Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

To Board or Ski - Zermatt Early April

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
[size=18]Hi All

Advice needed please. We are off to Zermatt early April a group of four lads who have had an annual 5 night snowboarding trip for the last 15 years.

I ski as well as board and feel that I may be starting to prefer the skis to the board as I actually think I am better, faster and more in control on skis.

So my question is do you think a group of 3 boarders and 1 skier would get along ok as we cover many kms and am not sure if the two styles are compatible? My other thought was to hang fire until we get there and see the conditions then decide what to do. I would imagine if there is fresh snow and some off piste going on then the board would be the choice BUT if the snow is not good and maybe slushy in the afternoon would the skis be the better choice?

Anybody have any experience or advice they could share please?

Many thanks.

Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In my experience people that do both prefer boards when it gets slushy, although I imagine it comes down to personal preference.

If you prefer the skis and feel more in control take them. Skiers and snowboarders can ride together without any issues.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Board for slush, from what I remember.
Depends on what kind of terrain they board on and whether you can ski it as well. I boarded down long lengths of moguls that I would have hated on skis.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
we are a mixed group. 2 borders, 3 skiers.
No issues. Sometimes borders wait for skiers, other times skiers for borders.
Whoever arrives at the hut first orders the beers. Whoever gets there last, gets less drinking time.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
doesn't matter, riders are riders.....everyone has fun, and that's it.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I am a skier who also boards; my OH only boards. We've coped fine like that for many a year; no reason why you and your mates can't too. Of course, when skiing within my competencies, on skis I am faster than him on a board wink
But - are you hiring skis or taking your own? Piste skis and slush don't mix so great, maybe (depends on your ability and the conditions) - you might find wider ones better to keep up with the boarders. If, of course, it's slushy spring and not icy.
If hiring, you might as well just decide when there; maybe mix and match and find out?
If taking your own, take 1 of each.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think you will get on absolutely fine - no issues at all. I’m a skier, my brother is a boarder.

Only thing I would say is that while Zermatt is great for advanced/expert boarders who can be towed and can carry speed across the flatter parts ... not so great for beginner/intermediate boarders as they will occasionally end up walking.

Zermatt frequently gets late season powder high up ... had some of my best powder days in April there.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy