

https://www.revelationlondon.com/monza-dlx-mega-decker-trolley-bag-navy?gclid=CjwKCAiA4t_iBRApEiwAn-vt-5z2VqQUdOsSEU10fO8miR7xNlTXI6ZFe-Dp1XotjaHe1K0U4TEjYxoCBKwQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Markymark29, Nevica bags will last about 4-5 return flights in my experience. Last one straps parted from bag, zip failed and base next to wheels deformed over the course of an outbound flight and during trip, made getting everything home a bit interesting and involved a lot of tape. Wouldn't bother with them again.

Had a good experience with Surfanic bags as holdalls but not really waterproof/resistant material.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have a couple of the Nevica bags 91L which are currently at £35.
Can't fault them and they've done about 30 return trips. The retractable handle on one is a bit wobbly but still fine. Not sure how waterproof they would be in really heavy rain.

I've also got a Dakine split roller but its not as easy to pack and is heavier so haven't used it for years.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If you can cope without wheels - or buy a cheap plastic luggage trolley from the internet (EB or Amazon, about £1Cool - there's some suitable-sounding Berghaus, Mountain Equipment, Rab, North Face (expensive) and Decathlon ones out there which look good. Tough, rucksac-style options, waterproof, very lightweight indeed. Just been researching this myself, went for the Decathlon 80l, which expands to 120l one in the end, as a good price (£45?) and a 10 year guarantee. Will then get a lightweight wheeled trolley or Heath Robinson the wheels off my old knackered bag.
The Berghaus 100/120l ones were on sale about the same price in Millets (+ EB, Amazon etc) with a lifetime guarantee, the Rabs at Cotswold Outdoor.
They are all now called trekking holdalls or kit bags.

Otherwise, Mr G got a very nice wheeled one, huge capacity (weight about 3.5kg) but the ticket says 80l (no way! More like 120+) from Snow & Rock in the sales last year; about £80+ otherwise? Seems good quality.

Waterproof wise, just pack everything in plastic bags (small or use a bin-bag type liner. Then I'd look at Surfanics and others, too.

Watch the stated litres in general: they often seem to be about the same main dimensions, and capacity seems to include side and outer pockets.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Over the various trips I've built up a selection that I can select from.

Dakine 100lts split roller. has a handle an wheels, due to weight it takes up a fair slice of some economy luggage allowances, can't really get my helmet in.

Mountain equipment dufflle bag, hold about 100/120 lts, I can get boots, helmet, clotes in, very waterproof. doesn't have wheels, handles designed to double as shopulder straps,
weight bug all so i get the most from luggage allowances. This is by far the cheapest of the bags, but gets atleast one trip to the alps each year.

Snow and rock rollers (with wheels), one with handle, one without. both have seperate compartments at each end. The one with handle and wheels is a little stigger/rigid. Both are circa 100/120ltr, gets helmet, boots, all ski and liesure clothes in. They come up a kg or so lighter than the Dakine.

I just choose which ever fits the trip best. Where possible I use airport trolleys, so wheels are often redundant.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Markymark29, if you can manage without wheels, TNF base camp duffles (or equivalent from other brands) are pretty bomb proof. Not perfectly waterproof because of the zip, but better than most suitcases. I've used a couple for my last 2 trips and don't miss the wheels. YMMV of course.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Always wanted an ogio 9800, but at 6kgs for the bag alone it's too heavy on a 20kg allowance.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have a TNF one , no wheels, but shoulder straps. It's around 100 litres, I can't remember, it's well over 20 years old and still very functional with no issues at all. It's got a lot of use, my lad took it to Whistler for 2 seasons and some touring around the US with it also.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My Nevica at £49.99 has done a few trips and although it looks a bit flimsy it's been OK so far. I always pack clothes in a plastic bag to try and avoid the "left out in the rain" syndrome.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks all so far great suggestions - I’ll look at your above recommendations, I like the idea of ditching the wheels altogether but the idea of carrying 40kg for me and mrsmm29 on and off trains may be a deciding factor!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Markymark29, especially if you've got a ski bag to manoeuvre as well. Add a 10 min walk to the hotel, and you've put your back out before you've even started wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Scarlet, mmm
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Markymark29, I find that the duffle bags are easier to manhandle on and off trains, planes etc. They have more grab handles and slide around pretty easily. However, if you have to carry 2 full bags, plus skis, plus hand luggage (and can't use a trolley) any distance, then you'll curse the lack of wheels. Unless you are bigger and stronger than me (which isn't saying much Confused Laughing ).
latest report
I have 2 Surfanic bags, seem to be holding up well so far. I don’t think many bags will survive the rough baggage handling these days.
snow report
I have a Helly Hansen wheeled bag which is around 90L and has survived several trips unscathed. Waterproof PU type material on the top and hard base/bottom Has all the handles etc of a duffle bag but is also wheeled. Something like this but was rather cheaper when I got it from Amazon!

https://www.dressinn.com/fashion/helly-hansen-explorer-l-trolley-90l/136791227/p
ski holidays
Have used a couple of Dakine split roller bags for years, and they are great, but recently swapped for Lowe Alpine AT bags - a duffel and a kit bag. Really impressed - bomb proof, light weight and would guess at reasonably water resistant.

https://lowealpine.com/uk/at-wheelie-120-38 is a wheeled version
snow conditions
@Markymark29, we have been using the TOG24 ones for quite some time and they are light sturdy and waterproof, Mrs Radar has just replaced hers after many years and lots of Duck tape with the new version https://www.tog24.com/bootham-100l-roller-dark-grey-marl.html.
ski holidays
I use Mountain Equipment
https://pricespy.co.uk/fashion-accessories/bags/suitcases-bags/mountain-equipment-roller-kit-bag-100l--p2575119
latest report
Got a big TNF Basecamp Duffle, 95l if I remember right with rucksack straps I won in a competition a few years ago, has survived multiple trips stuffed full of ski, offshore yacht racing and general holiday kit and still looks as good as new. Doubt I'd have splashed out that much on soft bag on my own accord but if this one ever gives up would replace it with same no problem.
snow report
Bob wrote:
Snow and rock rollers (with wheels), one with handle, one without. both have seperate compartments at each end. The one with handle and wheels is a little stigger/rigid. Both are circa 100/120ltr, gets helmet, boots, all ski and liesure clothes in. They come up a kg or so lighter than the Dakine.

Another vote for Snow & Rock bags. Had ours for 5 or 6 years now, no issues with them at all.
ski holidays
Thanks for all the feedback folks, I have to say I like @Ray Zorro, ME bag but its out of stock everywhere i've looked which is a pity. Thinking I need wheels.

Anyone any experience of this......looks good but not sure how durable (and light) it is:-

https://www.sportsdirect.com/hot-tuna-tuna-travel-xl-duff92-708084?colcode=70808403&utm_source=criteo&utm_medium=display&utm_campaign=retargetingtral
snow conditions
@Markymark29, a 90L one is available
https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/voyager-90l-wheelie-holdall-p12608.aspx/Black/?rrec=true

Edit: Sorry - that one is Mountain Warehouse rather than Mountain Equipment.
latest report
I've been using one of the big TNF duffle bags since 2008, and it's been great - loads of room, super light, durable, *almost* waterproof.

Can pretty much always find one on sale somewhere, and HH, ME and a bunch of other brands have pretty much the exact same thing. Cotswold Outdoor used to have the ME version pretty much permanently on sale.

If you don't mind a couple of weeks delivery time you can find unbranded versions for cheap on AliExpress too...
snow conditions
@Markymark29,

I've got two NF holdalls that I've used for more than 20 years FWIW.
Also have a very similar ME one which is just as good.
Have a Berghaus one with wheels which is newer, looks less rugged but holding up well at the moment.

In fairness we haven't been flying with them for skiiing the last few years. Do use them for summer holidays and chucking in the back of the car.
snow conditions
NickyJ wrote:

Have to be a little careful not to put so much in that I don’t go over 23kg Happy

https://www.revelationlondon.com/monza-dlx-mega-decker-trolley-bag-navy?gclid=CjwKCAiA4t_iBRApEiwAn-vt-5z2VqQUdOsSEU10fO8miR7xNlTXI6ZFe-Dp1XotjaHe1K0U4TEjYxoCBKwQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I've got a couple of these (one large and one medium) and they're great but they're a bit on the heavy side if total hold luggage weight is an issue. On last weeks trip to Zermatt I was only just able to come in under the 15kg allowance including boots using the medium size bag. Wouldn't have been a problem with 20kg or 23kg but that's another story.

One of our guys has a Karrimor bag from SD that is larger than the bag I use but only weighs 1.5kg. It seems quite robust as he's had it for several years and makes several trips per year (not all skiing).
snow conditions
halfhand wrote:
NickyJ wrote:

I've got a couple of these (one large and one medium) and they're great but they're a bit on the heavy side if total hold luggage weight is an issue. On last weeks trip to Zermatt I was only just able to come in under the 15kg allowance including boots using the medium size bag. Wouldn't have been a problem with 20kg or 23kg but that's another story.

One of our guys has a Karrimor bag from SD that is larger than the bag I use but only weighs 1.5kg. It seems quite robust as he's had it for several years and makes several trips per year (not all skiing).

You already have been suggested this bag: https://www.revelationlondon.com/monza-dlx-holdall-navy-1823

and it is actually on sale for £39 + you can get extra 10% discount by using revelation discount code: https://www.voucherbutler.com/revelation

This bag has got 5 star review.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Take a look at Lomo. I have a couple of their bags.

http://www.lomo.co.uk/acatalog/Dry-Dag-Holdalls.html
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy