Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Redrilling skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Apologies if in wrong area and also for my ignorance regarding this question! Wondered how bad/not that bad it is to redrill skis to change bindings? Looking at getting some second hand skis or possibly new but end of season skis and possibly using a non touring binding with one eye on changing to a hybrid (shift if can afford them!) once I’ve tried out some touring and decided if it’s for me. Thanks in advance!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
As a general rule, you can normally redrill once with no problems. you may have to move the new bindings forward or back a cm or 2 to leave enough gap between the holes, but most skiers wouldn't notice the difference. Redrilling a 2nd time is less likely to be viable, as you're more likely to have to move the bindings further forward or back, but if each set of bindings have a completely different hole pattern, then this can still work
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Remounting is usually fine but you don't want to be putting more than three sets of holes in a ski. Powerguide has templates that you can overlay in order to figure out whether there is a hole conflict.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've got some skis with four mounts in (not recommended) but I don't use plastic plugs. I use hardwood dowels and bond them in with Marine Epoxy (West System G-Flex).

I use the templates from Binding Freedom and have them printed on overhead projector acetate sheets so I can see through them and overlay them on the ski surface. I don't bother with jigs or drill guides as I prefer to drill freehand but I can understand it would put people off. However I have my own system.

Measure, mark (with pen), measure again, mark with auto centre punch, place binding to check, drill pilot hole with 2mm bit with fixed collar, drill with 3.6 bit, drill with 4.1 bit (if needed).

For metal skis I will tap them, for wooden skis I will tap with a screw to help guide it in.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks guys!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The limitation on numbers of remounts really just comes down to how much clearance you have between old and new holes. 20mm centre to centre is often mentioned as being ideal, but I think you can get away with closer depending on the construction of the ski, how the holes have been plugged and how big and burly you are.

Depending on your tolerance for shifting the binding forward or back and the different types of binding then only getting 2 mounts is a bit pessamistic - you'd be unlucky / picky not to get 3.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy