Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Janvril 2019

Poster: A snowHead
Alarm!!!!

http://youtube.com/v/suY06PVK_bI

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 4-04-19 15:08; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My landlord, a grizzled Chamoniarde, is big on his Janvril lore and is more often than not proven correct. Let's hope so.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
les Bauges

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 3-04-19 13:35; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
INCOMING!!

snowHead Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
La Grave and some hardy brave souls getting practice in for the Derby

http://data.skaping.com/la-grave/3200/2019/04/03/large/15-22.jpg

Here in Serre Che +5 and pretty grim snowline probably 2000 but windy as it seems to have been all season when we have snow rolling eyes

Wait and see for tomorrow

A couple of us still have a LG lift ticket left over so hoping for a few more Janvril days after this week.

PS just had a look at the Serre Che mid station cams and looking promising Cool

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 3-04-19 13:59; edited 3 times in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
l'alpe d'huez

https://www.facebook.com/alpe.huez/videos/372737780241042/
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@davidof, you working tomorrow Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Snowing here most of the day but very wet snow in resort at 1650m. Real deal starts this evening down here but there must be plenty falling up the mountain already.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just had an email from AREA saying there was a snowmaggedon[TM] event at the moment on the roads, but checking google maps I can't see anything more than the usual rush hour jams. However if you are traveling between Lyon / Grenoble or Chambery or in the Savoie at altitude this evening check for blockages.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Weathercam wrote:
@davidof, you working tomorrow Laughing

er no but it is looking like there is too much snow for Thursday.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Puking down here now in resort snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Claude B, PLUS ONE having more than a few welcome the snow God drinks. In fact have jusr deneiged the terrace for a glass of decent red
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@davidof, it's going to have to snow a lot for that to be an issue. That said ski tour Vallons Fontenil is a sensible option in the trees but do need another 35cm to make that viable. Or skin up closed pistes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Weathercam wrote:
@davidof, it's going to have to snow a lot for that to be an issue.

Here we're looking at 50 to 60cm forecast with strong winds. Not looking great for Thursday.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Really difficult to make a call as in the valley at 1400m it has been puking down large feather snow flakes but temps are positive so consolidating really quickly.

That said did deneige the bar terrace in exchange for a glass of crozes-hermitage and van was not too bad though roads lethal with that slippery catch you off guard snow on the road.

Passed on driving up my hill and left van below.

WhatsApp texts going off about the morning, but as ever Wait and See is the best strategy.

For those stuck in the office tomorrow hope FOMO is not too bad Laughing

PS twice now have had to clear to the satellite dish of heavy wet snow

PPS now three times

Snow's a falling

https://www.stylealtitude.com/serrechevalierweathercam.html
snow report
Heavy snow at 300 meters this am. About 60cm overnight at 1300 meters. Lift shut due to avi risk.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 4-04-19 5:55; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Snowing in Basel here this morning! It only snows here a couple of times a year and I definitely wasn't expecting it in April.
snow report
@davidof, lifts scheduled to open here - a fair amount of blasting going on.

First lifts order of the day, reckon has to be a good 40+ up the hill and all importantly staying cold so not the usual Avril SerreMent hopefully Laughing

Also wind not too bad - now time to dig van out
snow report
12-20cm here in Tignes, less next door in Val, clearing the balcony thee was a nice layer of frozen slush below the fresh snow - might be a bit trick - looks like you fellas hit the jackpot - enjoy! snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
Local ski area pounded, no lifts running

ski holidays
Knee deep powder in Les Houches this morning!
latest report
up to a meter of fresh due in whistler over the next few day
snow report
50cm or so in resort, from photos I've seen about a meter higher. Still snowing lightly with very little visibility. Lifts slowly opening. Tomorrow will be nice.
snow conditions
@davidof, you been sticking pins in an effigy of me Laughing

We were about 16th on the chair and was still snowing heavily as we went up, we opted for the piste as that looked like it had 20cm on a bashed piste whilst to the sides was circa 50cm.

As soon as we started the descent knew it was on the heavy side, many a good snowboarder (UCPA instructors no clients) was having to straight line it, if you went into the deep on the side it was really heavy and you needed a steeper gradient.

It was a good descent and no complaints.

Next run opted for the old drag lift that they took out in the summer, this is really steep in places, but again was having to straight line at times and then just as I was getting some nice deep turns ended up bottoming out into a deep snow hole with half a ton of snow engulfing me that quickly set, so much so that OH had to dig my skis out for me which were still attached, would not have been much fun if I'd been on my own!

As ever what are mates for if only to take a photo Laughing

After that did a few more runs and a few were good, but it was turning to "Serrement" really fast, we could not go higher as all the top lifts were closed due to avy risk.

Also heard that La Grave was closed due to high winds along with probably more snow than us, so just as well we did not go to Monetier as that would have been mobbed with La Gravers who are there for the Derby which was obviously cancelled for today!

Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

Temps are fluctuating (was meant to be far colder -6) when we came down they were +6 they've now dropped to +3.5 and wind looks like it's picking up, here we go again rolling eyes
ski holidays
Laughing
snow report
Yes la Grave was closed.

I measured just under 60cm at 1500 meters altitude. 30cm at 900 meters.

snow report
With a clear sky temps dropped to minus 7 and I was not too sure as to what / where to go.

Ski touring N Face of Combeynot up at the Lautaret was one option, or take a chance with lifts that there would be cold snow at altitude on N Facing slopes and the overnight clear sky might have sucked some of the moisture out of yesterday's Serrement snowpack?

@KenX, was not firing on all cylinders this morning so I talked the OH into going up the hill but she still was not fully committed as she thought the snow would still be dire.

However as we left the lift I prodded the snow and was pleasantly surprised, we did one run off a drag on a N facing and it was really good, quite amazing the difference in 24hrs and now the clear sky had sucked the moisture out!

We then headed to a totally untracked S face and that was hard work to make the traverse and it had a fair crust on it, but still was not too bad if you skied the less exposed (to the sun) face.

And what was crazy there was no one around.

Then we went up the Vallons and did a couple of runs (after a mini hike) scoring sweet untracked.

Then as people started to see our tracks so more groups started the ridge hike, so it was out with the skins, as the snow was thigh deep and the snowboarders and skiers just could not be bothered, though I'm sure by the end of the day there will be a well-worn track.

First time around

Then again

And some GrPro

http://youtube.com/v/u5bqSqfHFrg
latest report
Yesterday

http://youtube.com/v/4xiz3QQ5QNk

it was better this morning, the cold night dried the snow out a bit, as @weathercam mentioned
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yawn

Is it just you two in here. Am busy sliding the soft fresh stuff before it turns to mush. GoPro mounted
snow conditions
polo wrote:
Yawn

Is it just you two in here. Am busy sliding the soft fresh stuff before it turns to mush. GoPro mounted
Puzzled
ski holidays
Got lucky with a trip planned weeks ago and took the powder boards out to Les Diablerets on Friday:

South faces early on:

And then a few laps of a steeper North face:

After a couple of excellent guided days for the Freeridedays.ch weekend, on Monday we got to make the most of the higher lifts opening at Glacier 3000 giving access to Sunday's snow for another bluebird day:

snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy