Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

More help please folks.... 2020 vision....

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
After a fantastic week in Mayrhofen (great weather, free ski guide, glacier, apres) I'm planning next year's jaunt.
Requirements for my stylish, capable but lacking in confidence wife: nice wide blues to cruise - like the Ahorn slopes. She loved this area but it was a bit inconvenient as the rest us skied Penken / glacier and other areas and we couldn't do all this and meet up with her...

Ideal would be:
Lift / gondola up to let her ski down to a bowl with lots of blues
Lifts out of the bowl to reds / blacks (ideally on to something like the Sella Ronda) so I can ski back for lunch etc during the day
Great apres in the evening
Interesting village for when she wants a day off
Austria / Italy (not France)

From what I've read on here Corvara sounds pretty close but the apres is not that great - but then - there'll be at least 4 of us so we can make our own apres.

Help / advice much appreciated!

Many thanks

SM
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
if après ski is important then Austrian resorts tend to get more "likes" than Italian resorts. For non-skiing then obviously the larger the town the better. There is no perfect ski resort but if you want lively après, blues for the GF and reds+ for you and the Crew then I'd consider St Anton, Ischgl, Kitzbuhel, Saalbach and Zell am See. Probably in that order. All will fit the bill (i.e. a good week's skiing plus some partying) it's just a case of deciding which accommodation is best for lifts, proximity to town for eating and drinking etc. Am sure other readers will have favorites and horror stories but these 5 are good places to ski. I'd happily go back to all of them.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've not often seen St Anton recommended for unconfident skiers.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Corvara is pretty close to what you’re after but not perfect (is anywhere?). There are some lovely blues up around the Pralongia plateau on one side of Corvara and more over on the other side at Colfosco. You’re also on the Sella Ronda so there’s easily a weeks worth of interesting areas to explore. It’s a really good choice for groups of different skiing levels.

Night life in Corvara is mostly quite. The only lively place I can think of would be L’Murin.

I’d say Corvara is a nice enough village but it’s quite small and not that interesting for a day off to explore. You’ve probably seen it after an hour or so of walking around.

It is Italy though so it comes with great food, a nice ambience and welcoming people. The Dolomites are stunning and the weather is often fantastic for being outside in the mountains.

The only other thing to be aware of is that the dolomites are one of the sunniest and driest ski resorts in the alps so there is a risk of relatively little fresh snow and not great off piste skiing. This can all change if one of the winter storms come through and they do have some of the best snow making systems anywhere so there’s usually great on piste skiing whatever happens.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 15-03-19 10:34; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
True and particularly true at peak weeks when the slopes can get very crowded and the wannabes ski way too fast in the slow/blue areas.
StAnton usually gets recommended for the more challenging skiing but there are also some blues to pootle about and the group can decide each day which zone to ski in order to meet up for lunch. This seemed important to OP. Of course StAnton après has a consistent reputation and as the town has got more trendy there are lots more shops etc for the non-ski days.
In contrast somewhere like Cervinia would be great skiing for the GF but a lot of effort for the 3 others to get over to Zermatt and back for a great Italian mountain lunch together. Cervinia après? Not renowned for that... In Austria Obergurgl has the skiing for that group, picturesque mountain setting and restaurants plus some of the usual Austrian après but it's a small village with not much to do other than ski.

Not clear exactly how much skiing the GF wants to do; hours on slopes per day, distance covered, amount of time skiing with the rest of the group, meet for lunch every day, so difficult to say which resort is the overall best fit. No resort is perfect, there is always going to be a trade-off. My original 5 were towns big enough to have a similar Mayrhofen après vibe plus varied skiing in close proximity. I'm sure other readers will tell of other resorts where they have had a great time. Sometimes it's easy to get a little bewildered by choice. Puzzled
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks folks.

I think it's going to be Corvara as it ticks most of the boxes, well, all of the boxes just the apes box gets a little tick...

The abundance of blues gets a big tick, which will make my life a lot easier!

Any Corvara regulars who can recommend some decent hotels, or even some nice s/c accommodation? Might think about a diy adventure next year!

Thanks again!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The Hotel Table is very nice but not cheap. We've stayed there four years in a row so it's fair to assume we do like it.

For a short break from the 23rd March we're staying at the Hotel Villa Eden so can report back on that in a couple of weeks.

We did look at self catering for this year but decided against it in the end. Residence Vallon did well in my searches and would have been my first choice for SC. It's just outside the town and only a 5-10 minute walk to the Boe gondola where we tend to keep our skis and boots in a locker.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Madonna di Campiglio?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Obertauern?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy