Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

DIY Ski versus the Package Holiday

Poster: A snowHead
Wear The Fox Hat, Not ideal for a long weekend though wink
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
it can be if you are already there!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

I wouldn't be that upset about being snowed in a resort

You say that now. However, being snowed in may well mean being advised not to leave the hotel (or whatever) because of avalanche risk. It will also mean that food delivery trucks can't get to resort. It certainly doesn't mean bright sunshine and perfect skiing conditions!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dave Burt, re changover days, I've found that this depends on the Hotel. The Mercure chain are quite reasonable in terms of costs and facilities (have stayed at several across Europe) and even in France, home of the sat-sat full week or nothing booking approach, they allow any day to any day. (We did Monday to Sunday at Christmas in Val D. I was talking to a French hotelier during our last visit and he thought the traditional 'full week' booking restrictions would soon become a thing of the past as French hotels woke up to the benefits (in terms of filling rooms) of being flexible especially with regard to self-booking over the internet.

Agree with nuttyprofessor, re extending, and have done this a couple of times, it's particularly easy if you are self-drive (only change is to the tunnel crossing and they are very flexible - no charges for last minute changes. Of course if you have the kids with you, and term is about to re-start it can be more difficult Shocked
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Have just returned to-day from my own DIY ski-ing holiday in Nendaz, Switzerland, where incidentally the conditions over the last week have been absolutely fabulous, to see the responses to my post.

I am just making the point that if you ski DIY be aware and street-wise to the pitfalls, particularly missing flights home where inclement weather can cause difficulties and substantial extra cost getting to and returning from the destination airports.

As with every holiday undertaking if you are inexperienced in DIY holidays and want some one else to take the strain then the travel agent and tour operator are there to help and provide the complete service. Generally speaking I would argue that this works otherwise we wouldn't have such a buoyant, value for money, fiercely competitive travel business in the UK, would we?

I don't agree with the premise that if you pay cheap you will get a rubbish product. From my perspective each package holiday which is put up for sale has a dynamic economy of its own when it comes to its price over the life time of the booking period. Nowadays the cost of a holiday can work like perishable goods on a market stall ie when the holiday dep. date = the sell by date- once passed then it is valueless. During the time that the holiday is up for sale the only thing that will vary is the price according to its demand - everything else should remain the same.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sounds like tourist industry gobbledy gook to me.....isn't this what holiday insurance is for David? From the postings I have seen on here both DIY and holiday company hols have their pluses and minuses, from personal experiece of both I prefer my independance and if one has a bit of grey matter most problems can be ironed out without the need of a rep...most of whom I must say have been very polite and enthusiastic but have no more idea of how to sort out a problem than me!

PS. thanks to snowheads once again re: address of Koln police....our missed flights home and cost incurred now being sorted by the insurance company. Little Angel
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would agree with David Snell that there are pros and cons to both DIY and package holidays.

I think a newish phenomenon is the idea that DIY holidays are somehow more 'worthy' than packages and confer some type of moral superiority over the mass market traveller.

Transfer day is the only real pain with packages. You do not need to have much to do with the rep apart from that.

As has been pointed out , last minute packages are like perishable goods and bargains may be there for the taking if you can be flexible.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The pressure on coarch drivers on getting end-of holiday skiers to catch a flight must be considerable.

In the recent heavy snow in Bravaria the Autobahn was jammed solid from from Austria side all the way to Munich. I was driving my brother family to catch a Munich flight the next day so we were not too concerned but still decided to go through the counrty roads instead of being stuck in the Autobahn. Needless to say the amount of snow on country roads made driving very hazardous even we had a full blown 4x4 with good all-season tyres and carrying snow chains.

We were overtaken by coarches desparately returning to the Munich airport. Many of them eventually got stucked in snow on slopes. Many lorries were doing the same. We drove carefully to arrive obviously late in the evening to a hotel close to the airport. The only thing affecting us was dinner at 11pm and it was nearly impossible to find a restaurant still open on that evening, after we had checked in.

Nowaday the traffic condition at transfer day does warrant an as-early-as-possible departure.

We always do DIY holidays ourselves and use own car, with forward journey in a day but 2 days for return. As a rule we would cover 75% of the journey if possible in the first return day, leaving a leisurely 25% journey on the day when we must catch the ferry.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Does anyone expect anything more than flight + transfer + accomodation from a budget TO?

Then the TO v DIY argument comes down to separately costing the 3 elements. I've used both options several times in the last few years, and have never booked a holiday without attempting as close to an apples for apples comparison as I can.

My experience has been:
1. In Europe, I tend to go for Austria. I've found flying to Munich, hiring a car, and booking hotels through local tourist offices to work out 20%ish cheaper than budget TO prices. Add the benefit of picking ideal flight times with BA or Lufthansa. DIY has been the winner.
2. Canada, TO wins. The TO prices (for Neilson and Crystal), including transfers and scheduled Air Canada flights were cheaper across a range of accomodation than contacting the hotels directly for ACCOMODATION ONLY prices.
3. Summer Holidays. Perhaps less relevant but for my last 3 summer holidays I've found the package price with flights and transfers to be cheaper than the accomodation only price from contacting the hotel directly.

For me the other pluses and minuses are pretty minor.

I've been lucky enough never to have had a bad experience with a budget TO, though perhaps that's down to only requiring transfer services. I've never even had a TO transfer that's been any worse than faffing around with car hire or public transport. Although I get a bit coach sick sometimes - but that's another story.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Best policy is have a friend with a house somewhere nice - I recommend Kitzbuehel myself - and do the Ryanair Stansted/Salzburg thing with your friends picking you up @ Salzburg.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JohnHill wrote:
. Frankly, no amount of money would persuade me to hang around on a tour ops bus "waiting for the Manchester flight" or putting up with some rip-off avian-flu-infested chalet slum and a hapless apologising spotty tour rep. I've done the maths, experimented with my own money, made the value judgement year after year and always go for a scheduled flight and book direct with the hotel of my choice. It's better and often way less dosh. Hell, I love being snowed in.

Well- some of this is true- but DIYing with small children is hard and expensive-1st trip we did was DIY -easyjet&car geneva-argentire- staying at the Grands Montetes (which is very good indeed- but with no restaurant), granny for childcare for 4 month old son- granny trips in car park and ends up in plaster- but we all have a great time.

I think that one of the main problems with TOs/package deals is that if you don't like the 'rip-off avian-flu-infested chalet slum' you're stuck- if you DIY you can leave and go elsewhere-

There is alot to be said for the smaller operators/owner run chalets - but again with small children childcare does mean that TO's are much easier.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
edsilva, a very good point. I intend to discuss this one at length at the EoSB - all those going, be warned! There must be a cheaper way for a family of five to get to the slopes and all have a throughly good time without blowing the year's savings...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
TallTone,

savings????????? Your not getting out enough..
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Question:

Are we saying that DIY trips save a lot of cash during the weeks that the TO's have their prices jacked up? I usually go on those cheaper weeks in early January, and whilst I prefer that smug independent feel you get when you wisk through the airport to a BA jet and mosey past the hordes of coaches to a hire car at Innsbruck, I find it very hard to get the DIY price down to a TO's price.

I seem to have become stuck in the early Jan routine BECAUSE the TO price is lowest then. Would I be able put a DIY package together in early March with the price of an early Jan TO deal? Is it the case that TO's put the prices up during peak weeks, but airlines and hotels do not?

I have done DIY and TO stuff and generally (95%) all goes smoothly. I see TO trips as the same as DIY trips but just using the TO's transport facility.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
beeryletcher, I think you might if you book everything early enough.
ski holidays
beeryletcher, a lot depends on where you want to go, and how many of you there are.
ski holidays
beeryletcher, I've done a lot of DIY holidays in early March, the latest being last week in Ellmau, Austria, and we have found that we usually are paying just over the TO price, eg, we paid overall £540 for transport, and half board accommodation whereas the Inghams price to our hotel was £509. But ... we didn't have to fly on a charter and the transfer from Munich was ridiculously easy and the times were very convenient (ie no early starts!)
snow conditions
I think we have taken the DIY Vs Package debate too many times round the block. Each to their own.
snow report
When I coined the phrase “Avian flu infested chalet slum”, I was obviously being a tad dramatic and avian flu was topical that particular day (I am proud it’s being used though). I was referring to some of the liberties taken by some of the big-name TOs. They are working to a business model which dictates that you, the “Billy Bunters” are bottom of their considerations. Firstly, they are looking to fill aircraft seats (be it their own planes or bought-in seats on other charters – big tour operations are all about keeping aircraft flying), secondly they need to fill their inventory of beds that they have to pay for empty or not (ie chalets), thirdly, they are seeking to cover as much of the rep’s costs as they can by selling passes, excursions, fondue nights etc etc and, at the same time, carve the cost of ingredients, free wine etc. Above all of that however is the fact that they have shareholders to please and significant head office costs to cover. There is huge pressure to secure the cheapest chalets, dress ‘em up, and squeeze in as many folk as possible. There is also the issue of the 15-20% they now have to pay to certain travel agents. All down the line, the pressure is on to tell customers anything they want to hear to make them buy. They know that the weather has the major say in whether or not you have a great time – perfect conditions will soon erase the lumpy bed, lumpy grub and the “five minute stroll” from your memory. They make very good money out of those who book a long way in advance, mega money out of those who need to travel at New Year, HT and Easter, and lose tons of dosh on the last-minuters. But that’s all factored in.

A couple of years back I met a family staying in a chalet in Austria over New Year. They’d paid nearly £800 each and were less than happy about the whole thing… food especially. We, meanwhile, were staying in a four star hotel half board (with swimming pool, sauna etc), flew scheduled, had a hire car and all for under £550 each. There is no contest and making your own arrangements is all part of the fun.

Go independently and that hotelier will love you more than if you went via a TO – they get to keep their entire margin and see you as someone to really look after as you’ll probably want to return. You’ll get birthday cards and Christmas cards. You’ll get special offers for low season and you’ll generally feel well looked after.

Smaller, more service-orientated ops without the mega overhead and fleet of planes are where to go if you absolutely have to go for a chalet.

Frosty the Snowman,
Quote:

I think we have taken the DIY Vs Package debate too many times round the block. Each to their own.
Sometimes you have to save people from themselves though.
snow conditions
Quote:

Smaller, more service-orientated ops without the mega overhead and fleet of planes are where to go if you absolutely have to go for a chalet.
JohnHill, No these are also expensive rubbish. This is especally true for any company with large Chalets in La Rosiere next Easter. Value and service will be very poor but hopefully if folks take notice of this post then we shall be able to book 30-40 "punters" without any problem. wink
latest report
JohnHill wrote:
We, meanwhile, were staying in a four star hotel half board (with swimming pool, sauna etc), flew scheduled, had a hire car and all for under £550 each. There is no contest and making your own arrangements is all part of the fun.

That's fine if there's a group of you to split the cost of the hire car. Last time I hired a car, it cost me £200. As I was travelling on my own...that's a fair chunk of the budget gone without flights/accomodation etc.
snow report
Elizabeth B, depends where you're going but, if I have to travel alone, I take the train.
snow conditions
Going on that none of my friends, even the few with licenses, are prepared to drive in snow and on the right, so we have to go with a TO. Just as a matter of interest, what do people recommend out of the big (budget) TOs? Thinking of Neilson. Do they have less horror stories than the rest?
latest report
luckysmartie wrote:
Going on that none of my friends, even the few with licenses, are prepared to drive in snow and on the right, so we have to go with a TO. Just as a matter of interest, what do people recommend out of the big (budget) TOs? Thinking of Neilson. Do they have less horror stories than the rest?

1) It is not true that you need to drive for a DIY holiday. There are many places accessible by train.

2) You could probably try most of the TOs and not have a horror story unless you were unlucky.
snow report
Let's be fair here - the so-called horror stories are a minority and you have every chance of having a perfectly good holiday with any tour op. As the HR monkeys never tire of telling us in training, a happy customer tells two people about his experience, and an unhappy one tells 10. Or some such figure.

Mind you, I wouldn't recommend Airtours.
snow conditions
JohnHill, I do when I'm skiing in Switzerland. Their public transport is wonderful snowHead
snow report
I think with TO vs DIY, it's really "horses for courses". When I first started skiing, I always went with TO's, as I hadn't a clue what to do.

Now that I know what I want, I go DIY.

I've never had a bad experience with TO's, but in 15 TO hols I've only ever managed to ski on the arrival day once, and that was only for 1 hour.

Whereas with DIY, I am usually on the slopes at lunchtime or very soon thereafter.
ski holidays
As per latchigo - we did DIY this year twice, once to Rob@rar's apartment in Les Arcs and once to Whistler. For Les Arcs, we got a local taxi firm to do the transfers from the aiport and back at a cost similar to hiring a car plus petrol, in whistler the folks who run the B&B we used did the airport transfers for us, but there's also regular scheduled buses
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy