Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I think I need more power through r98s with Rad 2s?

Poster: A snowHead
I currently ski White Dot R98s fitted with Dynafit Radical 2 STs. My boots are the Dynafit TLT 6. I love this setup for touring but I have found that on hard pistes the skis are clattery and it just sort of feels like I need more power/weight through them to make things work. I'm quite light too (65kg) so I wonder if the whole set-up (including me) is a bit light for in-bounds skiing. I also really struggle to get an edge on icy stuff but that's probably more sh't technique than kit Wink

I'm contemplating options, including getting a separate alpine/downhill setup (second set of boots, narrower skis plus bindings) but obviously this is costly. Another idea and maybe a favourite is to switch the bindings from the Rad 2s to the Shifts with Quiver Killers, change the TLT6 for something compatible and still lightweight for touring and get a second pair of stiff alpine boots. This would enable me to ski the 98s hard off the lifts but also leave me with a decent light(ish) touring setup. I could then also grab a second set of skis that are narrower if I feel I need it in the future and thus end up with a hard and soft snow ski with a shared binding.

Any advice or thoughts?

Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Why not get the skis QK'd for a decent DIN binding, and also QK the Rad2 holes. Then buy a piste boot and you have a tech and DIN set up for the R98. Then if you fancy a skinny piste ski you can add that later and just get it QC'd for the DIN binding which you can share between that and the R98's.

PS are the R98s trad or CL?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In your shoes I would buy an alpine setup.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I too have R98s with Radical 2 STs and reasonably stiff boots. I don't find the bindings are a limiting factor. I know what you mean for a day on pistes, the set up is a bit limiting if I want to blast around and maximise amount of descent in a day, I used to have Whitedot Ones (89 under foot) which were a bit better in this respect. However I am happy to compromise in having a single ski with the R98s that does everything well if not the best for on piste. If I was able to spend more time skiing I would get a separate alpine ski and binding, narrow with metal in them for stiffness for piste only days, or at least hire them for a week (if compatible with my Technica Cochise Pro-lite soles)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sounds like technique is the limiting factor but if you want to buy some shiny new kit go for it
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Arno, Laughing Laughing nothing wrong with that set up

I have the same binding and have been charging around all season on and off pistes with my Ragnaroks, it’s seriously not the binding they are super stable at speed and clatter.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@nosiesta, It's the TLT6's that are the weak link as they're 100 flex (at best and no stiffer laterally) but also have a bit a lower cuff so even though you're light they're not going to be great at driving a wider ski.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
midgetbiker wrote:
Why not get the skis QK'd for a decent DIN binding, and also QK the Rad2 holes. Then buy a piste boot and you have a tech and DIN set up for the R98. Then if you fancy a skinny piste ski you can add that later and just get it QC'd for the DIN binding which you can share between that and the R98's.

PS are the R98s trad or CL?

Good idea, I honestly didn't know you could drill a ski twice at the same time with QK.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Markymark29 wrote:
@Arno, Laughing Laughing nothing wrong with that set up

I have the same binding and have been charging around all season on and off pistes with my Ragnaroks, it’s seriously not the binding they are super stable at speed and clatter.

Not suggesting it's the binding, just wondering if the setup as a whole is too light. Cheers.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
spyderjon wrote:
@nosiesta, It's the TLT6's that are the weak link as they're 100 flex (at best and no stiffer laterally) but also have a bit a lower cuff so even though you're light they're not going to be great at driving a wider ski.

Thanks for this. I love the boot for touring. It would be a trade off replacing it with a stiffer and I suppose heavier boot that'd do both. Perhaps the double QK option is a good one.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If they fit your feet, I have found Technica Zero G are both fairly light (1.5kg/boot from memory) for touring and stiff enough for downhill.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@nosiesta, I'm only a few kg heavier than you and the R98/Radical 2 combo works for my weight. I'm not familiar with the TLT 6 but a cheap fix may be to replace the top strap with a powerstrap. It worked on my Technica pro-lights (predecessor of the Zero G but different fit) to increase the stiffness to that of a standard Cochise 120 but still really easy to tour in. Otherwise shop around for the newer light weight freeride / touring boots, may be the cheapest and simplest solution?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

That's what I think.
I gave up on skiing a similar boot for lift served / side country on my R108s because they just didn't offer enough support (particular height but also stiffness).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So essentially it’s either a new do-all boot, prob a lightweight freestyle, or an alipine binding and boot with QK on this and the Rad2s. Hmmm. Too many options!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
nosiesta wrote:
spyderjon wrote:

Thanks for this. I love the boot for touring. It would be a trade off replacing it with a stiffer and I suppose heavier boot that'd do both. Perhaps the double QK option is a good one.

Keep the TLT’s for touring and get a decent Freeride Boot for lift served and piste.

And then start building up your quiver with increasingly fat skis snowHead
latest report
Related subject - please PM me if you're interested in these? I can email photos....

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=142582&highlight=
latest report
I would have thought that at 65kg, you're always going to find it hard work to rail a 98mm ski or get an edge on icy pistes - regardless of how magical White Dots are, that's a wide ski for a little person Laughing . The binding won't be the weak link though.
snow report
I don't agree at 68 kg on R98s, unweighting then weighting helps, particulary when need to tighten the curve as R98 has quite a long radius
snow conditions
Kooky is only 52kg and skis well on Whitedot Director carbonlites at 108mm but then she is using a 110 flex alpine boot, with her much softer touring boots it's harder to get a decent edge in. She does much prefer Atomic Access skis for heavier snow or crud as the lighter skis get chucked round a lot. You do need to be quite a good technical skier to carve fat skis well and as said above, they are damned hard work on the legs for long piste runs.
snow report
Boots...................
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy