Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What skis for next week?

Poster: A snowHead
Ok, so I'm going to Tignes next week and seem to have lucked out with the snow, assuming I can get to resort (hipflask -check, thermos - check, thermarest - check...).
I'm a reds and easier blacks 7 week skier, maybe 80Kgs and I'd normally hire a B2 or maybe a Dynastar 4800. Not sure how much I can tell the difference. The question is, given the comical amounts of new snow, should I go fatter? If so, what's the ski?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Go B3 at least, or maybe Dynastar 8000
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
try the 1080.......
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
michael stocking,

Well, it depends on the type of snow... There may be lots of it but what how will the weather between now and then change it...
If you are going to spend some time off piste mucking about then any of the 3 mentioned should do well

If the conditions are truly glorious anything around 80mm should be a blast
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
michael stocking, Try a different one each day (or on each foot)... you don't have to hire the same ski all week......so start with a B2.. and go fatter if it snows, and thinner if it doesn't...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ski, Agreed, but start with the B3. Little Angel
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm in a similar situation and trying to work out what to hire next week and was considering similar models.

My question is - how long a pair of skis should I hire? (I'm similar standard but weigh a bit more (90kg))

Any advice gratefully welcomed

I'll be in Switzerland (Davos) - Are these models likely to be available or will it be more Swiss/Austrian brands
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dasher, 175-180 if you are going for the powder, 170-175 if you're sticking to the piste.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Great advice - I was thinking of the B3 as the logical move. Thanks.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
dasher,

I found Dynastars in Andermatt but Switzerland is the home of Stockli so start on the XL and if the snow is great check out the Snake BC.... The normal Snake is a twin tip type and not as useful as the XL in my experience but if you do get that, then go longer than 180 for your weight. But if all else fails then a B3/8000 is a good place to start.

Others starters I'd look for would be the Volkl AC3....or the 8800/Snake BC is great soft snow...
Karma's get great reviews here
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JT

Thanks for the advice. I've now mailed the shop to ask what they've got - hopefully get a reply tomorrow.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
dasher, I skied this week in La Clusaz and started with B2 but thought they were far too narrow. B3 at 184cm were fantastic. They worked well on groomed piste and even on relatively hard snow. However, they were even better off piste which I did almost exclusively for two days. From hard wind packed to pure pleasure powder, they held on. I am 1.82 and 88kg, expert level. My instructor had last 05 B3s which now equal B4s. He was in heaven with them... Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Shop has now replied. They have Stockli and K2.

I have booked 3 days off piste(instruction/guiding) and with conditions looking good any last minute advice on ski choice from the above ranges

thanks
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dasher, with K2 I'd say Public Enemy, Apache Recon, and for the off-piste, Seth Vicious. Others know the Stockli range and can recommend from them.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
dasher, i'll be in val d'isere end of the month, so i would be curious to know how much the 3 days off-piste instruction/guiding will set you back? snow conditions permitting, i'd love to do that too...

cheers
latest report
dasher,

If the snow is perfect off-piste get a 80mm or plus ski...if the snow is in-between then the XL will not let you down as it is very versatile all over. Maybe day one start with the XL and get those turns going...and also size up the OP. XL's float fine but there will be better out and out powder skis... The Recon is like the XL so swapping between the two will not open up a new world IMV.
ski holidays
JT

The shop have offered to put aside some Stromriders. I've mailed to ask if they have anything wider but no response so it looks as if I'll start with the Stormriders and try and change if conditions merit it.

thanks to all for your suggestions - I've made a note of them to take with me in case the opportunity arises
snow conditions
GO LONG, GO BIG, GO FAST, BIG, BIG, BIG, BIG, BIG. Twisted Evil
snow report
dasher,

Sounds like a little ski test going on here,
Give us a review when you get back.

Looks like you may have the conditions to try all sorts... and if so I would try 80mmm waists in the deeper softer stuff as well
latest report
dasher, If you're doing off piste with all this wind and heavy snow I should think fat would be the thing to save embarassment on the windcrud. Seth Viscious???
ski holidays
Got another mail form the shop - now promised a selection of skis

Time to worry about other things now - like packing and actually getting there!
ski holidays
dasher, I think our main concern will now be getting to resort. Have a great trip.
snow conditions
Micheal

I've checked the weather forecast for that part of Switzerland and it doesn't look too bad so I'm confident I'll make it.

Hope you get to Tignes OK - Enjoy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy