Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easter Drive Down 2019 - chit chat

Poster: A snowHead
I had an email from Eurotunnel this morning that there is new signage in operation at the Calais terminal.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Hells Bells, saying what?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It doesn't actually say !! Just to watch out for new signs.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Hells Bells, Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Hells Bells, I drove into the Calais terminal last night and get have built a giant roundabout from interlocking red and white plastic barriers in the checkin area to better divert all the cars to the overflow carpark when needed. I was on the 20:40 crossing ans had minimal delays other than French security swabbing cars for explosives which only took 5 mins. The French autoroutes were also flowing well with not too many lorries. Drove solo from Chatel to SW London in 10:50 hours door to door which a new PB. The slowest part of the journey was the 10 miles or so of hard-Brexit lorry parking contraflow on the M20 which I understand will take a few weeks to remove.

ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
So from that overhead, Flexiplus will file down the lefthand side and escape the queues whereas standard ticket holders endure the lottery roundabout, straight ahead or overflow. I use the tunnel about 6x per year, I never worry about the outbound trip, but I'm becoming increasingly anxious at traveling back from the alps after an 8 hour journey to be faced with tunnel carnage unless I pay for Flexiplus.

That said I had a good run back on Monday evening/Tuesday morning from Chatel to SW London, despite only one UK border kiosk being open and the 20 min processing time, I managed to get on an earlier train that according to the schedule never existed.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@rwilson, it looks as if Flexi will bypass it, but if you look closely I think the Flexi lane is closed off with the plastic things. It certainly was when we came through a couple of weeks ago. It made no difference as it was quiet, but think there would have been an issue with Flexi being stuck in the main queues if it was busy unless they were clearing to the overflow car park very quickly.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That layout was there when I drove back a couple of weekends ago.

Flexiplus ticket holders just went into the overflow carpark along with everyone else. I did see someone in a Mercedes-AMG GT try to argue that he should get priority but he went through the Flexiplus checkin at the same time I was going through the standard checkin.

They could improve the signage after all the checks, I missed getting in the lane for low vehicles.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Did flexiplus return last Saturday. Dedicated check in was open but you then had to filter into main queue for passport control. Once past passport control get directed straight onto train rather than into holding area. Enabled us to get onto the next train but didn’t help that much with queueing beforehand.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My observation from Feb Half Term, was that Flexi were directed into the holding pens before you get to check-in and were then held seperately.

Everyone else turned right and did a loop around, back out, then into the holding pens by different entrance. Then called through as and when customs queues cleared. Flexi given priority for this.

I cannot understand with all this redevelopment, why they aren't making everyone check in, then direct them to the holding pens in Train/Letter order Puzzled Then call the letters through to customs in order. Basically what happens in UK and what used to happen in France

Current system is a lottery as to whether you get your train, an earlier one or a later one.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Boris, they probably don't have the space on the other side of check-in to hold the cars at peak times - and I suspect they are also under more obligation to deliver their service once cars have checked in. We were diverted to the holding area at half term and it only added 15 mins - but it would probably have been worse if it was a free-for-all melee trying to queue for check-in along the auto-route.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Is that the same turning out towards where the pet reception centre is?

Thanks
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@sno trax, yes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Ozboy, thanks. Will be heading back with the pooch in about a week and so will need to head towards the overflow area, regardless.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Ozboy, surely they could divert the cars somehow to where they hold them now?
ski holidays
@Boris, before check-in? Think tats tricky as the approach road is a long elevated section.
latest report
@Ozboy, after check in, the holding pens are pretty much next to the check in now.

To me it would seem sensible and fairer that you check in, get your letter and then go to wait and get let through in order.

That's what they used to do in France, with customs after terminal building, like UK. But they changed it to encourage more people to use terminal building, which has never worked as customs slows it down so everyone just heads to trains.

They don't need any more space, just need to use it better
latest report
@Boris, the issue is probably security and the perimeter fencing. Holding cars before check-in means they could be held in an unsecured compound.

Agree though, getting people checked in and managing flow from there makes more sense.
snow report
There used to be some horrendous tailbacks, several km along the motorway, so perhaps that is what they are trying to stop
snow conditions
@sno trax, @DJL, yes this is driven by avoiding the issues of motorway tailbacks and (potential) migrant issues - the holding pens are now secure (or being made secure).
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy