Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort within driving distance of Zurich

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone have any recommendations for resort within max 1.5 hours of Zurich?
Ideally intermediate skiing, nightlife not important, good quality apartments.
Looking at Xmas / New Year for family snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
provenjohn, Cannot remember exactly how far the drive is but probably about 1.5 hours Flims has excellent intermediate is extensive and I really enjjoyed it several New Years ago.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kloster/Davos and Flims/Laax are about an hours and a bit drive. If you get your toe down.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Laax/Flims is 1.5 hours all on motorway. great are all you could wish for.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There's also Engelberg, not sure how long a drive it is. Flumserberg is probably the closest, but not very difficult.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Stayed in Engelberg in the Summer and it took us about an hour and half, but that was very cautious driving as it was the first time we had driven abroad.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Engelberg from Zurich airport is about 2 hrs by train but should be faster by car, I would think as the road only gets a few switchbacks right at the very very top...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Engelberg is 2.5 hrs from Baden so about 2hrs from Zurich. I think we used A-roads though as it was Easter and very busy...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sharkymark, hmm last time I went to Engelberg it took about an hour from just outside Zurich. I would reckon 1:15-1:30 from Zurich centre.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Shocked (rapidly thinks again)

I was thinking of Wengen...Engelberg took a lot less
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
provenjohn, Bit further south and further from Zurich not far from Chur you might check out Lenzerheide. Been there twice back in the 70's - really under-rated, but great ski-ing. Check out Lenzerheide piste map[/url]
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
www.michelin.com and put in Zurich Airport to whereever - normally you can do it faster
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks everyone, will do some research on suggestions this weekend snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
of the suggested resorts, do they all have similiar snow conditions at the moment, ie good! Maybe able to sneak a day in shortly somewhere close to Zurich!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
gregh, obviously no lack of snow anywhere at the moment. It's getting warmer through the week so some of the low local places will probably turn a bit spring like.

Weather:
http://www.sf.tv/sfmeteo/prognosen_ch_aussichten.php

Snow:
http://wispo.stnet.ch/requests/MySwitzerlandSearchRequest.jsp
snow conditions
cheers nessy,

Just realised I got my dates wrong, not going to be there until w/c 27th, so am looking for a recommendation of :

somewhere with a decent chance of good snow, and a very good variety of runs, inc decent blacks if possible. Not really any chance of off piste as I'm on my own, but if somewhere close by leaves some blacks un-pisted, so much the better!

I'm also after a recommended hotel for one night, will be touching down in Zurich 18:30, so assuming I leave by 19:00 will get to a resort, 20:30, hoping for a decent relaxing meal, glass of wine, off to bed and a decent ski the next day! Will need to hire skis as won't take my own for a one day trip! Somewhere that rented Stockl's would be nice Wink

Any tips/recommendations appreciated!

regards,

Greg
snow report
gregh, there are quite a few unpisted runs in Laxx / Flims, quite close to Zurich. We stayed at board rider palace http://www.riderspalace.ch/en You can stay for as many or few days as you want. Check in anytime and although they require you to check out by 11am you can leave you bags in a secure room downstairs where there is also a shower/towels for you to use before you leave at anytime during the day. They will also sort out your lift pass as well if you want. The place is extremely clean, modern & comfortable, with different types of rooms available and great prices. If you e-mail them your requirements they usually reply within an hour!!! Unfortunately they don't do any food there (except possibly a roll), but they have a great bar and tea/coffee machine. You can hire any kit you want from the bottom of the lift in Laxx.

The road is very good all the way there, we took the train and bus from Zurich and the journey was excellent - the Swiss journey planner was accurate to the minute and even told us which platforms for the trains!!!! snowHead

For eating out you could stop in Flims on the way through, which is 5-10 mins from Laxx, where there is a much greater variety of food options. Or you could eat in Laxx (although there are not many options there) at the hotel up in the main square/car park - the food was good! Then pop round the corner for a beer in the Crap bar.

If you need any more info...........just ask! Toofy Grin
latest report
gregh,
Flims/Laax is a good place, I have only skied it at the beginning of the season but I think quite a lot of it faces south so going late March the conditions may be very spring like.
You could think of Andermatt which has some excellent skiing. I stayed in the Zum Sternen a number of years ago basic but clean, comfortable with good food.
snow conditions
gregh,
Hotel Cathrin - Engelberg - is nice and 2 mins walk from the Stockli shop which is two minutes walk from the ski lift. You'd have to do the glacier and the Laub. The former is an easy route find for someone who is used to glacial terrain but the Laub isn't really a place for the lone skier. But if only there for a day then provided the whole area is open there are littles bits here and there that you could do and keep very amused without the glacier and the Laub. Use it as a taster and you'll be back for more.

Andermatt needs good snow cover and the best bits are over both sides into the valley which is not for the lone skier. Again, worth it for a taster but you need to want to explore here to be worthwhile. We stayed at the Auroa just over the road from the Gemstock but the high st is so small any hotel will do for the main lift. Plenty of people to match up with I'd have thought..
snow report
cheers guys, from looking at websites, Films/Laax seems to have the largest area and a decent amount of reds, anyone think heading there is a bad idea???
snow report
gregh, no, I've been twice and would go again (hint wink )
snow report
gregh, i really liked the area but our 5 days we had really flat light so couldn't fully enjoy it. I would go back but not until i sell a kidney or something as it was very expensive but as you'll have your own transport and only there for a day or 2 it wont matter too much. There was some fantastic gentle "off-piste" underneath one of the gondolas that we had a whole day of fun in, if i can work out which one i'll post it up here.
snow conditions
Just come home from Engelberg. It's heaven as they say. GREAT skiing and not too many tourists, yet.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy