Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is it me? My Skis? or the 8mm gap between my toe and the binding?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So towards the end of last season and through the start of this year I have been rather down on my skiing... nothing was working as expected and my skis just didn't seem to do what I thought they should be doing...

And so last Friday I was idling my way up a drag in Contamines and noticed that my boots seemed to be somewhat disengaged from my skis, as in, I could tilt side to side and the boot moved but the ski didn't. It looked like a bit of play in the boot-binding interface.

Cut to Friday and I'm dropping the skis off for a service pre a week holiday in Champoluc and I have a wee test in the garage.

Not just a wee bit of play.

Maybe about 8mm in the height adjustment, Shocked Shocked

Drop them in the shop and they agree.

So for a goodly number of weeks, I have been more or less unable to adequately set an edge.

No fricking wonder it wasn't working as expected.

Adjusted appropriately and out and about today - OMFG - what an enormous and not unexpected difference.

How did this happen?

We think that when the shop replaced the failed heel piece, they mounted for a standard Alpine boot sole ... but as my boots were slightly Frankensteined (sole ground down, Vibram replacements) the height was already wrong and wear over the season meant the non auto set Markers just were out of setting.

Phew.

I thought it was me.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
8mm is a huge amount, I'm surprised your boot wasn't just rattling in the binding and releasing at every opportunity. I think you are lucky not have a major stack.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I haven't done this for a long time but I'm sure I used make sure there was just the thickness of a credit card between the boot and the skid late.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@PowderAdict, indeed. I think forward pressure friction was stopping the rattling around.

But enormous difference.

I am led to believe that I m pretty well centred so not generally applying too much release like force.

But ... Shocked
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DrLawn wrote:
I haven't done this for a long time but I'm sure I used make sure there was just the thickness of a credit card between the boot and the skid late.

Industry standard is 0.5mm so business card not credit card. It's less on some bindings.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Cheers John, I'll use a business card in future, it was a long time ago.
Its strange how we can be so trusting of the technicians who adjust our skis.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@DrLawn, there is the odd credit card that will work - just send me the number off yours and I'll check Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I found I had to adjust the height at the toe of my salmon wardens as I could simply not get the toe to engage properly if there was the slightest amount of snow on the boot soles.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@spyderjon, didn't you use to recommend the Macdonalds coffee saver card??
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
kitenski wrote:
@spyderjon, didn't you use to recommend the Macdonalds coffee saver card??

I did as it was perfect. They changed it a few years ago but I've not measured the thickness of the new one.

There's a reason my business cards are 0.5mm thick! Cool
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
spyderjon wrote:
@DrLawn, there is the odd credit card that will work - just send me the number off yours and I'll check Madeye-Smiley

It wouldnonly work with those 3 digits found on thebback side
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy