Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

It's killing me holding off booking Easter week

Poster: A snowHead
kitenski wrote:
@Gazzza, if you fancy Italy, then La Thuile maybe worth a look? I've just got a deal with a 20 Euro per day lift pass accom at this place below, and they are doing the same deal over Easter it appears.. Never stayed there before but got the name from a search on here. Seems to have a consistently good snow record down to the village at 1500m.

https://www.hotelchaletalpina.com/

Thanks for this, I am keeping my eyes open for places next Easter easily reachable from Turin. This looks good for that (especially if they run that lift pass deal again)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kitenski wrote:
@Layne, doesn't seem that "grim" to me in 3V!

http://youtube.com/v/xa8OzCcK_O8

All well and good but #1 there is still nothing in the 6 day forecast and #2 I need some off piste.

And I think the geezer has a vested interest.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just had this pop into my email,

https://www.skiolympic.com/special-offers

We still have a few last minute offers for our loyal supporters.

31st March - Down to £495

7th April - Down to £695 (La Foret only)

14th April - Down to £595

21st April - Down to £395*

Includes flights from Manchester or Gatwick

Les Arcs/Vallandry - Chalet La Foret

La Plagne - Chalet Graciosa

Both chalets are ski in, ski out, and that means pretty much to the door !!

*accommodation only, but we'll help with booking your flights
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You snooze, you lose.

Just book it and go.

La Plagne, Tignes, etc.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Check out Tignes. Co. UK they are offering a free apartment if you book 2 ski 6 day ski passes. W/c 21 April
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Whitegold wrote:
You snooze, you lose.

I'm not so sure with a late Easter. There's tons of accommodation about at the moment, and waiting, whilst driving me nuts, is giving me the chance to see what options are best.

I think the thing with the obvious spring skiing places, notably Espace Killy and VT, is they are comparatively busy - they get booked up earlier because they are reliably good late season. But having done Courchevel 3 times at Easter, the slopes there are pretty empty and rarely a wait for a lift, whilst the days we've toured over to VT, we've run into queues 20 people deep and 12 people wide at the major chairs.

But if the stars align and weather and conditions are reasonably good, the less high places will have great skiing but be deserted by comparison. We did Le Corbier last Easter, and it was incredibly empty. Turned out to be one of our best ski holidays. We never waited for a single chair and often had pistes to ourselves. We were blessed with three days of fresh snow, and you could pick up easy fresh tracks on piste for the first hour or two and off the edge of the piste all day because it was so quiet.
http://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/29694907_10160136565545099_3892596239811739648_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx&oh=f283db8ab6c3a268a3ef025d5a16bd63&oe=5D41B00B

So there's something to be said about waiting and bagging a lower quite resort if you can and if the weather brings favour. Plus the bargains are to be had at the lower resorts (we paid about 400 quid for a 2 bed apartment on the piste last year and kids lift passes were free).

...Having said all that, the 6 day forecast for Wagrain is for 3 days of rain Sad http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Wagrain/6day/mid

Dumps of snow due slightly higher in Austria: http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/St-Anton/6day/mid

And 3v: https://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Meribel/6day/mid
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks @kitenski for the skiolympic and La Thuile links.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Gazzza, Have a look at the snow depths in Flaine. Usually it has good snow and empty slopes in April. Much of it is north facing.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Gazzza, I hope you'll update us the tread when you book - I can then live my non-trip this year vicariously through yours!!!! Very Happy
Daughter broke up on Friday and when picking her up from school I was bemoaning the fact we weren't heading for the tunnel!!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@dunc999, shame - I saw quite a few good deals for this week which I put down the fact that most schools aren’t finishing until this coming Friday.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@dunc999, Yes will do.

Another week on I'm still holding out debating where to go - I've never left it this late before ! I almost booked flights and car hire to Munich last week but the forecast of rain in lower resorts put me off, though there's now some snow forecast later this week at most places, even lower end.

There's some packages starting to drop to similar to DIY drive price range so weighing up some of those too but I think it will be next for a real deal to be had. Fall back position remains drive down on Friday 12th.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@NickyJ, Sad Sad Sad
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
What's the opposite of biting the bullet?

After much deliberation and discussion we are bailing on our trip next week.

This weeks forecast dump of snow Wed/Thu almost swung it but several other factors - home life, work, general, relatively late school breaking, blah blah is weighted against it.

I am now thinking of how we/I can go big next season.... more on that later. In the meantime I am going to try to avoid threads telling me about the cracking late season conditions wink rolling eyes Toofy Grin Laughing snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In my experience better just to book it
Mrs will give you a gobby if you’re lucky
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm dying for some late seasons skiing but I'm back in the states so peeking at Tahoe or something similar
snow conditions
@Gazzza, I'm in La thuile at the moment, mainly due to the 20 euro a day lift pass! just had a chat with the owner, she said loads of resorts in this area do it, but not all establishments push it! Worth checking as it saves a fair bit!
snow conditions
Booked today for Chamonix ! Woo hoo! Bargain price
snow conditions
Booked today for Chamonix ! Woo hoo! Bargain price
snow report
Oops. Double post
snow conditions
@Gazzza, given the pictures I am seeing from Italy.... if i wasn’t booked I would be looking that way right now Happy
ski holidays
Yes there's been deluges ! Isn't the deep stuff over in the Dolomites ? I'm not sure Aosta had the same volumes ?

Long story short, I've now got BA flights and car hire to Grenoble booked, departing Saturday morning returning Sunday morning.
£215 per person for flight and car package (People Carrier Renault Espace sized).

So Austria is now out. Italy may be a goer, but 3v, EK, Flaine, all remain as options. Maybe the Aosta resorts. I'll either get a skiamis catered chalet type deal or a sunweb self catering in one of the nice apartments. Will make a call on where next weel Toofy Grin

Exciting to be booked... Well, half booked Happy

As packages go, Alpine Elements and Nielson have pretty good packages for w/c 13. I almost booked an 5* catered chalet in La Plagne with the former but snoozed and loosed on that one and it went (bargain at 500 pp too!). I also almost booked a Nielson catered chalet hotel package to Alpe D'Huez (around £1800 for the 4 of us all in), but despite being BA flights they didn't offer the usual BA ski carriage(where you can take ski bags as your hold luggage) and wanted to sting us £45 per person each way to take ski bags, even making a big thing about not having 2 skis in a bag etc. I'm sure we'd have got away with it, but it's not the point, so I voted with my feet. Anyway if anyone hasn't got skis they have some reasonable deals at the moment.
ski holidays
@Gazzza, that's pretty good for flights, bags and a car, I didn't realise BA did such deals!
snow conditions
Yes I was a bit surprised when I looked some weeks back and stumbled on LGW-LYS on BA.com for under £100 person but missed it after procrastinating. Anyway earlier this week I looked again and was surprised to see they had dropped their Grenoble route, so the outbound leg is only £30 (£46 with luggage) on Sat 13th. The return on Sun 21 is 106 (£126 with luggage), being Easter Sunday, bringing it to 650 ish for the 4 of us. There was then £100 or so discount for booking it as a car and flight package, so 865 all in. We could have got it 700 if we could have fitted in a compact.

My guess is some tour ops may have had seats held on the route on the assumption they were going to sell package holidays but have now since released them, so they dropped into lower seat price brackets on BA.com. Lots of the other routes were the typical BA school holiday prices, eg. some of the Austrian routes the return leg was 300-400 pp, so yes a rare deal on BA during holiday time I think.

I can spend the weekend debating where to book accommodation now Happy
The nice thing is most places seem to have had a top in the last few days so I think the options are open.
latest report
One thing to note about booking BA flights is that if you book a flight and either car hire or hotel together, the pricing is differently calculated (and you deal with BA Holidays). This can result in some really surprising deals. For example, I priced three tickets to Athens from London once - and then added a car for five days. Adding the car resulted in the price going *down* by £75 - and when I got to the Avis counter at Athens they gave me a Mercedes C Class. Bargain!
snow report
@kitenski, booked BA Innsbruck from LHR on Sunday, flying back to LGW on Saturday, 9000 Avios PP, sorted the trains from Leeds for less than £50 per person return………… cheaper than parking at LHR/LGW for 6 days!!

ST Anton 4* DB&B at less han £50 pppn, get to Strolz sale Sunday, what's not to love for an end of season cheapy?
latest report
@skimastaaah, nice deal!
ski holidays
Good deal @skimastaaah. I must admit I never thought of looking for avios reward flights, assumed they'd all be gone. Innsbruck flights for cash were expensive when I looked this week.
snow report
for anyone hedging their bets about where to go, we have had a beautiful few days here in Tyrol, but from tomorrow evening it is forecast to rain for several days.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@brandegg, snow-forecast say snow in the Vorarlberg a few days next week. But they always keep changing their "forecast".
snow report
Don't know why I looked but.... Those BA to Grenoble flights I booked last week (departing this Sat 13th, returning Easter Sunday) are £100 cheaper today, grrrr, bucking the rule that flights tend to get more expensive the close to the time. Family of 4 (2 ad, 2ch) now around £550 (with checked luggage) if anyone is looking for a bargain....
snow report
Flying out very early Easter Monday with BA Avios and back late on Friday (£30 return with Avios); train from Geneva to Saas Fee (99CHF return supersaver), budget hotel 180CHF for four nights, season lift pass still valid. Four-and-a-half days skiing at high altitude. Very Happy
latest report
@Gazzza, oooooohhhhhhh........if only Sad
snow report
LOTA wrote:
Flying out very early Easter Monday with BA Avios and back late on Friday (£30 return with Avios); train from Geneva to Saas Fee (99CHF return supersaver), budget hotel 180CHF for four nights, season lift pass still valid. Four-and-a-half days skiing at high altitude. Very Happy

I've booked flights today going to Geneva this Thursday 11th and back Tuesday 15th. After much deliberation, I'd pretty much settled on AlpyBus to Verbier but then realised I could take the train to Le Chable instead.

Then you said you were getting train to Saas Fee and I checked out the forecast for there and it's LOTS of snow for this weekend, so now investigating that. Not sure whether I should thank you at this stage or not!
latest report
@jebroni3_16, it's not a particularly quick rail/bus journey - about 3.5 hours - to Saas Fee so you would need to factor that in to your travel plans.

Also the mountain does have a tendency to close down during snowstorms so again something to take into account.
snow conditions
Thanks @LOTA

I did have a quick look and figured as much, but as I get into Geneva at 09:20 and my flight out isn't until 16:45, I figured I'd at least be making proper use of my two "travel" days.

I should probably keep things simple at this late stage and just do the sensible thing and stick to Verbier though... or Nendaz as I've now started looking at that instead!
snow report
+1 @LOTA. Been in SaaS Fee couple of times and resort shut when snowing and a bit after for avi blasting. Also it is a long transfer. Lovely train ride but it is long.
snow report
Well, the forecast for the next ten days is snow, and lots of it, especially this weekend, so I've done the safe thing and gone with Verbier, but I hope you enjoy all that fresh pow when you get there @LOTA Very Happy
latest report
Layne wrote:
What's the opposite of biting the bullet?

After much deliberation and discussion we are bailing on our trip next week.

This weeks forecast dump of snow Wed/Thu almost swung it but several other factors - home life, work, general, relatively late school breaking, blah blah is weighted against it.

I am now thinking of how we/I can go big next season.... more on that later. In the meantime I am going to try to avoid threads telling me about the cracking late season conditions wink rolling eyes Toofy Grin Laughing snowHead

Scratch that!

Tunnel booked for Friday. Just sorting an apartment!!
snow conditions
Nice change of plan @Layne. Looks like light snow the next few days then clear on Saturday for the drive in and low temps. Just need a dump to line up for Sunday Happy

Good deal for a late break @LOTA. Mind you you'll need another grand for 4 nights out in a restaruant in Saas Fee Laughing

After much procrastination I decided to aim high and settled on Les Menuires. We've done many a year in Courchevel but each trip tend to only do around two days doing the likes of VT,LM, Masses and Valon, and with kids in tow it's usually a there-lunch-back,so be nice to spend most the week there to properly explore that end of the 3v.

Booked a 3 bedroomed apartment with pool/spa in Reberty, near Bruyeres, for £845. The kids will have the novelty of their own rooms for a change, rather than cramming into cabine bunks for a change snowHead
Could have picked up a catered deal for 1,100 but it was down in Bettex, so went for location rather than service, plus the kids will have a pool.

Just need to find an overnight hotel near Grenoble airport for the Saturday night before the Sunday morning flight home.
latest report
Gazzza wrote:
Nice change of plan @Layne. Looks like light snow the next few days then clear on Saturday for the drive in and low temps. Just need a dump to line up for Sunday Happy

Good deal for a late break @LOTA. Mind you you'll need another grand for 4 nights out in a restaruant in Saas Fee Laughing

After much procrastination I decided to aim high and settled on Les Menuires. We've done many a year in Courchevel but each trip tend to only do around two days doing the likes of VT,LM, Masses and Valon, and with kids in tow it's usually a there-lunch-back,so be nice to spend most the week there to properly explore that end of the 3v.

Booked a 3 bedroomed apartment with pool/spa in Reberty, near Bruyeres, for £845. The kids will have the novelty of their own rooms for a change, rather than cramming into cabine bunks for a change snowHead
Could have picked up a catered deal for 1,100 but it was down in Bettex, so went for location rather than service, plus the kids will have a pool.

Just need to find an overnight hotel near Grenoble airport for the Saturday night before the Sunday morning flight home.

Not really! Was there for a week in March and with a little bit of shopping around you can find places that are decently priced in Saas. Avoid steak, which is nose-bleedingly expensive, and it's not too bad at all. Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy