Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Meribel Mottaret booked for April 2019

Poster: A snowHead
Update: meribel mottaret booked for 7 April 2019

So we have had more than a few bumps along the way trying to get this trip organised. I am waiting for an apartment owner in Meribel (Le Plateau) to get back to me but it looks like this is a no go. However, should I really be looking at Les Menuires instead?

How hard is it (how long will it take) to ski all blues (or really easy reds) to Courchevel from Les Menuires? The reason I am wanting to change is because in Les Menuires we will be closer to Val Thorens, but Meribel we will be in the middle of both. Thanks in advance

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 21-03-19 15:40; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's dead easy to get to either Meribel or VT from Les Menuires. I've never counted the actual time but i'm sure if you set off for Courcheval early doors you, and didn't divert off any side runs along the way you would be there well before lunch probably mid morning coffee ish time.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thank you
Also how do you get back to Mottaret if you ski Courchevel on blues? from the piste map it looks like you have to go round the world (or come back down the gondola?)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm now looking at Meribel Village - someone save me!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@polo99, I know it runs aganist convention but I quite like Les Menuires and would choose it over Meribel every time. It is an easy ski back to Les Menuires from Courcheval. You take the Boulevard de la Loze into meribel then the Plattieres lift up. The only difficulty is that Meribel itself will be porridge. The higher route via Motteret will be much more pleasant.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
oh that sounds like a plan. Im toying between Mottaret, Meribel Village and Les Menuires. We are self catering so I am thikning the village might be too quiet for eating out. I've sent a request for an apartment in Mottaret so just waiting to hear back
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wherever you stay in the 3Vs it is easy to get around.

It has the best interlinked, multiresort ski area in the world.

Just book one and go.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Whitegold, Lol this will be the third one, it's like they don't want my money hahah. Just booked an apartment in Mottaret so no going back now!. I am just panicking. What I have just noticed is that on another map I just opened the Aigle run to Mottaret is blue and another map it is red, so is it red now blue or blue now red?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ok, just found out the apartment is next to the Platiere, Pas du Lac and Combes lifts so I think we are in a good place
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Red and blue definitions can sometimes really freak people out and have an “oh my god, a red run” negative psychological effect on how people then physically approach a slope. I would normally say-try not to get too fixated on it, as the actual conditions on the day are far more important.

Having said that, I hate to say it, but Aigle was regraded a red run for good reason-it tends to get hard and icy in cold weather, mushy in warm weather, and always mogully and often crowded at the end of the day. There is now a dog leg on the hardest stretch which makes it easier for nervous or less experienced skiers. (I’m writing this as someone who has been mostly based in the Belleville valley so I only tend to ski Aigle in the afternoon on my way back to base-I’m sure it’s much better first thing). There’s no shame in downloading from the midstation of the Pas du lac bubble, or going via Meribel - back up and approach a Mottaret from the west side via Tougnette, but again, in April, the bottom half into Meribel from the Courchevel side can be some of the least enjoyable skiing in the 3V. To put it in context..yesterday Mr P and I (who both might reasonably be described as good skiers) jumped on the Saulire express bubble at mid station for the last leg down as we just couldn’t be arsed with the totally joyless experience of crowded mashed potato skiing down to the Chaudanne (the bottom of Meribel).
On the plus side, you can get everywhere and anywhere really easily from Mottaret...so I hope my post hasn’t freaked you out...but you did ask...and mine’s an honest answer from working and skiing a season in Menuires 13 years ago and countless weeks skiing here since. Cool
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Perty, thats good to know, we have been to three valleys before and stayed in la tania. I think you are right, it all depends on conditions. the run down from pic bleu was hideous when we went so we never skiid that side again from la tania lol, by 11am it was hideous lumpy bumpy moguls and that was in January, I bet under normal conditions it is a lovely run, but we never went back to find out (the bld de la loze was shut at the time). I am happy with my choice now so now just got to pray for a massive dump of snow the week before we leave and then wall to wall sunshine but I doubt that will be the case as no snow is forecast the next 2 weeks so just gonna enjoy what is there, hopefully in the sun Smile
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just got back from Meribel. A week ago today, we skied Meribel- VT-Meribel-Courchevel-Meribel very comfortably in one day. And that is with a nervous-better-than-she-thinks-she-is wife, who from 10 am is constantly having an eye on 'getting back'! We had lunch and couple of quick stops for cofee/choc. If you want a quick route to Courch from Mott, take Pa du Lac to the mid point, scoot across the blue to the bottom of the Biche blue and get on the Sauliere to the top. The Creux is a comfortable blue for most, even though the look over the edge for the first 200m might be daunting. From there you can go on a long cruise to 1650; or bear left for Altiport and the Croisette, the main station in 1850. Don't fancy the Creux, same way to the top, take the cable car to Verdons and cruise to the Croisette. The cable car is woth riding for the view!

PS, been to 3V 8 times in 5 years and NEVER seen the Bvd de la Loze open!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Charliegolf, oh thanks for that. Great info. Hope the runs keep up ans sont wns up all icy and horrible. I can just about deal with moguls of slush but ice is horrendous
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think Mottaret is an excellent location to be based. Easy to get to anywhere in the 3V from there, and high enough that conditions should still be perfectly decent in April. Good choice.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Charliegolf, just a thought after looking at the piste map. Why not stay on the pas du lac 2 to the top of the creux? does getting the saulire not mean you have a bit of red before you get onto the creux blue? Just hoping that 1650 still has some nice snow. I sound a bit like your wife, it's not that I am a "beginner" per se, but mention a red run to me and I freeze. If it was a red run with blue markers I would be fine lol
latest report
@polo99, the bit from the top of Saulire Express 2 / Saulire cable car down to the top of Pas du Lac 2 is an easy blue. But you are right, unless you definitely plan to take the cable car downwards it is simpler just to stay on Pas du Lac 2. The is a steep Red bit (off to the right when emerging from the Pas du Lac gondola station), but you can avoid that by going ahead towards Vizelle at first, then taking a narrow (Blue) track that curves right, then left around the bowl to the top of Creux.
latest report
Oops, double post...

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 19-03-19 17:37; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Yes, I think there are, sadly some red poles off the top of the Sauliere to get you to the Creux, but it's really fine. It's a blue run with red poles!

Added to say, if you do want to use the cable car for the ride etc, DON'T go to the top of the Pas du Lac... It's a fair walk with skis!
latest report
The route back from Courchevel to Mottaret on blues is more tricky. From the top of Saulire you have only reds towards Mottaret leading to Aigle. You can ski blues down to Chaudanne, go up Tougnette 1 and down to Mottaret or get the bus from Chaudanne.

An alternative route over is to get off Pas du Lac at the mid point and ski down on Blues and greens to Loze Express and go over the Col de la Loze. Then in familiar territory if you've already been to La Tania. You get a chance to look at Pic and the Bvd to see if they are a good route back too.
latest report
This time of year les menuires snow will be much better than meribel, if you can stay in reberty area there are several ways out into the circuit.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy