Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flying on 13th April

Poster: A snowHead
We are (hopefully!) flying out on the 13th April, as I am sure are many other snowHeads.

I don’t want this to be a Brexit debate thread but should the worst happen and there be no deal on the 12th and there be a slight delay in sorting out the reciprocal agreements needed for flying between airspace etc and my flight be cancelled with British Airways.... where do I stand?

Would it be like any other cancelled flight and the airline has a requirement to reschedule us? I would just like to understand what situation we could find ourself in and if there is anything I can do to prepare or protect myself?

Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@NickyJ, No-one has a clue. There is nothing anyone can do to "protect" against it.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
holidayloverxx wrote:
@NickyJ, No-one has a clue. There is nothing anyone can do to "protect" against it.

Thanks for answering that one Happy. Could explain why I was struggling to find an answer with my searches. when I booked the flights I thought no problem should worst happen they have two weeks to sort the admin out and get flights flying again. Now I am thinking Shocked
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@NickyJ, there will indeed be lots of us - I'm also due to fly out that morning!

Like you, I delayed booking some flights till then thinking that things would be more certain by then - how little I knew!

I guess all will become clear over the next few days but maybe not till the last minute?

See you at T5 then!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
NickyJ wrote:
Would it be like any other cancelled flight and the airline has a requirement to reschedule us?
As others have said, at this stage probably no-one has a clear idea, but in strict terms my guess is that a change in the regulatory structure which made it impossible for an airline to operate would very probably fall outside its responsibility to provide compensation. Also, is it correct that airline compensation schemes are based on EU regulations, so any non-EU airline might not be compelled to offer compensation in any case?

Having said that, I believe the EU has already put in place temporary regulations to ensure UK airlines can continue to fly to the EU in the event of a no deal exit. My understanding is that this has some restrictions compared to how those airlines currently operate, and it's for 6 months (?) before the temporary agreement expires. So I think you shod be OK no matter what happens, assuming a simple UK-EU flight rather than a more complicated multi-leg journey with flights within the EU by a UK airline. I'll see if I can track down a link to this temporary agreement.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Some further info on the temporary flight agreement.

https://www.aviationcv.com/aviation-blog/2019/brexit-crisis-aviation-industry
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@rob@rar, thanks!

@Ray Zorro, we will be at Gatwick Happy

Ours is straight forward BA flight to Salzburg.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar wrote:
Some further info on the temporary flight agreement.

https://www.aviationcv.com/aviation-blog/2019/brexit-crisis-aviation-industry

Hmm this article says

Quote:

Though the agreement is still provisional.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
NickyJ wrote:
Quote:

Though the agreement is still provisional.
Article dated 22 Feb, I believe it has now been agreed. Still wading through EU website to find the actual agreement (UK government website worse than useless rolling eyes )
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@rob@rar, thanks so much. I had done some searching before posting here but guess wasn’t quite using right terms etc! Really appreciate it and I am feeling happier.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@NickyJ, cheers for posting this. We're flying back on 13th April so was thinking about this too. Although less worried about flights as I assume they have a duty to get us back - more thinking about the hire car I'm driving on the 13th.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Handy Turnip, hubby went in to the post office today to get the form for the IDP.... they couldn’t find it! That was my feeling, we know we need to get that just in case for hire care but wanted to be sure there wasn’t anything we could do from the flights side of things.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@NickyJ, it'll be just as bad for everyone travelling to the SFaB2019 by car. Previously, we'd thought that the post-Brexit fallout would have settled by then but now it's all back into unknown territory. IDP 1968 and Green-cards will be needed just in case...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar wrote:
NickyJ wrote:
Would it be like any other cancelled flight and the airline has a requirement to reschedule us?
As others have said, at this stage probably no-one has a clear idea, but in strict terms my guess is that a change in the regulatory structure which made it impossible for an airline to operate would very probably fall outside its responsibility to provide compensation. Also, is it correct that airline compensation schemes are based on EU regulations, so any non-EU airline might not be compelled to offer compensation in any case?.

I suspect you're right, but there must be an argument that this was reasonably foreseeable?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jd_evans wrote:
@NickyJ, it'll be just as bad for everyone travelling to the SFaB2019 by car. Previously, we'd thought that the post-Brexit fallout would have settled by then but now it's all back into unknown territory. IDP 1968 and Green-cards will be needed just in case...

Oh I agree, I had found quite a bit of stuff about what to do if driving when searching but nothing about the flying element you see. Probably wrong search terms but there you go Happy
latest report
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
I suspect you're right, but there must be an argument that this was reasonably foreseeable?
I have no idea how the compensation system works, but isn't there a difference between reasonably foreseeable, and outside of the airline's control? I can foresee that hurricanes might cause delays if I'm flying to Florida or the Caribbean, but I'm pretty sure that such things are outside of the airline's control. I think it's reasonable to assume that Brexit and consequent regulatory changes are also outside of airline's control wink
ski holidays
NickyJ wrote:
@Handy Turnip, hubby went in to the post office today to get the form for the IDP.... they couldn’t find it! That was my feeling, we know we need to get that just in case for hire care but wanted to be sure there wasn’t anything we could do from the flights side of things.

So do I need to get a IDP just for the drive back to the airport on the 13th?
ski holidays
According to the government website you “may” need it. For £5.50 if the post office can actually find said form but worth having IMO
ski holidays
Switzerland has already done a deal if you happen to be heading to GVA
snow report
The car is being hired from the Swiss side in Geneva, but on the 13th I’ll be driving through France back to Geneva.
snow conditions
NickyJ wrote:
We are (hopefully!) flying out on the 13th April, as I am sure are many other snowHeads.

I don’t want this to be a Brexit debate thread but should the worst happen and there be no deal on the 12th and there be a slight delay in sorting out the reciprocal agreements needed for flying between airspace etc and my flight be cancelled with British Airways.... where do I stand?
Thanks.

My guess would be: In the huge crowd at the check in desks wink

I'm sure it will be fine. Planes will not stop flying, but be prepared for the mother of delays when you try and get back into the country.
snow conditions
@NickyJ, regarding the IDP, there isn't a form, you just take your uk plastic driving licence into the post office and they laboriously transpose the details onto the IDP which is in the form of an A5 piece of card with various translations in the middle. There is lots of stamping of the sections which you are allowed to drive, which is kind of funny and the whole thing looks like something out of a board game.

Don't forget you need a recent passport photo. It will take about 5 to 10 minutes to get the licence.
snow conditions
Got my IDP today. The man behind the counter tried to convince me I didn't need it, that everything had been pushed back to May. "What, in the last hour since I checked the news?" I asked. "Oh yes", he said, "I've been checking the news all day". Unsurprisingly, I then checked, and nothing had changed, he just had Understanding Fail.

I said I needed it for July as well. "Oh, Brexit probably won't happen then either, you're wasting your money." The worrying thing was that he was probably telling other customers this who believed him. Frankly I'd rather spend a fiver and not have to worry about rushing back into town at the last minute to get it sorted, especially as it lasts three years. It would cost me a lot more than a fiver in terms of stress trying to find an open post office outside working hours just before leaving!

Anyway, got my IDP from him, although he was still very reluctant. The passport photos, that I hadn't realised I needed, cost me £6 from the crappy booth nearby, 50p more than the permit itself rolling eyes

We were booked on the Channel Tunnel for 7am on the 12th to drive down for the Family bash. We're now booked on it 12 hours earlier, and I have a hotel booked just south of Calais. It'll probably still be really busy in the event of a no-deal Brexit on the 12th, but at least they're used to busy - that's business as usual for them. The hotel we've booked has given us 24 hour access codes and very kindly expressed sympathy for any potential Brexity delays!
latest report
We're flying 30th March to GVA, but driving to the Three Valleys so decided to get a international driving licence just in case...not needed now for our week but they last three years so might come in handy before they run out!
latest report
Er. Are you all overthinking this.
snow conditions
andy1234 wrote:
@NickyJ, regarding the IDP, there isn't a form, you just take your uk plastic driving licence into the post office and they laboriously transpose the details onto the IDP which is in the form of an A5 piece of card with various translations in the middle. There is lots of stamping of the sections which you are allowed to drive, which is kind of funny and the whole thing looks like something out of a board game.

Don't forget you need a recent passport photo. It will take about 5 to 10 minutes to get the licence.

Thanks for this. Hubby walked the mile into town to get this sorted, to find the post office closed due to a broken window. We are not having much luck here!
latest report
Third time lucky, we now have one. Apparently first one that post office has had to do, which surprised me.
snow report
I too am flying on April 13th on a Skiworld/BA chartered flight from Gatwick to Grenoble.

I am and have always been of the 'catastrophising disposition', much to the annoyance of my family - so you can maybe imagine what it's like at home ATM with me panicking about flights and exploring alternate methods of travel should the worst happen.

However, a quick search just now has found this:
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/flights-protected-in-no-deal-brexit-scenario

Surely we can find some solace in it...?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Rather short on detail to provide much comfort for me, @BRi87, but I'm hopeful that it won't be more than delays at passport control.

As it is, I'm heading to the SFaB via Southampton and Geneva, on Flybe. Hopefully small airport to non-EU airport will minimise the imbuggerance.
latest report
Thanks @tomj, I hope you're right.

Slightly more detail here, not a lot though
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/air-services-from-the-eu-to-the-uk-in-the-event-of-no-deal
snow conditions
@BRi87, result! We deliberately avoided booking for a long weekend at the end of March. So the ValaisGrom and I will be flying to GVA on April 10th. And flying back 17th when everything Brexit will be fully sorted!

Sigh.
snow conditions
EasyJet sent me this in regards to a flight I've booked for Mrs Z on 13th April.

Quote:
We’re really looking forward to welcoming you on board soon.

Just in case you’re wondering if Brexit will affect your trip you can rest easy as we have it all covered. Regardless of the outcome of the ongoing Brexit debate we’ve been busy planning and will continue to fly as usual. So, all you need to do is concentrate on planning for your trip.

Please remember to check if your passport is valid for travel. We recommend that all UK passport holders check the validity of their passport especially in the event of a no deal Brexit. Please visit the UK government website where you’ll find a handy online tool to check if your passport will be valid for travel.

Visit our Brexit FAQs for further information.

And if there’s anything you need to change before you travel, it's quick and easy to do it online.

Yours sincerely,

The easyJet team
snow conditions
Ray Zorro wrote:
EasyJet sent me this in regards to a flight I've booked for Mrs Z on 13th April.

Quote:
We’re really looking forward to welcoming you on board soon.

Just in case you’re wondering if Brexit will affect your trip you can rest easy as we have it all covered. Regardless of the outcome of the ongoing Brexit debate we’ve been busy planning and will continue to fly as usual. So, all you need to do is concentrate on planning for your trip.

Please remember to check if your passport is valid for travel. We recommend that all UK passport holders check the validity of their passport especially in the event of a no deal Brexit. Please visit the UK government website where you’ll find a handy online tool to check if your passport will be valid for travel.

Visit our Brexit FAQs for further information.

And if there’s anything you need to change before you travel, it's quick and easy to do it online.

Yours sincerely,

The easyJet team

Cool, that's good customer service by them. Wish I had received something similar to put me at ease!
ski holidays
@BRi87, was thinking the same- come on British Airways
latest report
NickyJ wrote:
@BRi87, was thinking the same- come on British Airways

I've just mailed them, but I'll try call their customer service line later.
latest report
Reply from BA

Dear Mr

Thank you for writing to us about your upcoming journey with British Airways.

I can reassure you that we will continue to fly all our customers to their destinations and operate a normal schedule whether a deal is agreed or if Britain leaves the EU with no deal in place.

Please feel free to let us know if you have any more questions. If you are thinking of changing a journey/ticket because of this reason, I should confirm that the normal terms and conditions would apply to the fare type you bought.

Please feel free to let us know if you have any more questions.

Kind regards
Mujib
British Airways
snow conditions
@BRi87, nice to have a response, I’m amazed they haven’t sent that out as a matter of course to all bookings.
snow report
Thanks @BRi87.

I’m still holding off getting a IDP at this point. Did we actually conclude whether one was needed?
ski holidays
@Handy Turnip, it may be needed and for £5.50 it isn’t worth the risk IMHO.
ski holidays
Got my IDP this morning. My booked Eurotunnel is at 23:50 on the 12th. However, if there is any delay (for example, caused by gendarmes checking for flimsy bits of paper to prove eligibility to drive!) then I could be in a queue that extends beyond midnight!!!

I wasn’t willing to take the chance, but I did only get an IDP for me. If my wife happens to be driving around midnight, we will have to swap-over. snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy