Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wanted - old ski poles 110cm

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,

I’m just asking around if anyone has a pair old ski poles, 110cm that they don’t want/need and are looking to give them away?

I’m thinking of doing some race training at the local snowdome and I just need a pair that I won’t be afraid of thrashing if I fall horribly or something...

I’m using 115cm at the moment but starting to feel like they are actually too long for me (at 159cm height...). Any advice on that?

If I do take to racing at all, I’ll get proper poles and all that but not now.... Not for a super busy no-longer-young adult who’s dream is to ski like Mikaela but only started skiing 4 years ago, and knows that it’s only a dream. Skullie Cool

Ah well I can only work towards being the best me that I can be eh? Toofy Grin Little Angel

Thank you in advance if you do and wouldn’t mind letting me have them! PM or message if you do... snowHead
ski holidays     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
aewynia wrote:
I’m using 115cm at the moment but starting to feel like they are actually too long for me (at 159cm height...). Any advice on that?

I went up one size for my race poles last winter as I felt that I wasn't able to push off strongly enough with the shorter ones, I see a lot of kids with poles that are too short to start effectively.

Plates on skis and modern boots can mean that your foot is nearly 10cm above the snow, so you need to take account of this.

Maybe ask a coach what would be the correct size for you.
latest report     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
can't you just borrow a pair at the snowdome?
snow conditions     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yep they sound too long for you - to put in context my poles are only 125 and I'm sure I'm more than 10cm taller than you. But just grab them off the rack at CFe - I've never used my own poles indoors.
snow report     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks guys for the advice. Will ask a coach about the right size again @rjs. Previously when I learning at the snow dome one coach thought 115cm was right for me, and another thought 110cm was right for me. I’ve never clarified the issue but have been using 115cm on piste in resorts since.
latest report     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@aewynia, I am 163 cm and use 110 poles. 115 are just too long
snow conditions     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@aewynia, Until you decide that you need handguards I would just use a set from the slope. The ones at Chill Factore are fine for that -- you can then decide 110 or 115. I'm 165 cm tall -- I find 115s a bit short for racing, because of the plate on the ski, and 120s a bit long, but then I do get a better start. When you do decide to purchase, although expensive, it is worth getting (and paying for good ones), I tried a cheaper set and they both bent... just from starts, not crashing
snow report     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
[quote="ski"]@aewynia, Until you decide that you need handguards I would just use a set from the slope. The ones at Chill Factore are fine for that -- you can then decide 110 or 115. I'm 165 cm tall -- I find 115s a bit short for racing, because of the plate on the ski, and 120s a bit long, but then I do get a better start. When you do decide to purchase, although expensive, it is worth getting (and paying for) a good pair, I tried a cheaper set and they both bent... just from starts, not crashing.
snow report     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@holidayloverxx, haha thank you this sounds like I have a genuine reason to buy new ski poles! Toofy Grin Laughing

Then I read @ski’s post (thank you) and my excuse started to disappear... rolling eyes

It sounds like I should be using 110cm for everyday use, on piste etc (off piste? Cross the bridge when I get to it I think!).

But when it comes to trying out racing a longer pole seems to be more favoured...

@ski, I’ve been lucky enough to have friends and acquaintances kindly donate me some of their old ski racing gear (their children’s ones rather, as my hands and legs/feet are in that category), so I’ve got most things I need for a start, even if they are old/second-hand ones. Except a helmet with chin guard but I gather that’s not really necessary to begin with... anyway I’ll never know till I give it a proper go!

Look forward to hearing other people’s experiences or advice, thanks again! snowHead
snow conditions     
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@aewynia, look at the poles the racers use...
ski holidays     

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy