Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BSL differences

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Sometimes boot BSL very quite a bit between boots of the stated mondo size.

i.e. my old Dynafit Zzeros are 27.5 / 306.

Most recent 27.5s are more like 313-316.

Are these likely longer internally, or does it come down to how a manufacturer measures/defines their mondo sizes?

I am doing some online shopping for AT boots. Shell fit in the Zzeros is approx. a 1.5cm shell fit. Am I landing between shells in Tecnica 0Gs for example?

cheers!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@danbre2022, something, in 51 years of skiing, I have never, ever considered. Not considering it now either.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was just wonderung where the extra cm goes, as heel/toe are ISO/Din spec anyway and plastic thickness should be somewhat comparable?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Mondo size is used to describe the inner dimensions, i.e. the length of your foot, whereas the BSL is the total external sole length, i.e. all of what fits between the bindings. Different construction can have thicker or thinner shells and add more or less plastic between the boot shell itself and the extremes of the heel and toe pieces.

So variations between brands and even between different models from the same brand are common. Here's a chart showing many of them https://theskimonster.com/blog/posts/ski-boot-sole-length-comparison-chart/
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
and MP half sizes are created with insoles ...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
under a new name wrote:
and MP half sizes are created with insoles ...

Although if you usually get a 27.5 be careful of Scarpa F1 LT’s where it’s a 27.5/28 rather than a 27/27.5 and so most people need to size up
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
In the past I'd say BSL for a mondo has been in a narrow band, eg 27.5 being 313-317mm.

The exception was always 'touring boots' which ran up to 10mm shorter for a given mondo. Another anomaly was boots with swappable soles eg Technica Cochise which ran about 5mm longer.

That's all a bit blurred now with all the hybrid boots, and less of a clear distinction. So I think boots coming out of a manufacturer who 'historically made' DIN boots still conform to the 313-317 band, but similar use boots from a 'touring boot manufacturer' still run shorter.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Don't know if it might be deliberate in some way, ie a shorter BSL creating a more natural 'walking' motion, so touring boot manufacturers designing their boots to do what they could to keep the BSL down? Sounds plausible at least. I'm sure someone who knows will be along in a minute...........
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
on an alpine norm boot (be it 5355 or gripwalk) 26.5 can be anything from 300mm - 309mm mostly as people have said due to construction of the boots and wall thicknesses etc... when it comes to touring boots they are a law unto themselves, most run shorter externally as they don't have the full size lugs toe and heel, some of the new breed don't have a toe lug at all to bring the pivot under the toes for a more natural stride when skinning, but also to save weight, every time they shave a mm or 2 of plastic they are saving weight and that seems to be in the whole marketing story they are telling... whether it is actually what the people want who knows, i don't hear many people shouting about a 10-100gram difference unless they are looking for a very specific boot for a very specific job, sure saving a bit of weight can be a good thing, but there is a point when it goes too far and then things start to fail

remember it is the internal of the boot that is important in terms of fit and some 303mm 26.5 boots fit longer than 306mm ones, its all about toe box shape, heel pocket and how well the liner matches the shell contours
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It’s sad I know but I thought that this was going to be about British Sign Language and differences with other variations
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy