Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

It's killing me holding off booking Easter week

Poster: A snowHead
So here I am, desperately waiting to book Easter week, w/c Sat 13th April.

I'm kicking myself for last week for not booking bargain BA flights I found to Lyon which I had in my basket £375 incl luggage and taxes for 4 people ! Why of why did I procrastinate? To be fair after considering car hire (needed a large) and airport parking etc it was still going to work out marginally cheaper to tunnel+drive (ignoring wear and tear). It's over 700 for the same flights now now, so I'm back to tunnel+driving or getting a last minute package deal.

I was holding off as actually I really fancy Austria of Italy for a change.

I fancy Cervinia, but nothing accommodation wise is taking my fancy as being vfm, cheapest I've seen is a basic two bedded apartment or two rooms in a basic b&b, no facilities for 1400, vis a vis paying the same in France I can get a complex with a pool and sauna. Lots of places full/booked out.

I've discounted my usual Easter trip to Courchevel, which I've always found super reliable at Easter, as they have announced their final week lift opening schedule and they are shutting the whole NW area of the piste map above 1650 (Signal and Chanrossa sectors - although the Ariondaz gondola is scheduled to be be running) and a few odd lifts in the middle not running, Pralong, Coqs, Plantrey which aren't the end of the world, but also Dou du Lanche (so I assume the only conection to Meribel will over Salluire not Col de la loze) and I'd rather go to an area that'll be mostly open.

Easter late this year 13-20th. In recent years we've alternated between good easter snow and snow retreating up the mountain in blazing sunshine. I don't mind a spot of afternoon slush, and some long sunny lunches, but I do like to ski back to base, and have most of the ski area open. If we are blessed with powder morning like last Easter I'll be delighted.

I've found a good accommodation deal in Flachau but worried the height might be an issue so late and the extra 2 hours drive to reach Ski Amade to what I normally drive to Tarentaise or Maurienne is a mental block. But oh, the thought of wiener schnitzel or a plate of spatzl and a steak washed down with a weisenbier is luring.
Another pretty good deal in St Anton, closer to drive.

But should I really aim glacial. I missed a decent sunweb deal to Tignes in a nice 2 bed apartment with pool and spa - the two beds are sold out now and whilst they have 1 bed apartments available I don't want to spend my holiday converting a sofa to a bed as the kids go off to the cabine. Plus I still fancy Italy or Austria. But I don't want to be driving or relying on a bus each day to ski, the likes of the Kitzsteinhorn or Hintnertux are a no for me (though I've had great trips in the passt to both - pre kids).

I know what I should do is leave it 2.5 weeks and see where the snow is and what is opening where, and then either book a last minute package if on offer or bag an apartment and drive.
.... But the draw to book is killing me !!!

So here I am going round and round in perpetual circles, drawn back to piste maps, resort websites, acomodations agents, and tour operators, gazing into my virtual crystal ball trying to predict three weeks of weather and what areas of what resorts might be open and might have good snow. But oh how I long to book to have that known excitement of having booked and just having to tick off the days to departure.
snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead

Am I the only one ?

Who has committed to where for this Easter ?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We're going to Val Thorens - 2 bed apt, flights to Gva and drive. Wasn't to pricey really and hopefully weather is good and snow will be fine.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We will be off as usual to the GM. A bit later than we'd like 8th till 17th but hey school holidays and flights are never a good mix! We have been lucky at Easter most of the time, when it is not good it's because it is not great anywhere really. I LOVE the Easter drive down. It is my favourite one, nights drawing out, warmer, brighter sunnier. We often use it for side trips, if the snow goes off, we head back early and go touring. Flying for the first time in years this year as wanted to avoid any possible BREXIT issues at the Tunnel and as the Pet Passport was up in the air, so opted to book dog into kennels. Might all now be pushed off of course but there we go! If your first priority is snow quality then holding your nerve is probably right, but not sure I could take the not knowing.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 21-03-19 12:24; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm going to Zermatt ... as usual Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm not, so very jealous of your pontificating!

I normally take my youngest two at Easter, or my lad with his best mate and his Dad, but they are GCSE and A Levels this year, plus I'm getting married at the end of April so an Easter trip was just a no-no. I still did my mates trip to Val D in January, but am really itching because Easter is round the corner and we are not going. We usually go St Gervais, Grand Massif or 3V at that time but I really want to take the kids to Val D to experience it, so would be heading there or Tignes if we were going this year. Looking at a cheeky 14-21st Dec trip to replace it instead!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Gazzza, there will almost certainly be snow in Flachau down to the valley; snowmageddon pretty much guaranteed that. It will be slushy though, but if you don't mind that there's a lot to be said for an afternoon in the sun at the Auhofalm
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ah I feel your pain @dunc999 but best wishes for the wedding instead Happy

My wife did recently suggest we forego one of the ski trips next year in favour of an extension. It took me a while to repair the dent in the floor where my jaw had dropped Toofy Grin My view was she could forego the roof instead. Laughing

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 21-03-19 13:06; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We are off to Mayrhofen. Due to how we bought flights via BA flight pass for halfterm we have a second set to Salzburg to use
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Gazzza, cheers - let us know what you end up with!!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks @holidayloverxx. We had 3 knee deep+ fresh dumps last easter in Le Corbier, but by the end of each day it was melted/gone.

If there is snow will they likely keep the three major valley level lifts open @ Flachau - ie starjet, spacejet, achter jet ? I think the the accommodation I found was near achter jet.

Is there enough lift connected in that sector for a week ? Is skiing over to Alpendorf, having lunch then skiing back feasible ? (hard to 100% tell from the piste map but looks about 7 lifts each way).

I guess we could drive or bus up to Zauchensee for a day or two, but I generally like to avoid vehicle transport once in resort.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Val d'Isere 14th -20th April.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@NickyJ, aah the Hof - I want to take the kids there as well!! That's the trouble with the mates trips, we go to good places, I tell the kids all about them and then want to take them to see them too!!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Gonna head up here for a couple of days, to use up the free lift passes.
https://www.aletscharena.ch/en/
Hopefully give this a go too:
https://www.aletscharena.ch/life/shows-events/top-events/detail/?event=waterslide-contest&date_from=2019-01-14&topevent=1
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Gazzza, I feel your pain! we were supposed to be going on Saturday but son's Uni got a date wrong so we opted for the next week (we actually booked the flights too and were lucky enough to get a refund). He also had to be in uni the following week so we have to go w/c 7 april. I've never been skiing that late so if its not a good holiday, it will all be my fault lol. I held off as long as I could but also wanted a 2 bed apartment for the same reason of not wanting to convert the sofa every day so getting a 2 bed in the right location was a bit of a nightmare. Once I started watching the Easyjet flights and realised they were creeping up by the hour, I decided to bite the bullet and book. We are going to Meribel so hopefully will be high enough up with enough nice snow in Val Thorens. Good luck with it and if you find that crystal ball can you get one for me please Smile
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Gazzza, have you looked at Sunweb? That was where we booked through.
snow conditions
I’m the same! Meant to be going for a second sneaky trip on 6th or 7th of April but am holding off watching the snow reports. Also lots of piste map browsing!
We were in PUy st Vincent near Serre Chevalier 10-17tg March and the snow was ok then, slightly slushy in the afternoon. But it hasn’t snowed since then and it’s very warm in the daytime.
Also wondering about VT, Austria, cervinia or even Courmayeur
Is there going to be any snow?
Plan b is to take the kids to New York..
snow report
dunc999 wrote:
@NickyJ, aah the Hof - I want to take the kids there as well!! That's the trouble with the mates trips, we go to good places, I tell the kids all about them and then want to take them to see them too!!

It was the first place I ever skied as a 12yr old and where our whole family caught the bug. This is my first time back since.
snow conditions
Yes @NickyJ, I used them at Feb half term and it worked well. The Tignes place that I missed was with them.

As for the Hoff I've only been there in September. Skied on the Hintertux glacier in the morning, then sunbathing in the chalet garden with a beer back down in Hoff in the afternoon. I've never been back during winter season though alas so never skied in the main areas up the Ahorn or the Penken.

@polo99, we've been to Courchevel at Easter for 3 of the lasts 4 years. Even in the one that had really poor snow we could ski down to Meribel village, whilst Mottaret and above were great.
latest report
@Gazzza, reported snow depth at the moment is 140cm, I got a 6-9 day snow forecast alert come in yesterday, showing nice little top up with temperatures dropping again there. I am getting hopeful we should have some lovely conditions while there. You could fly to Munich, Salzburg or Innsbruck with reasonable transfers.
snow report
@NickyJ, the weather forecast I am looking at predicts wall to wall sunshine so here's hoping yours is correct. Looks like next week is going to be a lovely week so feeling a bit sick we aren't able to go.

@Gazzza, that is definitely reassuring. I'm really wanting to do that night time tobogganing from the combes lift.
snow report
Gazzza wrote:
Thanks @holidayloverxx. We had 3 knee deep+ fresh dumps last easter in Le Corbier, but by the end of each day it was melted/gone.

If there is snow will they likely keep the three major valley level lifts open @ Flachau - ie starjet, spacejet, achter jet ? I think the the accommodation I found was near achter jet.

Is there enough lift connected in that sector for a week ? Is skiing over to Alpendorf, having lunch then skiing back feasible ? (hard to 100% tell from the piste map but looks about 7 lifts each way).

I guess we could drive or bus up to Zauchensee for a day or two, but I generally like to avoid vehicle transport once in resort.

All the valley lifts will be open as you can down load on on them all, the starjet 1, space jet 1 and achterjet.

yes it is feasible to ski over to alpendorf as the connection is at the mid station on both sides of the valley, just make sure you are back at the flying mozart/g link in eough time to not miss the achterjet down to the valley if you want to download

you can get a bus to the highport lift..zauch...really easily from the achterjet sector of the village. you might prefer to avoid it, but it's fine. where is the accommodation?
snow report
Quote:

Easter late this year 13-20th.

UM! Easter Sunday is the 21st and the bank holiday (what I take as Easter week cos it is the Easter bank holiday) is the 22nd in 2019 in the UK
snow conditions
@johnE, Flachau is scheduled to close on 22nd April...Easter weekend
ski holidays
@johnE, Yes it's Good Friday on the 19th and Bank hol Mon on the 23rd. School are closed the two weeks preceeding, so I went for the second week leading up the Easter weekend so it's only 4 days leave.

If you are away the week after Easter check what is open and closed. This is handy :
https://www.bergfex.com/oesterreich/saisonende/
https://www.bergfex.com/frankreich/saisonende/

Obviously all dates are dependent on sufficient snow.
latest report
@Gazzza, Monday is 22nd
snow report
Toofy Grin Thanks. Sorry I was between getting the kids to bed, (and drinking a martini Very Happy) ...I know Thursday is the new Friday etc Puzzled
snow conditions
I would recommend looking at the Ski collection website...they are a good option for self drive incl Eurotunnel flexi plus and have lots of high quality self catering places with pools etc in the higher altitude resorts in France.

Others will be able to make suggestions about Austria and Italy ...the only thing I know is that the Italian Milky way resorts will have shut by then..but there are obviously plenty of other Italian resorts.
snow report
Another week on I'm still holding out with the on going torment Toofy Grin

So I'm down to either Cervinia, Tignes, Les Menuires or Flachau/Wargrain or outside shot of St Anton.

Found a nice place on that ski collection website in Les Menuires, thanks @snowymum for that, I'd never come across them before.

Plenty around on sunweb in various places.

Cervinia places of comparable price (say around 1-1.4k for a 2 bed apartment) are pretty basic and have no sauna/hot tub pool etc, so the family are less keen (though I still like the idea for the skiing and food).

Wife is not keen to drive to all the way to Flachau /Wargrain, so maybe a flight car hire option if we do that.

Snow wise, my crystal ball gazing continues. Cervinia and Tignes are safe bets and have bags of snow and of course the height. Snow cams are showing brown appearing between the pistes around Les Menuires and Meribel Centre, but Courchevel still looks good, and of course there's always VT, so Les Menuires still an option.

Wargrain and Flachau despite being much lower seem to have better cover than the lower end of the 3v, and frankly look pretty good at present, but 2.5 weeks of sunshine could change that I guess. Still my favoured option at the moment.

The procrastination continues. Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Gazzza, where have you found in Flachau? it is a long drive TBF, a good 12 hours from Calais; I always overnight en route
latest report
It's a chalet apartment about 150-200m from the achter jet base. It looks to be on a road called Griessenkarweg.

Actually found another nice place in Wargrain that is about 200-300m from the flying mozart, near the wataerpark and that gives you an access card to use the wargrain waterpark which kids would love. I guess Wargrain would be nice from the perspective we can head Alpendorf direction one day, Flachau the next, etc,and maybe once or twice during the week hop a bus or get in the car to either Bad hopfgastein, Zauch, or maybe Schladming for a change of scene.

If we drove from the Uk we'd go Fri pm, overnight somewhere between Reims and say Metz and carry on Saturday. Then Ski the last Saturday and over night somewhere between Munich and Stuttgart before heading home Sunday. That said I've been looking at fly drive options.

My big worry is booking then for there to be high temps for the next 2 weeks that shuts the bottom areas, which I accept is a risk in mid April. I don't mind slush, but I hate having to download or have large sectors shut off and be limited to shuttling the top lifts only.
ski holidays
@Gazzza, either sounds good
ski holidays
Take at look at the 7:33 post

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=138072&start=2800

There is certainly a chance of colder weather and freshen up of snow for the area of Austria
ski holidays
We were going to go out on 6th April (probably to 3V) but looking ever more unlikely.

If we go it will be tunnel/ferry + apartment - think I'll see if there is any hope in the forecast by Tue/Wed next week. With no snowfall since 15/03 and nothing in the next few days things are going to start getting pretty grim. But of course one dump could change everything.
ski holidays
Thanks @NickyJ. In all the news I've been using snowheads I've never noticed the weather page ! Something else to (over) analyse ! Very Happy
ski holidays
@Layne, Surely there is enough snow on piste in Val Thorens and Tignes to get through a few weeks without precipitation?
latest report
@Gazzza, there's been some fresh snow in Ski Amadé this week and more forecast next week. All pistes are open and in good condition. The valley runs can get a bit slushy in the afternoon on warmer days but it hasn't been warm this week. I don't recall many valley runs closing ahead of the main ski areas last season, and of course the snow depths are much higher this season.
snow report
@Layne, doesn't seem that "grim" to me in 3V!

http://youtube.com/v/xa8OzCcK_O8
snow conditions
@Layne, yes I'd agree with @snowymum. I'd have no hesitation heading back to 3v on 6th or 13th Apr. I've done Courchevel and skied the wider 3v at Easter 3 of the last 4 years and they've always kept the majority open, in fact Courchevel has been almost 100% open each year. Year before last it was superhot and they struggled with some of the lower slopes to Les Menuires, but VT was fine, Mottaret was fine, and it was even possible to ski to Courhchevel 1550.
The only reason I'm not going this year is the week I'm going (Sat 13th) is officially last week of the season in Courch so they have published a reduced lift map plus I fancy a change hence hankering over the Austrian resorts.

Thanks@queenie pretty please. I've been watching the webcams on snoweye, still looks good. 3C at the base and -3 at the mid station this afternoon, it looked good and super quiet !
ski holidays
@Gazzza, forgive me if this has already been said but if the 4 is 2 adults and 2 children. Ski Amadé pass the children are free after a certain date in March (can’t remember exact date but that is not important)
snow report
@Gazzza, if you fancy Italy, then La Thuile maybe worth a look? I've just got a deal with a 20 Euro per day lift pass accom at this place below, and they are doing the same deal over Easter it appears.. Never stayed there before but got the name from a search on here. Seems to have a consistently good snow record down to the village at 1500m.

https://www.hotelchaletalpina.com/
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy