Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Elan Element - Worth it or too fake?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys.

I'm a beginner skier but I am catching up very quickly, went to my first red slope a few weeks ago, it was nice, I'm still trying to get my paralel turns right Very Happy

I decided to buy a set of skis and got interested in this one:
https://www.intersporttwinsport.nl/elan-element-green-ls-p-elx11-601-90400-010_98825.html

Apparently this Elan Element is a line for beginners that forgives a lot of mistakes... Seems very nice as I am a beginner, but I don't want to learn carving and short turns in it, then buy a more advanced ski next year and discover that I never really knew how to carve, it was the ski that was cheating to make me do that.

Do you guys think this ski is worth it? It corrects your balance and help you put the pressure in the center of the ski.
I want to stay im the budget of less than 300 euros, any other skis you think is better in this price range?

Here is a video about it:

http://youtube.com/v/W-eRUrPsuEo

Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well, Elan are an excellent company and considerably overlooked by many people. They are relatively rare on the hill and I personally have not skied the Element. There is some benefit in the consistent and smooth flex which the Element claims, and some highly respected manufacturers are playing with much lighter, smoothly flexing skis for young ones and beginners, notable AK - a very interesting company and one to watch. A couple of things. What is your weight? Lighter beginners indeeed benefit from a consistently-flexing and lighter-built ski. But frankly, the key thing in skiing is...........technique. There are few skis which are completely terrible, and many which are averagely good. The thing which really makes a difference is high quality tuition. Sometimes in can be one brilliant lesson followed by loads of practice which brings a leap in technique, or it can be good to have protracted review and feedback. But whichever you find best, it will be focussed tuition which will really make the difference, in my view....
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
valais2 wrote:
A couple of things. What is your weight?

Hi Valais!
My weight is 95kg, I am 1.78m, I though about getting the 1.68m ski, would it be enough for my weight ?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
How many weeks have you been skiing/how quickly are you advancing?

If you've only just done a red after 20 weeks on skis and drive to the mountains/snow dome then probably worth looking at buying some beginner skis as cheaper than hiring and they should be a good match for a while yet.

If you've done your first red after just 1 or 2 weeks on skis I'd probably hold off buying at the moment, especially a beginner ski. Chances are you'll keep progressing and be looking for a more intermediate/advanced ski before too long. Yes you can resell your beginner skis but could lose more value than the cost for renting for a few more weeks.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mjit wrote:
How many weeks have you been skiing/how quickly are you advancing?

Hi Mjit!
I've been skiing for around 4 weeks... I guess I'm learning fast but I don't have much time to practice, specially now that the winter is gone. I managed a red slope but my technique is still pretty bad.
What happens if I use this ski as a advanced guy ? Let's say in 1 year I'm perfect in my carving and short turns and I decide to go to black slopes, what would be the disadvantage of this ski compared to an advanced one ?
Take a look at this videos, they are carving in high speed in both of them(specially in the second) and it seems to handle pretty good.

http://youtube.com/v/tetRhvsqZFg

http://youtube.com/v/Ad8fvhxc42k
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My advice is don't fall for the marketing BS. They'll make things easier for you becasue basically they are soft flexing and tip and tail rocker will help with the skis not hooking up too fast when you progress to higher edge angles and releasing easily from the turn. But that same soft flex will mean that at 95kg you are soon overpowering them and then will need to trade up.

If you already have 4 weeks at your weight almost any ski from any manufacturer in their low to mid range piste ski range will be perfectly fine for you. The higher in the range you go the trade off will be less "easy" to start with but will last you longer.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@AndreSilva, you seem to ski a bit at weekends so I can understand wanting to have your own skis. Less faffing about at hire shops, not having to worry about what they give you, liking the consistency and getting used to the behaviour of the same set of skis, etc. Not to mention that owning our own gear and having something better than 'average' is also important.

As @Dave of the Marmottes says, don't get too caught up in the marketing BS. All the manufacturers beginners skis are designed to be light, nice and forgiving, easy to use and responsive to the use of the edges.

If you like the Elan Elements, then 269 eu is a good price for some new skis and I'm sure you'll get on with them. Don't consider them cheating or worry about them being hard to progress on. Having an easy to use ski will encourage you to progress and explore all the subtleties of edging, balance and movement that are essential to becoming a good skier (as will plenty of lessons).

Depending on how quickly you progress you might well consider changing your skis in a year or two (rather than 3-5 years or so) but in that case I'd suggest you consider yourself very lucky as 1. you will definitely be making very good and better than average progress and becoming a good skier and 2. You will then have the opportunity to start looking at some really very good skis to help you develop even more.

It's all good.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@olderscot : Yes, in fact that is my plan, to change my skis in something around 2 years.

So... I decides to go for this Elan Element, just bought it a few hours ago and gonna get it tomorrow, Saturday morning I will be in Solden and will put it to the test.
Thanks guys, you were very helpful as always! snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Welcome to the slippery slope of ski ownership.

You'll now need a bag.

And the bag will have space for at least 2 sets of skis.

So you'll now need a second pair of skis.

But sometimes you'll be skiing early/late season when there will be rocks about, so you'll need a pair of second hand/cheap "I don't care if these hit a rock" skis.

But they won't fit in your ski bag, so you'll need a bigger bag.

Your bigger bag will hold more than 3 pairs of skis so... Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hello guys!

So, I got my Elan Element and tested it in Solden, Austria this weekend.
I got say that I am very happy with it, feels better than any rental I ever got. I am still a beginner and it is helping me a lot on getting my parallel turns right... although it is still a loooong way until they get perfect, my legs are still way too far from each other.
I had my first day ever of skiing in January in a trip during 3 days in Austria, then 1 day in SnowWorld(indoor ski in Netherlands), 1 day in Winterberg and 2 days in Solden this last weekend.... so my whole experience consists of 7 days skiing, still make a lot of basic mistakes, like crossing my skis all the time Mad
Here is a short clip of a run there:

http://youtube.com/v/l42mL-dYErs

Thank you all for the tips!

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 4-04-19 16:23; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
For a beginner -- that is excellent ..! keep it up Smile
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
AndreSilva wrote:
I am still a beginner and it is helping me a lot on getting my parallel turns right... although it is still a loooong way until they get perfect, my legs are still way too far from each other.

I'm not sure I'd agree with that - your feet are more or less shoulder width apart, which is what you're taught to do these days on modern carving skis. Still a little on the backs of the skis and maybe not always fully committing to the downhill ski maybe, but I've seen a lot of week 4 beginners who don't ski as well as you are in that video.

If you're comparing yourself to people who ski with their feet about an inch apart you're looking at people who were taught to ski back in the 80's and beyond, when skis were straight and that was the correct technique (for that type of ski).
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Seem to be doing well for such a short time on skis. One thing, try not to drag your pole, others will be on to tell you the technical reasons why, but I can share what can happen. Have a friend, who is a PT in the UK, so super super fit, experienced bad conditions and slipped into dragging a pole. Ended up with shocking elbow trouble (similar to tennis elbow as I recall) for 6 months after the return to the UK. So try and use the pole correctly for the turn not as a rudder.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@AndreSilva, same as what the others say. Well done from r only 4 weeks. You'll soon be zipping past us keyboard warriors soon. Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Oh PS

Welcome to snowheads
ski holidays
Cheesie168 wrote:
One thing, try not to drag your pole, others will be on to tell you the technical reasons why...

Main reason I was taught to get your poles forwards is as an aid to getting your body forward so weight over the front of the skis. In most situation, not just on skis if you move your hands up and infront of you so you can see them in your periferal vision you'll naturally move your upper body forward. "You should always be able to see your hands." was I think the advice/order I was given.

The pole plant is similar. Rather than being anything magical to plant your pole and turn around it you need to reach forward to plant it, and the reach forward gets your weight forward.
ski holidays
albob wrote:
For a beginner -- that is excellent ..! keep it up Smile

Thanks man, it means a lot to me!!!

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 4-04-19 16:23; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Mjit wrote:
AndreSilva wrote:
I am still a beginner and it is helping me a lot on getting my parallel turns right... although it is still a loooong way until they get perfect, my legs are still way too far from each other.

I'm not sure I'd agree with that - your feet are more or less shoulder width apart, which is what you're taught to do these days on modern carving skis. Still a little on the backs of the skis and maybe not always fully committing to the downhill ski maybe, but I've seen a lot of week 4 beginners who don't ski as well as you are in that video.

If you're comparing yourself to people who ski with their feet about an inch apart you're looking at people who were taught to ski back in the 80's and beyond, when skis were straight and that was the correct technique (for that type of ski).

Hmmm... that's new for me, I though the correct way was to have them very close together. My goal is to be able to do something like this:

http://youtube.com/v/s_06zKPX9eQ

Yeah, it's gonna take a while Laughing
snow report
Cheesie168 wrote:
Seem to be doing well for such a short time on skis. One thing, try not to drag your pole, others will be on to tell you the technical reasons why, but I can share what can happen. Have a friend, who is a PT in the UK, so super super fit, experienced bad conditions and slipped into dragging a pole. Ended up with shocking elbow trouble (similar to tennis elbow as I recall) for 6 months after the return to the UK. So try and use the pole correctly for the turn not as a rudder.

Mjit wrote:
Cheesie168 wrote:
One thing, try not to drag your pole, others will be on to tell you the technical reasons why...

Main reason I was taught to get your poles forwards is as an aid to getting your body forward so weight over the front of the skis. In most situation, not just on skis if you move your hands up and infront of you so you can see them in your periferal vision you'll naturally move your upper body forward. "You should always be able to see your hands." was I think the advice/order I was given.

The pole plant is similar. Rather than being anything magical to plant your pole and turn around it you need to reach forward to plant it, and the reach forward gets your weight forward.

Thanks for the tips guys, indeed, I still get a bit lost with my poles, sometimes I have no idea how to hold them.
I'll try that for the next time, holding them in front of me, like I am holding a tray or something wink

Question:
I had a nasty crash this weekend and the pole straps were around my writs, I fell with my face directly on snow and flipped, as the poles were attached to my wrist my body rolled and my arm didn't, I hurt my shoulder. Nothing serious, but it was aching the next day, since that I decided to not wear the pole straps so if I fall they will fall far from me but at least I don't hurt myself.
Is this a good approach ?
snow conditions
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
@AndreSilva, same as what the others say. Well done from r only 4 weeks. You'll soon be zipping past us keyboard warriors soon. Happy

GlasgowCyclops wrote:
Oh PS Welcome to snowheads

Thank man, I am really excited and hope to be be carving and going fast soon! snowHead
ski holidays
@AndreSilva, I only ever use pole straps for touring these days. I got into the habit of not using them for off piste (avi risk) and continued doing so on piste, never had a problem. Straps are handy for hanging poles from skis on racks though. Casting my memory back I don't think I let go of them in any falls.
latest report
@AndreSilva, welcome to snowheads.
Re. Pole straps ,I guess there is plenty of discussion to be found if you use the search function. I was taught how to hold the strap so as not to hook the thumb when releasing the poles in a fall, and not to have the straps around the wrist when in trees.
Elan make good skis. You may wish to upgrade to a stiffer ski later.
ski holidays
@AndreSilva, There are risks and benefits to using pole straps. If you decide to use the strap, please be sure to loop them correctly to minimize your risk of “skier’s thumb.” This short YouTube video explains how.

http://youtube.com/v/K2TlCmwSwTc

Congratulations on your new ski purchase! When I returned to skiing after a long pause, I had a very similar pair of Elans… they were great fun and helped me progress very quickly.
snow report
@AndreSilva, Just realized I replied to a query you posted over 3-years ago and you are now navigating steep couloirs in Chamonix. Congratulations on you progress. Impressive!
latest report
Ken in LA wrote:
@AndreSilva, Just realized I replied to a query you posted over 3-years ago and you are now navigating steep couloirs in Chamonix. Congratulations on you progress. Impressive!

It is more about SURVIVING steep couloirs Laughing
snow report
How did the Elements work out for you - still using or did you flip them?
latest report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
How did the Elements work out for you - still using or did you flip them?

It was great for the first year and very good for a beginner, but they are quite soft and I'm a heavy guy, I sold them and got the Amphibio 18ti2(https://elanskis.com/eu/amphibio-18-ti2-fusion-x-abhgfq20) and I love that one, much more stiff and stable in high speeds.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy