Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why are some pistes churned up early in the day, and Austrian signposting

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
deleted after a dumb comment

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 18-03-19 16:18; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ahhhh so its not snowboarders churning up the slopes, riding in groups and stopping and blocking the runs, its skiers!! Toofy Grin

I'm sure someone will be along soon though to correct me. NehNeh
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just a thing that is going to happen in spring if you are in a high traffic area. The only real answer is go somewhere quieter or get better. As for working it out - not that hard to map blue runs by proximity to the villages and potential directions of travel round a circuit or system.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Peter Stevens, by churned up I assume you mean mogulled, which happens as a result of snow conditions and amount of use. It happens more on busy slopes with a certain amount of gradient (where slope users turn more) and particularly on warmer days as the snow softens, or when fresh snow has fallen after a piste has been groomed. They are far from unskiable, but more caution may be needed.

Austrian signposting is generally very good in my experience, it's rare to find a junction where pistes meet, cross or separate without corresponding signage.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Gyro, nope, you're still wrong. It is, in fact, snowboarders pushing the snow in front of them. Toofy Grin

@Peter Stevens, don't get discouraged by wiseasses making snarky comments. Regarding your concerns, if you can, go earlier in the year. Spring conditions will churn up the slopes, as will hoardes of people. Also: the higher the altitude, the better the snow will be... *probably*. Slopes facing north stay in decent condition for longer.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Peter Stevens, a valid question for anyone that doesn't know. There are a number of factors:

Temperature - The colder the weather the less chance of the snow churning. Cold snow is drier and lighter and spreads out in fine particles. Warm snow sticks together in large, soft, heavy lumps. Also the colder it is the firmer the snow will be on piste and hence less will get dispersed when you ski over it.

Steepness of piste - The steeper the piste, the more energy that is imparted into the snow from the skis. This means that more snow is displaced and thus churned.

Piste direction - A north facing piste (northern Hemisphere) will be less affected by the sun (see temperature) than a Southern facing one.

Skier numbers - The more skiers that ski the piste, the more snow is displaced.

Fresh Snow - Fresh snow on piste is not compacted by skier use and/or piste bashers and will by nature become chopped/mounded when skied, even on a quiet day.

Ski on a cold day mid-january and the pistes will generally be in hugely better shape than a warm day in the Easter holidays.

I have now decided to ski at the end of January as all of the conditions above GENERALLY mean that the pistes will less lumpy/churned/mogulled etc than at other times
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Frosty the Snowman, but that means you miss bouncing through slushy moguls fun!!!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@nozawaonsen, Wanna swap knees? Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
@Frosty the Snowman, I have now decided to ski at the end of January as all of the conditions above GENERALLY mean that the pistes will less lumpy/churned/mogulled etc than at other times.

Does that mean we'll see you on a PreBB/BB some time soon? snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@NeddySkiGoon, I don't think so. My days of skiing solo are done. I just have too much fun skiing with the Mrs and our little gang. The days of 3/4 trips per year are also long gone as it takes me 2 months to recover Embarassed
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nozawaonsen wrote:
@Frosty the Snowman, but that means you miss bouncing through slushy moguls fun!!!

+1
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Varied conditions make it more interesting, it would be dull if every piste was the same, I enjoy it all.......except bad light natch.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
king key wrote:
Varied conditions make it more interesting, it would be dull if every piste was the same, I enjoy it all.......except bad light natch.

Weirdly, I love "bad light". It's the very best way to practise being centred over my skis. if I'm not centred, I fall over. Simples!

If I've been stuck skiing in bad light, and then the clouds clear, I have super powers cuz of all the balance practice. Yes!!! I am a *god* ( albeit a very, very, *very minor* one in the Pantheon )

Basically, I'm a sh*t skier. And bad light makes me practise better technique. No excuses allowed
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nozawaonsen wrote:

AKA Poor Man’s Powder - I love slush and moguls Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy