Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cheap ways to ski with toddler.

Poster: A snowHead
Our last family ski trip (with son 11) was 2 years ago when I was a few weeks pregnant.
We really want to go next year when she’ll be 2. Today I started to look at Espirit and realised to do something like this I’d need to remortgage my house!
I’d love to find a way that me and my husband can get some time to ski together rather than having to take it in turns looking after her.
What does everyone else do? Have to do school holidays (with perhaps couple days out if needed) due to older one.
Any ideas that won’t leave us bankrupt?
Thanks!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@missch, do you have a useful Granny?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@missch, have you looked at Esprit for 13th April - it looked like they had some reductions for that week.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pamski wrote:
@missch, do you have a useful Granny?

Unfortunately not, or that would have been perfect!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
NickyJ wrote:
@missch, have you looked at Esprit for 13th April - it looked like they had some reductions for that week.

For next year?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@missch, have a look around in resorts you like to see if there is a nursery and/or nanny service. We did this a few times and went self-catering.

Vallandry has a purpose built nursery in village which we were happy with.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
missch wrote:
NickyJ wrote:

For next year?

No for this season. That is the week that I have seen them do reasonable looking reductionsfkr his season and in the past. Also Christmas week as well, seen some very tempting deals for that week but hubby has been very resistant about going away that week.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
look at family oriented resorts like the ones in Maurinne valley like Val Cenis, Valloire & Les Sybelles.
ESF takes kids as young as 2 + there are other childcare/creches available.

Valloire for example :- https://www.esf-valloire.com/little-ones/little-snowboarder
160 euro for 6 days x 3 hours
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We are going to Val thorens next week, and have our 2 year old booked into the ESF crèche. Age 18m-3yrs non skiing just childcare.

I asked and they have a 1:8 ratio and all staff are qualified childcare. I’m not using ESF for ski school for my older ones for all the usual reasons but for the crèche it seemed a good option.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
In Les Carroz we have the Souris Verte day nursery. Details of tariff for this year here:
https://winter.lescarroz.com/images/pdf/Rules_of_procedure.pdf
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
El Tarter has / had a crèche beside the ski school, either for lessons or just crèche. We used it one year, seemed reasonable (daughter was a bit confused they were speaking Spanish to her!).

Here's a price list, to give you an idea
https://www.grandvalira.com/en/nursery

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sun 24-03-19 16:52; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We used grannies at that age and sometimes privately organised baby sitters.
I have not used them but Vaujanay has always had a very good reputation for it's nursery information here. https://www.vaujanyskichalets.com/en/770915/nursery1
Noting that that is a link to a travel company rather than the nursery itself. I believe booking well in advance is essential.

Think this is the club
https://www.vaujany.com/en/family-resort/nursery-childrens-club/

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sun 24-03-19 16:24; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If no grandma, go with friends with similar age child and share childcare.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
and share catering as well. We did some very successful holidays with several families/friends - not just skiing, but gite in Brittany, canal boat, etc etc. If you just do one or two evening meals (everything, from planning to clearing up) and have others do the same for you, you can save a huge sum and still have a good sociable time. Much better than having to do the whole slog every evening and having to eat (and drink) everything out, with kids, is ruinous.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kinder Hotels in Austria might be worth a look.
ski holidays
What about your father? Do you have a grandpa that could help? My dad is coming with us to provide a bit of extra childcare.
ski holidays
Quote:

Kinder Hotels in Austria might be worth a look

But not likely to be a cheap option - the OP is looking for cheap ways to ski with a toddler.
@Stinkpickle, yes, I didn't mean to make sexist assumptions about childcare. Grandpas can do it too.....
snow conditions
...and if taking grandparent or someone else, make it clear from the start their role will be childcare! We took gran, and she wanted to walk around and see the town, not be left with the baby! That week was a real failure!
snow conditions
Ask the McCanns to babysit?
snow report
I recommend calling Chaletline.
We got a really cheap deal with Esprit through them which was cheaper than booking direct.
I always use them if I’m booking a package, tell them what I want and the budget and they find something Very Happy
snow report
sj1608 wrote:
In Les Carroz we have the Souris Verte day nursery. Details of tariff for this year here:
https://winter.lescarroz.com/images/pdf/Rules_of_procedure.pdf
+ 1 from us. Used them when the girls were about that age. Very professional, as it is the village nursery for resort staff as well.

This is vital -
Orange200 wrote:
...and if taking grandparent or someone else, make it clear from the start their role will be childcare! We took gran, and she wanted to walk around and see the town, not be left with the baby! That week was a real failure!
. Took my Mum when mine were quite small and she got very ansty VERY quickly.
snow conditions
May work out cheaper to book flights, apartment and childcare separately. We used L’Outa Morzine when kids were too young for snow garden and it was always excellent and very good value.
latest report
My experience with grandparent care wasn’t great either. My mother in law wheeled baby around in his pram all day, meaning he slept all day, and not at night! I was up at 4 every day and shattered.
We had a private nanny a few times, one of which we had for just 3/4 days so we could both ski all day for part of the holiday. We did this with self-drive and booking accommodation through the local tourist office, lift pass included which worked out quite cheaply.
We have also used Esprit with late booking, in La Rosiere where lift passes were quite a bit cheaper than other resorts.
snow conditions
We had our daughter staying for a few weeks in Les Gets during both of her maternity leaves, good planning on her part! So we used to box and cox the childcare. It generally worked out. Best was when our son, DIL and little boy stayed at the sane time as daughter, SIL and slightly older girls and they hired a private nanny for 4.5 days. The grand daughter who was at ski school by then would either join us all for the afternoon or get picked up by one of us and delivered back to the chalet for lunch and play. Quite expensive but then they were not paying for accommodation.
snow conditions
Two simple tips for cheap ski with toddler from someone who has done it recently

Option 1:
Borovets, book in advance, stay very close to the slopes Rila hotel or nearby. its walking distance to the slopes, good hotel can organise childcare or use the child ski club in the Rila hotel. Worst case, if you only do two runs on the slopes and need to get back to your child, the ski pass/gear rental are cheap so you wont have lost much

Option 2
fly to Toulouse (i flew for £50 per person in Feb this year), rent a car and drive down the Saint-Lary-Soulan, you have ti drive up the mountains (make sure you have snow tyres) to the base 9or take the gondola from the village). not as cheap or as convenient as Borovets but way cheaper than the big French resorts

i much favour Borovet for sheer ease, 1hr from the airport, right on the slopes, cheap rental and ski pass, decent child ski club in the Rila hotel, lots of food places witin 5min walk of the centre. cheap beer. downside is you can ski the whole thing in a day, by day 3, you may be bored of the same runs
ski holidays
@missch, could you possibly leave it another two years, by which time the younger child can learn to ski? If you can't afford it, you can't afford it. When son#2 was born we didn't ski for 4 years. I found it frustrating but there it is. But then we never went away without our boys and never used creches on holiday. If you must go then maybe try to do what @pam w suggests i.e. going with friends with similar age children and sharing out childcare.
ski holidays
You ask for babysitter, this will help you more.
snow report
I think Snowbizz are one of the most reasonably priced tour operators with childcare provided and their childcare was excellent when we went with them. Then our children were 3 and 5.

Since then we've been with Peak Retreats or their subsidiary Ski Collection to self catering apartments and in the early days used the ESF childcare in resort. If you go to a resort frequented by the Brits chances are there will be a few other English speaking children in the nursery. Self drive usually works out cheapest for a family of four..although it is also our preferred option irrespective of price as it gives a lot more flexibility. I would suggest looking at Sainte Foy, La rosiere, Montgenevre and Val Cenis for the Easter holidays.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
i was just coming on to suggest snowbizz!
really brilliant for toddlers, has on creche. great for older kids too but can be pricier in the school holidays (though not as bad as catered options!)
since our kids grew up and we had to go in school holidays (at secondary school this is) then we have also used peak retreats to go to aussois (absolutely fantastic for beginners, esp kids and cheap as chips). val cenis was lovely with them also. we drove to bring costs down.
we like sauze d'oulx but it's not brilliant for beginners so if it were me i would drive to aussois and book toddler into creche or baby skischool.
snow conditions
Whitegold wrote:
Ask the McCanns to babysit?

Youve posted a comment on a public forum making a joke regarding a child that has been missing for over 10 years. Was you born an @rse hole and just got bigger or has it recently happened.
ski holidays
Agree with the above - joke in very poor taste.

Hate to say it but a ratio of 1:8 for 18 months old - is that right? It sounds awful. From memory in UK the ratio is 1:3 under 2 and 1:4 for under 3. Can you imagine looking after 8 toddlers, particularly if not English speaking!

Sorry not very helpful as we kept skiing while our youngest were very small and ended up paying through the nose. But worth thinking about. Hope you get to keep skiing.
ski holidays
cheapest skiing inclusive of child care we've had was esprit ski on their BAT week. It was really cheap we travelled either the 1st or 2nd week in Jan.
ski holidays
@Skimum1, is right about ratios and no matter how many children you would need probably at least two if not three staff as changing a nappy/toileting would mean a member of staff was out of the room.

If you can treat it as a holiday with your child(ren) where you may get some skiing then you could have a great time and start the ball rolling on them enjoying snow and perhaps skiing. If you want to ski together then unless you can throw money at it then there will be have to be compromises.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy