Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Carving ski length

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I recently hired a pair of Salomon Streetracer 10 and loved them. I would like to buy a pair. My question relates to the ideal length for me.
I am aged 50, I have skied for donkeys years. I am a neat, medium-pace, on-piste skier. I don't venture off-piste much. I am 5ft 10ins and 12st 10lbs (83kg).
I was given 170s in the hire shop which were good. From the internet reviews I have read, they suggest that 165 is the right size for me.
How do you work out the ideal size of a carving ski?
Are there advantages to the slightly shorter ski eg in moguls?
Mick
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi penster, the main advantage of going shorter is making the turns easier. In terms of what length to go for, it's no longer the exact science that it used to be (i.e. reach your hand above your head as high as possible...), now I would suggest that given you are not overweight (or under), that somewhere between your chin and nose would be OK.
I'd suggest you go for the 165s, but others may say the 170s.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
penster, I'm very similar in build to you and use a pair of slalom skis at 165. In all honesty you could even drop to 160 if you liked. Are you able to try out skis before you buy them?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
hi there,

i'm in a similar predicament as penster here... my old dynastar are worn out, so i need to buy something new. the dynastars were 178, me being 182 and about 88kg (makes me a little overweight i guess).
last week i tried a pair of 06/07 m2tron b5-m11 with a length of 172cm. i quite liked them (besides their weight on my shoulders...) and was wondering if i probably should go for the even shorter (164) ones though???

i'm sort of advanced intermediate, do all pistes but only little off-piste (so far). fast is good and i really like moguls, but still learning...

any advice from a snowhead in the know?

icke
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have always skied 165cms up to recently I am the same weight but a little shorter than you penster .
Now I ski 170cms because I was told to go 5cms longer once you are an advanced intermidiate and it seems to work for me.
The last time I used 165's I found them a bit "flappy" at speed, I get more control out the 170cms at speed but do not notice the extra length at slower speeds.

Hi & welcome to Snowheads penster, icke
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
hi nick,

my old dynastar (178) got a bit wobbly at speed which the (shorter) metrons don't do. i guess the weight and general build of the metron is responsible for that extra stability?

just looked @ u'r pic's: i was in lake louise (banff) january 05 and just came back from hintertux/mayrhofen a few days ago...

cheers,
icke
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
icke, welcome to snowHeads snowHead . Atomic generally recommend that Metrons are skied shorter than other skis - you can see Atomic's sizing chart here.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thanks alastair,

with 1315, i'm right in the middle between 172 and 162... Confused
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
icke, Atomic say that if you're a 'tweeny' you should go to the shorter length. I recommend that when using the Metron chart to check your lengths using both the short turn & medium turn preferences which usually select the same length ski. It's usually only when the long turn preference is selected that the chart selects a longer ski. Metrons are turney skis designed to be skied short so if your preference is for long turns then Metrons probably aren't the best choice.

I haven't skied the new b5-M11 (15m radius?) but the 170 should dead be right for you. If you liked that ski then you should demo the b5 (11m radius) in 162.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy