Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Oakley Lenses for White out

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Just returned from a week skiing and looking to get some new goggles as currently mine are for bright days, i was wondering if anyone can recommend the best lenses from personal experiences?

I was looking at High Intensity Yellow Iridium

Thanks folks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Prizm Rose
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Or Hi Pink.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@jason.peter1986, ...just bought my fourth pair of Oakley Prizm Rose - two for me, two for the ValiasGrom. These have proved absolutely excellent in zero viz through to mixed sun. They are not OK for bright Spring days, when we move to Iridium Cat3s. The Roses are not the highest light transmission of the Prizm series (that’s the Pink lens) but I think that they rival the Hi Yellow for definition and visual acuity. They are I think the best combination lens for dec-march that I have ever used (and I have used a LOT) and what’s more, because they weirdly are low light transmission but high definition, I have had far less ‘red eye’ and eye strain than I have had at altitude previously.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Prizm Rose if versatility is needed

Prizm Hi-Pink if kept for dull/whiteout conditions.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I use Rose one - my experience is that it helps but in really bad whiteout days nothing did a miracle - I shift my main focus from normally looking very forward, to max couple of meters ahead. That gives some extra definition about terrain about to come.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
From another website:
“H.I. YELLOW
When the sun deserts you, don’t let it kill your vibe – snap on the H.I. Yellow instead. With 78% visual light transmission and a High Intensity Iridium coating to wring every last ounce of contrast out of what light you have, it'll keep the dream alive in the worst of conditions.

The Prizm H.I. Pink is obviously a solid choice too, and because it lets less light through overall, it's likely to give you more protection should things brighten up unexpectedly.”

I have the HI Yellow on my Canopies and tbh I’ve been very slightly disappointed with them in extreme flat light conditions.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi pink or Hi Yellow are the default low light lens go tos. Which is better for an individual seems to depend on how their brain works. No lens is infallible in a whiteout. If your eyes are shot then they are shot.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
http://www.zeegoggles.com/support/whitepapers/allaboutlenses.htm
Some good info here.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Depends upon your eyes. Yellow lenses don’t work for me; whereas High Pink are excellent.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I feel the pink/rose has probably more operational range, ie it'll cover lower light levels, and, extend further into brighter light level.

Which if it's a white out with higher sun ( you're skiing in cloud but sun is out above the cloud) raising the light levels, the pink is preferable. You could almost use a light rose as a general purpose lens unless it gets to clear bluebird days with no cloud to mitigate the sun.

If you've light levels that are lower, and, combined with white conditions, the yellow spectrum definitely holds the advantage.

In the most extreme poor vis and poor light levels combined the yellow takes it in my view.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@jason.peter1986, prizm hi pink, used them in all bad conditions, best low viz lens I’ve ever used, for last 3 seasons now. And last week I only skied off a 3m windlip into a deep hole once!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
For me, flat light is flat light and no lense is ever going to un-flatten it. I too use Prism Rose, but was disappointed when I got them and tried them in foggy conditions. I think there is a lot of hype surrounding them.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As an Oakley nut I've tried and got most Prizm lenses. For bright to overcast skiing any of the middle lenses (Jade/Sapphire/Scorch) work perfectly for me. Once the light fades or when snowing, I have a choice of Rose, Hi Pink or HI Yellow, and I have to say the HI Yellow is my go to lens, and was worn all day every day for a few snow days in Japan. I have yet to yet to find the conditions where Hi Pink or Rose have been my go to lens for long periods.

In a true "inside a pin-pong ball" whiteout, I don't think any lens will make a difference, as there has to be contrast for the lens to enhance.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kditrj2d wrote:
For me, flat light is flat light and no lense is ever going to un-flatten it. I too use Prism Rose, but was disappointed when I got them and tried them in foggy conditions. I think there is a lot of hype surrounding them.

This is true...and if you expect a magic bullet, then it doesn't exist. But imo what Prizm does, is give slightly more queues about the terrain in flat light than other lenses I have used - which gave no queues at all.
ski holidays
kditrj2d wrote:

That's because it's the wrong lens for those conditions. The Prism Rose is a very good all round lens but it's nowhere the performance in low/flat light as the Prism Hi Pink.
snow report
@spyderjon, +1
snow report
Darn it! I meant the pink lens! Doh! I have the pink lens for flat light and the jade for everthing else.
snow report

http://youtube.com/v/OeoUjq997uw
snow report
Im waiting for the Prism Hi Yellow ......

Trouble is its a long wait while they flog the others .
latest report
Hi guys, this info has been really useful, thanks. I was wondering if anyone knows of a cheaper alternative to the Oakley low-light lenses? It's against my personal code to shell out for brand names NehNeh
ski holidays
If you want to save some $$$ go for the persimmon. I use prism black iridium (cause they're cool), prizm iridium (cause they're the best) and i had stock persimmon which are amazing in complete whiteout..it's just that they also sell the pricey hi this and hi that to make some money.

It also depends on a person. So buy a cheap one, see if it works for you.

I'm ok with persimmon, but my girlfriend can't use them and got the hi pink.
snow conditions
@Human_Condition, they're all going to be "brands", especially if you want something good. Best idea is to look around for last year's model, end of lines, sales etc.
I'm a fan of the Smith blue or yellow Sensor Mirror lens for low light (though Oakley Prizm Rose works well at higher intensity light and in mist, in my experience), and there's usually some good deals on Google if you look. Maybe the same for other makes too.
ski holidays
@Human_Condition, I resisted buying branded goggles, trying various cheaper goggles instead. Nothing worked for me in flat light. I eventually gave in and bought some Oakley Prizm High Pinks. Work a treat for me; where yellow lenses didn’t. I got mine in the summer sales from https://www.igero.com/goggles-c8/snow-goggles-c9/oakley-m1/line-miner-t5120. I paid about £80. Worth shopping around in the off season, there are (relative) bargains to be had.
ski holidays
Thanks guys. I will consider paying more, but bear in mind this is a 1-2 week per year thing for me at the moment. Only two days on one holiday so far where bog standard goggles/sunglasses weren't enough. Also I've just bought my first pair of ski boots; got a good deal but I need to keep an eye on my bank balance.

Has anyone tried these? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bolle-Freeze-Ski-Snowboarding-Goggles-Black-Vermillon-CAT-2-21797-/332830032832?hash=item4d7e3743c0
snow conditions
@Human_Condition, Like you, I only ski one week a year, (although I’m doing 2 next year). I therefore want to be sure that I maximise my enjoyment; even if the weather is poor with flat light. Hence buying the High Pinks.
snow report
Okay - so why Oakleys specifically, for example, rather than a reasonably priced photochromic pair? What features are worth the extra money?

https://www.glisshop.co.uk/goggles/scott/unlimited_ii_otg_black_grey_light_sensitive_bronze_chrome-137005.html
snow conditions
@Human_Condition, I can't comment on the goggles in your links as I don't think I've tried those particular goggles but I will say that when I lost my much loved Cebe goggles last year and had to look around, the Oakleys were a revelation. I had rather hoped that that wouldn't be the case as, like you, I tend to shy away from 'brands' where I fear that I am paying for the name rather than quality. I decided they were worth the extra cost and after a season wearing them I am comfortable they were a good decision; a decent pair of goggles can make a big difference.

I now have two pairs of similar goggles with different lenses - Prizm Rose for poor light and Iridium Torch for good light. I have the 'Canopy' style as they are designed for wearing over spectacles. If I was to have only one pair, I would go for the Prizm Rose as I don't really have a problem with bright light. I imagine others might feel differently.

All the top brands will have their supporters and you can't beat simply trying them in (and outside) a shop yourself.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Human_Condition wrote:
Okay - so why Oakleys specifically, for example, rather than a reasonably priced photochromic pair? What features are worth the extra money?

Nothing more than the result of lots of research and reading the reviews of people who have tried them. I’m no expert, but I don’t think it’s simply a case of the goggles being darker or lighter. Some people swear by pale yellow lenses for flat light. I tried them and they didn’t work for me, whereas the Prizm High Pinks work a treat. The Prizm technology, whatever the heck that is, apparently makes the available detail pop. I wear mine on bright sunny days a well, so when I suddenly ski into a tree lined section of piste which is in shadow, I don’t have to lift my goggles off. But that’s just me. Some people would find them far to bright in sunny conditions. Everyones’s eyes re different.
latest report
The "Prizm " titling, although used in marketing context, appears to reference the means of imparting colour selectivity into the lens used.

Conventional dyed plastics (traditional yellow lens a good example) use the dye set to absorb the blue light so that you only see the non blue component as a viewer, rough and simply put. Looking from inside or outside they look yellow and you can see both ways through them.

The Prizm, chromic etc work more like a Prizm in that they split the light (as in dark side of the moon album artwork) or deflect the component not needed. In case of yellow, they often look blue to the non wearer as the blue component is bounced back from where it came, leaving only yellow passing to the person looking through the goggle.
This method uses a thinner, by a huge amount, coating to achieve the splitting of colours "chroma" with a resulting technical performance significantly above absorption materials. This results in much lower levels of light dispersion, improved image acuity, plus maintaining much closer to the original image contrast levels.
They will generally look much sharper and clearer to the user. You can see where they get the titling from in these methods, and they genuinely can out perform absorption lens types.

Saying all that, there are some serious profit margin in the big headline brands so often overstock can be moved out dead season without getting down to cost for the supply chain overall. low season stocks are going to be your biggest help here.
ski holidays
Thanks so much ski3 - it's so good to cut through the marketing BS and actually make sense of what they're trying to sell. I also appreciate the Floyd reference Very Happy

I took a look at the website you linked Awdbugga, and in the end got these: https://www.igero.com/goggles-c8/snow-goggles-c9/o-frame-2-0-xm-p25132?attribute[1]=1 for an extra 20% off the sale price, so well beneath my budget of £50. Two prizm lenses included. Other half will probably be getting the same, if not similar.

I might have to put masking tape around the strap though Laughing
ski holidays
[quote="Old Fartbag"]
kditrj2d wrote:
But imo what Prizm does, is give slightly more queues about the terrain in flat light than other lenses I have used - which gave no queues at all.

A lens that generates lift lines! You can keep it! Toofy Grin
latest report
Looks like you got a great deal Smile

I've always got goggles in the sales to keep the cost down too. Oakley A Frames suit my face and for low light the Hi Yellow really work for me. Although these days 95%+ of my skiing is done with a pair of Bolle photochromic goggles... again, some great sales on. https://www.glisshop.co.uk/accessories/goggles/brand/bolle/lens_technology/photochromic/
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy