Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski for free 2020 all season.

Poster: A snowHead
What I don't get is why, if this is such a fantastic opportunity, and everybody has always been so thrilled to have done it, he has to keep advertising here, putting up with all our bitchy comments and rising to the bait every time. You'd think word would get around and there'd be queues of good applicants.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pam - his first post in the thread indicates that his current 'Snowheads' are moving on after 3 years -- they must have found something to enjoy in the job!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

they must have found something

The keys to the padlocks??? Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w wrote:
What I don't get is why, if this is such a fantastic opportunity, and everybody has always been so thrilled to have done it, he has to keep advertising here, putting up with all our bitchy comments and rising to the bait every time. You'd think word would get around and there'd be queues of good applicants.

Muffled from under the patio
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
albob wrote:
Pam - his first post in the thread indicates that his current 'Snowheads' are moving on after 3 years -- they must have found something to enjoy in the job!

Maybe but it does seem odd that nixmap advertised for victims / non-employees to "Ski 2018 in Switzerland for free". Given that the current snowheads were moving on after 3 seasons, shouldn't they have already been there 2016/2017 and pestering poor nixmap to return for 2017/2018 before he finally slaughtered them in the cellar at the end of this season?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I was staying out of this, but this last post did raise an odd conundrum. Here're a few questions fer all of you thinking about this . . .

1:
albob wrote:
yet he was advertising for this last season just gone.
2: If one can afford one, let alone two Swiss properties . . . Why would you want/need cheap housekeeping/cooking/child wrangling?
3: Philanthropy is wonderful . . . though it is truly a rarity as Unicorn Shoite for it to be dumped on one or two individuals.
4: Just how much do you know about Swiss employment, visitor visa laws with their concomitant penalties . . . do you know?

Fer all we know @nixmap, is most likely a very pleasant chap, good company and all that . . . BUT he is very clear in his declared position as NOT an employer . . . and as such, has absolutely no responsibility towards you in ANY WAY should you fall foul to the Swiss legal system, civil or criminal . . . Malice a forethought?

Look, it could be a great opportunity to enjoy a working season in Switzerland but you have to balance that against the risk of being caught working illegally for an employer who will categorically crap on you if it goes titsup.

Simple scenario; You're out doing the weekly shop fer a Nixmap party; You're driving Nixmap's vehicle; you knock over a Swiss Granny (thankfully not killing her) and off she goes to hospital . . . Where do the liabilities lay? Who's insurance are you on? Do you even have insurance for this simple situation or even legal to drive in Switzerland in a car not registered to you? How much do you know about Swiss driving laws?

IF it was JUST cook, clean and ski then not much of an issue and I'd say go for it. But Nixmap wants a full functionality factotum team . . . and that's taking the p¡ss Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Masque, in CH the car is insured not the driver.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Masque - FFS you of ALL people know not to feed the troll - (or in this case the advertiser)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@BobinCH, so . . . If you want to knock over Granny fer the inheritance, you nick someone else's car to do it with . . . ta Toofy Grin
@boredsurfin, loooooong day, had a brainfart rolling eyes
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
boredsurfin wrote:
Masque - FFS you of ALL people know not to feed the troll - (or in this case the advertiser)

The troll being me or Masque?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:

You would think, but bitches will be bitches.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Masque wrote:

IF it was JUST cook, clean and ski then not much of an issue and I'd say go for it. But Nixmap wants a full functionality factotum team . . . and that's taking the p¡ss Evil or Very Mad

Help cook, help clean , help out with parties, help out moving gear, people, groceries.. then do you own thing for 4-5 days.

that's about it.

Oh and ski with us if you want,
Or if you have the courage - ski with our no longer kids at 118 kph.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@nixmap, slow season fer me this year, kept it down to 67mph. Think I went a bit quicker on the board but I forgot to turn on snowtrax. Turns out I'm utter pants on steep crud but steep smooth is another story. I've a head/mind block thingy I've got to get past off the piste.
Anyway, you're quite clear in that you want, cook, maid, undermaid, butler, footman, chauffeur/handyman . . . All rolled into one or two people . . . Yup, @micturatemap, rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Masque wrote:
@nixmap,
Anyway, you're quite clear in that you want, cook, maid, undermaid, butler, footman, chauffeur/handyman . . . All rolled into one or two people . . . Yup, @micturatemap, rolling eyes

Those are rather old fashioned terms you use to evoque an image of lifelong servitude.
Lets turn it around. If you went to stay as a guest in somene else place for a season, which of those chores would u feel exempt from and leave only to your host.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
When we used to stay as a family (with 2 young kids, a long time ago) at a friend's chalet in Verbier he let us use it for free...with the proviso that my wife cooked on the weekend that he was there too and that we left the place clean. He was a total neat-freak and it was always spotless.
It was an ultra deluxe place, and he stopped lending it when he realised he could rent it out for £70,000 per week (!). It has 14 bedrooms and various ex USSR state presidents and their entourages tend to be the clients these days.

We cleaned and polished it until it gleamed. All laundry done. I am rather good at DIY and fixing things and one year I managed to fix the big washing machine which was leaking a bit in the laundry room.

"You are the only people who have ever left it cleaner than it started, you can come whenever you like"
So we did, several times...until the £££ changed everything.

I really do think that what @nixmap is offering is fair enough, he is very clear about what it is (and isn't).
If you like it...do it.
If you don't like it...don't do it.

Given the choice between @nixmap with no pay and a.n.other Tour Operator as a chalet host (a lot of work, very basic crowded accomodation for staff, and minimal pay) I know which I would chose.
snow conditions
nixmap wrote:
Masque wrote:
@nixmap,

Those are rather old fashioned terms you use to evoque an image of lifelong servitude.
Lets turn it around. If you went to stay as a guest in somene else place for a season, which of those chores would u feel exempt from and leave only to your host.

Yes they are and I'm rather an 'old fashioned' chap and know that it's quite 'inapproprié' in Swiss, French and English culture and quite 'insultant' to require a guest to do anything beyond enjoy your hospitality. You see, that's where you become an ostréipyge rolling eyes These modern days a bit of guilt shaming or personal responsibility could certainly inspire a "guest" to clear up after themselves . . . But not be obliged or required to wipe your collective asses. Again, you dissemble Evil or Very Mad

You conflate the balance of a few days servitude against the chance of a few days skiing, OK for a week or two, but not for a contracted (informal or not) season . . . Possibly an equitable equation for some . . . However, you insulate yourself from any repercussions should it go wrong and that makes you just an 'enculeur de mouches!' *

(*been boning up on my colloquial kermit, good to get an opportunity to enjoy it)

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 7-05-19 14:06; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@boredsurfin, catching up . . . @nixturate, is not a troll, quite the reverse . . . But he is a Janus. He offers us two paths of luck, one bad one good and leaves it to serendipity as to which one falls under our feet. For the most part that is his decision to tempt us with limited information but great enticement and then once ensnared, throw us into the arms of Tyche.

I'm just spectral channeling Aletheia. Skullie
ski holidays
Masque wrote:
nixmap wrote:
Masque wrote:
@nixmap,

Yes they are and I'm rather an 'old fashioned' chap and know that it's quite 'inapproprié' in Swiss, French and English culture and quite 'insultant' to require a guest to do anything beyond enjoy your hospitality. You see, that's where you become an ostréipyge rolling eyes These modern days a bit of guilt shaming or personal responsibility could certainly inspire a "guest" to clear up after themselves . . . But not be obliged or required to wipe your collective asses. Again, you dissemble Evil or Very Mad

You conflate the balance of a few days servitude against the chance of a few days skiing, OK for a week or two, but not for a contracted (informal or not) season . . . Possibly an equitable equation for some . . . However, you insulate yourself from any repercussions should it go wrong and that makes you just an 'enculeur de mouches!' *

(*been boning up on my colloquial kermit, good to get an opportunity to enjoy it)

Despite your evasive language, keen readers will be aware of yet another delflection.

You didnt answer the question.

If you went to stay as a guest in somene else place for a season, which of those chores would u feel exempt from and leave only to your host.
snow report
Quote:

If you went to stay as a guest in somene else place for a season, which of those chores would u feel exempt from and leave only to your host.

Preparing the entire weekend's meal. I will help but not take over.

I have, actually stayed for 2 months as guest at a friend's house in snow country. Cleaning, obviously. Cooking from time to time, yes. Even buying food, some of the time. Clearing the snow off the driveway, only to a point.

There's no children present. Though I'm rather good at that had it been the case.

Like rungsp, I'm pretty handy around the house. So I left the house at better shape than before. But I'm not sure my cleaning and cooking is exactly up to the host's standard. Only that it was acceptable that I was invited to stay the next year, and the next year, and the next year...

Mind you, none of those chores were "expected". So if there's a dump of snow, we all went skiing and came home to a "dirty" house! Shocked
ski holidays
Cleaning toilets and the chunder from the floor after a heavy night - you can keep that one. Oh and not to mention changing the bed sheets after a lively evening wink Laughing
ski holidays
@nixmap, you say help with the cooking, help with the cleaning, help with ferrying folks about, help with the shopping.

"Help" is a word you've used to describe what the successful seasonal guest/new friend will be on with.
Would i be correct in presumming you'll be mucking in with all the chores and other tasks as well as your selected seasonal guest/new friend, as they'll only be "helping" you?
snow conditions
Sounds to more like an au pair situation. I had a few au pairs when the children were school age. They cooked, cleaned and looked after the children for 5 hours a day, 5 days a week plus a bit of babysitiing. In return they received accomodation, food and pocket money (back then it was about £50 per week) and were treated like part of the family. It was a mutually beneficial relationship in which they could learn English and experience a different culture. Tax is not an issue and the scheme has international recognition. I think this is a great opportunity for a young couple to spend a season in the Alps, but it is missing the pocket money so whoever takes him up on it is going to need some funds to start with.
snow report
Mother hucker wrote:
@nixmap, you say help with the cooking, help with the cleaning, help with ferrying folks about, help with the shopping.

"Help" is a word you've used to describe what the successful seasonal guest/new friend will be on with.
Would i be correct in presumming you'll be mucking in with all the chores and other tasks as well as your selected seasonal guest/new friend, as they'll only be "helping" you?

You would from time to time but less than we do when we are without our volunteers .. Very Happy
snow conditions
[quote="abc"]
Quote:

Mind you, none of those chores were "expected". So if there's a dump of snow, we all went skiing and came home to a "dirty" house! Shocked

Same .
Although snowfalls are rarely a surprise any more given all the forecasting, and if you are there for the whole season, chasing powder on the weekend amongst the crowds is less urgent than you might think.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sat 11-05-19 9:19; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
halfhand wrote:
Cleaning toilets and the chunder from the floor after a heavy night - you can keep that one. Oh and not to mention changing the bed sheets after a lively evening wink Laughing

Quality parties you attend then
Honestly we dont really live like that but thanks for the vivid images and window into your life.

Dont think i would volunteer for a place at yours.

Good luck owning your first home.
ski holidays
Quote:
if you are there for the whole season, chasing powder on the weekend amongst the crowds is less urgent than you might think.

Wrong! It doesn’t matter how long, it doesn’t even matter how many years, fresh snow IS fresh snow! If the whole point is to ski the season (or 2, or 3), not able to skiing when condition is prime is a classic sign of a JOB, not a “volunteer”.

“Weekend crowds”? That’s a telling sign of WHERE the position is. Not all the resorts have big difference between weekends and midweek. Many destination resorts have a more “weekly” pattern with Saturday being the quietest as it’s the changeover day.

Anyway, I had watch this with amusement from year one. It’s clear this is a bartering that’s going on. (So masque’s warning about employment/immigration law has some merit, if you’re the stickler/cautious kind). The “work condition” had improved significantly since that year. Now, the housekeeper(s) has a season pass and a car, which was NOT offered in year 1. And as nixmap puts it, the children had grown so there’s no more child minding.

All in all, this is a far more reasonable “job” than it first became available. To be fair, it now resembles what many of us lucky enough with job that we enjoy doing the work, and amazed that we actually get compensated for. But that’s true of MANY jobs. We collect “free money” by turning up everyday. Very Happy

(I had another amusing thought of where the idea of “free” first came from Toofy Grin In year 1, it was FREE from nixmap’s point of view! He provided nothing so no money outlay if the “volunteer” doesn’t work out! But clearly, the net result of demands/negotiation by all the previous “volunteer” has now morphed into a far more agreeable position, albeit not free — from BOTH parties perspectives)
latest report
@nixmap, Can you post any links to reviews from the people who have previously availed of the fantastic opportunity you offer? You sell it well but you sell it every year...that makes me suspicious that what you promise and what really happens is vastly different. Otherwise you wouldn't be making a similar offer every year or the people who are moving on would be posing rave reviews.
snow report
Quote:

Wrong! It doesn’t matter how long, it doesn’t even matter how many years, fresh snow IS fresh snow! If the whole point is to ski the season (or 2, or 3), not able to skiing when condition is prime is a classic sign of a JOB, not a “volunteer”.

Agree with both points.

Thornyhill you clearly have no intention of doing it (like many of the other critics) so why ask for reviews or get involved? This type of volunteer placement is nearly always going to be a 1 season thing with most doing it as some sort of gap year/sabbatical/career break, so hardly surprising there is turnover.

These type of volunteer positions working in exchange for accomodation and perhaps other benefits (in this case ski pass) are hardly rare (although you may think it reading this thread). In fact there are entire websites (workaday, helpx etc.) for them. Of course they are not going to work for everyone, but for the right person it can be a win-win arrangement.

I have had one very enjoyable volunteering position (so good I went back for a second summer). It's more of a working relationship with flexibility needed on both sides - if you want contracts and scheduled hours it's probably not for you.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@boarder2020, I just find it surprising that after advertising the position on here for years that I can't find a single post saying - 'I took up the nixmap - It was great/It was OK/It was terrible' Surely if the position was 'as advertised' the nixmap would be encouraging people to give an honest review.
snow report
I honestly cannot understand the stick that Nixmap gets. He makes what seems like a reasonable offer of free accomodation with some strings attached and folks jump on the "let's destroy Nixmap" bandwagon.

From his post I think his bunch come across as an OK crowd that don't see there helpers as slaves, but as respected assistants.

It is something that happens once a year, even less recently, so why would he want publicity and reviews?

It's not like he is asking folks to promise servitude for a full season. One could always go home. The hunting pack mentality seems in full force every time he posts. Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
@Frosty the Snowman, +1
snow conditions
abc wrote:
... Wrong! It doesn’t matter how long, it doesn’t even matter how many years, fresh snow IS fresh snow! If the whole point is to ski the season (or 2, or 3), not able to skiing when condition is prime is a classic sign of a JOB, not a “volunteer”....
Don't be silly.
I never bother fighting with the tourists for lines.... because I can ride when and where I want.
If you're so desperate to share powder with the crowds, then this role could be precisely what you need to move to the next level of understanding.

If you want to ride for free all season and not take any time away from the snow at all then clearly you
need to look elsewhere - that's not a problem with this role, it's your problem.

And not all "fresh snow" is remotely equal except in a snowdome, perhaps.
ski holidays
@Frosty the Snowman, what you don't realise is that Nixmap has bots posting negative comments in order to keep this at the top of the list!
snow conditions
Clearly, masque is a bot of nixmap Smile
snow conditions
Quote:

Don't be silly.
I never bother fighting with the tourists for lines.... because I can ride when and where I want.
If you're so desperate to share powder with the crowds, then this role could be precisely what you need to move to the next level of understanding.

A 30cm day is a 30cm day - I'll be out regardless of crowds. If you know the mountain you should know where to go to avoid the crowds anyway. Yes some days are not as good as others, but a bad day skiing still beats most other things.

I suspect your the guy that sits on chairlifts pooping on everyone's fun as you tell them how much better the conditions were the week before.
snow conditions
+1

Smile Smile Smile
latest report
Thornyhill wrote:
@nixmap, Can you post any links to reviews from the people who have previously availed of the fantastic opportunity you offer? You sell it well but you sell it every year...that makes me suspicious that what you promise and what really happens is vastly different. Otherwise you wouldn't be making a similar offer every year or the people who are moving on would be posing rave reviews.

I would expect quite the reverse to be true, if indeed the seasom didnt turn out as planned I am sure the unhappy couple would be the first to publish a scathing review. What better way to even the score?. If you think about it, you might agree that the lack of feedback means that some level of mutual benefit is the more more likely case.

The most likely case is that some poor snowhead posting a review here, could be expected to be mauled by the pack, and would almost certainly never shake off the plague of inevtible poor mannerd mannered questions for years to come.

There is no non dislcosure clause or gagging order that goes with the deal, and very probably the only reason for the complete feedback blackout is down to you and yourselves.
snow conditions
Interesting - so snowheads collectively are such terrible people that your meek and mild guestfriendslaves wouldn't dare speak of their experiences. Interesting theory.

You'd rather think a person with such a low opinion of a community might refrain from advertising there. Unless they enjoy the trolling.
ski holidays
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Interesting - so snowheads collectively are such terrible people that your meek and mild guestfriendslaves wouldn't dare speak of their experiences. Interesting theory.

You'd rather think a person with such a low opinion of a community might refrain from advertising there. Unless they enjoy the trolling.

Well as the op I get what i expect, doesnt mean that the volunteers would.

"guestfriendslaves"? more bile Smile
latest report
our "guestfriendslaves" just arrived, two very happy snowheads
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy