Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to clean goose down ski gloves

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've got a pair of Gordini gortex goose down ski gloves which could do with a wash. Was thinking of hand washing them in some warm water with a bit of hand wash detergent. Only thing I'm not sure how the goose down inside will fair. Anyone know if this is OK to do? Cheers.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Use Nikwax down wash then tumble dry them in a tumble dry net bag with spike balls (ir tennis balls if you don't have spikes balls) the balls bash the down as it drys and makes it fluffy and stops clumping. I've only done this with Jackets and it is not too bad for down (you can get away with not doing this) but for things like the North face termobobble it is essential.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Great thanks. I'll look into that!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@bendiddley, why on earth would you buy goose down ski gloves Puzzled Puzzled yes it's a terrific insulator for duvets and apres clothing but it's non wicking, even absorbant in a clothing item that for a lot of people is a major heat radiation point and sweat producer. Again, great for wandering around a freezing resort after a night on the lash . . . But use as a sports glove? If they stink because you've been sweating in them QED, if they're just dirty, probably best just leave them alone unless there is a 'care' label stitched inside for guidance. Have you looked on the manufacturer's website?
Seriously unless you are an extreme conditions skier, real down, as lovely as it is, is not the best sports use insulation. Modern synthetic down alternatives are as good and better at vapour transfer through suitable shell materials.

Caveat: I'm a heavy bloke who generates a LOT of heat, skinny bods who don't sweat can get away with wearing non-wicking materials . . . and my duvet is (where's a heart smiley when you need one?)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@bendiddley, I’ve got a pair of Gordini mittens. Have had them for years and love them in cold, windy conditions. I’ve washed them successfully using Nikwax down wash exactly as GlasgowCyclops suggests. The washing doesn’t seem to have affected the snow proofing or breathability.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Masque wrote:
@bendiddley, why on earth would you buy goose down ski gloves Puzzled Puzzled yes it's a terrific insulator for duvets and apres clothing but it's non wicking, even absorbant in a clothing item that for a lot of people is a major heat radiation point and sweat producer. Again, great for wandering around a freezing resort after a night on the lash . . . But use as a sports glove? If they stink because you've been sweating in them QED, if they're just dirty, probably best just leave them alone unless there is a 'care' label stitched inside for guidance. Have you looked on the manufacturer's website?
Seriously unless you are an extreme conditions skier, real down, as lovely as it is, is not the best sports use insulation. Modern synthetic down alternatives are as good and better at vapour transfer through suitable shell materials.

Caveat: I'm a heavy bloke who generates a LOT of heat, skinny bods who don't sweat can get away with wearing non-wicking materials . . . and my duvet is (where's a heart smiley when you need one?)

To be honest I've found them very good and not had any problems with wicking.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Grangers is also an option and YES Happy they now sell the down wash with the balls.

https://grangers.co.uk/blogs/news/why-protect-your-down
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy