Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Meribel April skiing - too late?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are a family of 5, fairly new to skiing (we have skied in Alpe d'Huez in March the last two years which has been great). Next year, we are thinking of going to Meribel in the second week of the Easter holidays (so around 12 April). I'm wondering if anyone can give any advice about this as we are worried this will be too late and we won't have any snow. The reasons for Meribel are - we could have access to Val Thorens (but will this be too time consuming - we will have children in ski school so will need to be back for lunch). I think Meribel has some good wide green/blue slopes which as a nervous skier I prefer - I've never even tried a red! I think Tignes might be an alternative but I am concerned that the slopes will be too tricky for someone like me and I will be very limited there. Any advice about skiing in April much appreciated. We will be travelling with Esprit. Thank you!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When you say Meribel, do you mean Meribel-Mottaret or Meribel itself? Mottaret is quite a bit higher, so conditions likely to be better, but not so good for beginners. I've never skied Meribel in mid-April, but I suspect by then it could be getting seriously slushy on the lower slopes in the afternoon, with possibly some bare patches too. I wouldn't really recommend it.

If you're thinking of the 3V, why not go to Val Thorens? It's high, so conditions are usually still be good by then, and there's a fair few greens and easy, cruising blues too. I would also argue Courchevel (either 1650 or 1850) are better options than Meribel at that time of year (the pistes from 1650 are mostly North facing), and again, very suitable for beginners and early intermediates. Of the three valleys, Meribel would probably be my third choice given your criteria.

Regarding other questions, Val Thorens is easy to get to from Mottaret, you go up three lifts and ski down, and the skiing is quite mild (fairly easy blues, though these get busy in the afternoon). From Meribel itself it's more of a trek, and I would think tricky to get there and back again using only blues in one morning.

I would agree that Tignes is not that suitable for beginners/nervy intermediates. There's that wide bowl over the Fresse lift with greens, but I wouldn't really recommend Tignes - much as I love it - to people who aren't at least confident on blues and happy to dabble in reds.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you for your reply - it's very useful. The reason we can't go to Val Thorens is because Esprit don't have any chalets there. They do in Courchevel however so that is an option. Is skiing that far into the season too much of a risk? Prices dictate when we can go (Feb half term out of the question now I think) and we can't miss anymore school as the children are getting too old so Easter seems our only option. I also love skiing in the sun!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Definitely go high and stay in Mottaret.. Easy link to Courch or VT if really warm.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You could try Les Arcs 2000. We have stayed with Esprit there for several years at Easter time (Second week in April) and had a great time.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've been to Meribel several times for that week, and it's always been fantastic. Doesn't matter where you stay in Meribel they have lifts going up and up if the bottom slopes get slushy or thin - no problemo when I've been though, always been able to ski to Meribel 1450. So many options to gain altitude if you need to though.

I don't think that week is pushing your luck - 2 weeks later than that maybe though.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all! Will definitely look at the options suggested and it's good to know that people have enjoyably skied in Meribel that week too!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
While Mottaret is higher than Meribel, the Meribel green runs are at a similar altitude (1700 - 2000m) and are mostly North facing. There are also more of them and the Blachot is lovely and wide so in terms of green runs I would say Meribel is better. When you have finished skiing in that area you can easily take the Rhodus bubble back down again.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Courchevel 1850.

Higher, nicer, better.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy