Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

DIN Settings

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

Just out of interest, what difference does it make if you are over 50 when they work out your DIN settings?

Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
After determining your din setting based upon your height, weight, boot sole length & skier classification you then move one row up the chart if you are over 50. The reason is that anyone over 50 is riddled with osteoporosis and the slightest impact will shatter every bone in their body Shocked wink

The actual difference it makes in the din setting depends upon where you are on the chart - it could be as much as 2 din difference or just 0.25 din.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@spyderjon,

Thanks for that. Obviously I'm not over 50 wink but if I were, I'd be cancelling my holiday straight away!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@spyderjon,

Thanks for that. Obviously I'm not over 50 wink but if I were, I'd be cancelling my holiday straight away!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I do not intend making any changes to mine this season. Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I haven't wound mine down yet either. I need them on tight to keep up with the kids snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I found out the hard way that they lower you din when u turn 50 last year. Snapped out of skis 4 times during first run of heli skiing, before the guide (who needed to help me several times) figured it out. Moved em back to 9 and all was good. I guess I generate a bit of torque.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
spyderjon wrote:
After determining your din setting based upon your height, weight, boot sole length & skier classification you then move one row up the chart if you are over 50. The reason is that anyone over 50 is riddled with osteoporosis and the slightest impact will shatter every bone in their body Shocked wink.

well that's what you told me wink ..or at least we wound the din down and now they can't go any lower!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I turned 50 in February and didn't turn the DIN down and when I went skiing in March guess what....

Nothing happened.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
That said I would say at some point as you age you are going to lose some strength and need to gradually reduce. Common sense says so. I think it's difficult to reflect that in a DIN chart though.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think I've increased my DIN setting slightly since turning 50.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
They should really have tell us when they reduce it (maybe it was just the place that I went to). it was significant, I think lowered from 9 to 7, based on the same weight but moving from 49 to 50.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Redwine wrote:
They should really have tell us when they reduce it (maybe it was just the place that I went to). it was significant, I think lowered from 9 to 7, based on the same weight but moving from 49 to 50.

Unless you're very tall & heavy with a high skier type plus with a large boot length the usual age related reduction is only 1 din & often only 0.5 din.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What I find slightly bizarre here is it's about skiing, a preposterous and risky activity!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@spyderjon, ahh. maybe i crank it up normally and the reset to the lower din had an exaggerated affect. Knowledge is power, and now I know.
ski holidays
My Age Scale doesn't go beyond 49, so it doesn't matter. rolling eyes
ski holidays
bug, I haven't altered mine. will kittens die?
snow report
I am turning mine down slightly at 49 but not due to age, more that I seem to be getting a little better in technique so am avoiding the harsh impacts and transitions that led to a lot of my pre-releases. This has led to my SL skis having a bit of a difference though as the DIN on them is 1.5 higher than my other skis due to a lack of lower settings.
snow report
I find a lot can happen in powder and off piste. Not really sure what's under the surface often. That's when my skis release and it can be at the worst time.
latest report
@Redwine, That's where I have problems too, especially with forest skiing with lots of hidden troughs and bumps. I actually very rarely fall on piste these days and mostly keep my skis clear of the snow when I do so have preferred to crank the settings up a touch as I consider myself to be more at risk of injury from my ski popping off when landing a drop than from it catching in a slow fall. Even my SLs have popped off fine in heavy snow off the side of the piste when a tip dug in and they are at my highet setting and are a heavy mostly metal construction (replacement for a binding which suffered a snapped heel section - now that led to a few high speed pre-releases LOL).
snow report
Here's a question. Has anyone got any info on whether switching from a stiff flex aggressive boot to a softer one more suited to off piste will affect the required DIN setting slightly? As in with a stiff boot any major shift in body mass transmits the force more efficiently/quickly to the binding, whereas a softer, more upright boot may lessen this slightly as the leg can move more.

I am setting my DIN 0.5 less this season on the fat skis so will see if I go back to any pre-releases.
ski holidays
As I approach 50 my calculated din setting is reducing from 7.5 to 6.25. However on my last hire skis in January at 6.5 I got three or four pre releases...
I am fit 72kg 175cm 307mm boot. Good piste ski and basic off piste. What are the relative merits of the lower setting? I know that this isn't a black or white decision but I'm interested in peoples thoughts.
ski holidays
Since I started paying attention, I realized the charts put me at 6.5. I ask them to set it to 8 and that feels perfect. I really think a premature release at high speeds is possibly a worse scenario. I really don't fall on piste, and go fairly fast if things feel aligned right with my balance and strength.

Having said that, it was deep pow that caused the pre releases, which are much slower speeds for me, so I don't see as much risk of them being tighter vs having to use too much energy to find the ski and then put them back on.
snow conditions
@pieman666, i have made no changes to my bindings as I pass 50. It's dangly bits.

@Redwine, assuming no mechanical issues, e.g. Snow under boots, pre-releases, probably a technique issue Twisted Evil
snow conditions
@under a new name, could very well be technique. I'm not as fluid in powder as I wish I was, and it takes time for the balance to return. I definitely mash a bit and am pretty aggressive. Just can't risk them popping off in some of the stuff I like to ski. Having said that, I'm stronger now than when I was 49, ski the same stuff, so don't see why i should ski a 6.5 din now.
ski holidays
@Redwine, nah, me neither. I'm stronger and fitter by many measures than when I was younger.
snow report
Thanks everyone, I'll probably nudge back up to the 7.5 I have used before. My pre-releases were all related to hitting deeper snow on piste in poor visibility. I must admit the second of skiing along one one leg thinking hmmm this isn't going end well was not the most fun I have had on skis, but as the snow was deep and soft it wasn't a problem but at the wrong moment it could of caused me some real issues.
snow report
As someone who currently has a broken shoulder due to pre release, I say keep them nudged up Mad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I was 49, with DIN settings on 8, skiing off the back of Grands Montets, when I ended up on the floor with my shoulders pointing one way, and my leg, with ski still attached, pointing the other way. It wasn't pretty.

I've been skiing on 7 ever since.
snow report
Quote:

I was 49, with DIN settings on 8, skiing off the back of Grands Montets, when I ended up on the floor with my shoulders pointing one way, and my leg, with ski still attached, pointing the other way. It wasn't pretty.

Ouch!! no for sure. Mine were only on 4.5 which for the conditions and level I been skiing I don't think is high enough, but will get them reset professionally when I am allowed back on skis again!
snow conditions
Guess what? DIN charts really don't know very much about YOU. They are statistically derived to be a good starting point but they are not an ultimate truth because they don't know your body or how you ski.
So ON AVERAGE someone over 50 has lower bone density and loses a bit of muscle mass hence lower DIN but that doesn't mean YOU will suddenly change at the age of 50. That is not the same as saying it's rubbish though.

Not that I'm an expert. For example I only recently realised there was a 3+ skier type which seems to just add a big chunk to your DIN setting. I still err on the side of caution.
snow report
@pieman666, At your weight and height, I'm surprised that you were getting pre-releases with a DIN of 6.5. It seems much more likely that this was due to the forward setting being set too loose on your hire ski, rather than too low a DIN.
ski holidays
I've read this old post with interest. I had a similar situation a couple of seasons ago when I had the ski release whilst in a pocket of powder at the side of the piste (ok, I had just done a major face plant). I struggled mightily to get myself out as the skis kept releasing when there was any snow on them. The next day, warming up on Creux on the Courchevel side of the 3V (a good red start-up run for those who know it) and had two pre-releases, one of which had the offending ski strike a boarder downhill. No damage to either of us, thankfully, though I felt like a tw*t. On checking the DIN, it was set to 5.5. As I'm 83kg, 180cm and fairly experienced, I confronted the hire outfit (a generally excellent 'visit your chalet' crowd in Meribel) and was told that it was a requirement as I was over 50. I was 56 at the time. I set the DIN back to my usual '8' and the staff member noted on my form that it was 'self set'.

As some S/heads here have suggested, just because you are over the half-century it doesn't mean you are over the hill. As a life-long cyclist, I can say that I may be fitter than some younger skiers.

Is this something that came in relatively recently, like the last two - three years? If one 'self sets', is there any possible impact on insurance? Surely having a ski arbitrarily release on the piste is downright dangerous?

Anyway, off to Serre Chev. Saturday week - woo hoo!
ski holidays
I'm 50 now and just had to up my DIN from 9.5 to 10 on the fat skis as I kept popping the binding on hard compression hits in heavy snow and on some jump landings.

Start low, then work your way up till they stop pre releasing.
snow conditions
@Scarpa, I really don't understand this. I have my bindings set at 6.5 and never have any unwarranted releases. I ski fast in all types of terrain*. Why do others need to have their bindings set so high?

*but don't have any air time!
ski holidays
@Steilhang, hight/weight/sole lenght sure varies between skiers?
ski holidays
@mooney058, maybe. At 1.87m / 84Kg I'm fairly sure a setting of 10 would break me!
snow conditions
I think that how aggressively you ski has an effect, not just fast. I guess it’s possible to ski quickly but still be smooth in a way that doesn’t put sudden force into the binding.

I can ski on piste on a 6 with no issues, but as soon as I go off piste I need to push up to something nearer 8.
snow report
found this yesterday: http://blistergearreview.com/featured/din-settings-age-related-questions
latest report
Yup, and different stiffness skis also seem to react to flexing in various ways. I'm a bit crap at skiing smoothly but trying to get better. It's playing round with little drops and jumps that was causing me most pre releases, and also having the ski compress into heavy hollows.
On my all mountain skis (98mm) I have the DIN set 1 lower with no problems. On piste on SL skis I often engage edges pretty aggressively and most definitely do not want a pre release, I've had some nasty crashes through that happening in the past. So far all my skis seem to pop off with no problem if I take a proper fall, and I'm 5'9" and 76kg so nowhere near a heavyweight.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy