Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

And another insurance query.. about off piste cover

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Am I right in thinking that if the insurance you can buy with the lift pass says it covers off piste, that will cover rescue from an off piste area should it be necessary. Then a standard (piste) ski travel insurance policy will cover the medical side without having to get into the depths of what counts as off piste, is it with a guide or not, etc?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@karin, nope. if you are injured off piste and are not covered for off piste with your standard insurance they won't touch it. I believe that Carte (or carre ) neige covers more than just rescue - do a search here or look at the small print.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bother!
So the piste rescue bit is pretty pointless if you aren't French, because if you've got travel insurance that will cover the medical costs from an off piste accident, it will also cover the rescue costs.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@karin, it depends..does your travel insurance cover e.g. heli evac?. As I say there is more cover than just rescue....read the actual cover details. I don't want to say categorically because I don't use it so my knowledge is a bit limited in the detail. I have sufficient standard insurance for my needs but when i did do a bit of off piste I made sure my insurance covered it. I am no great advocate of double insuring and you might find that carte neige covers what you need
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Austrian Alpine club insurance covers rescue and some medical for skiing plus most other leisure activities worldwide up to 6000m, more than enough for any off piste trip, with or without a guide, in the alps. Single membership is about 50 pounds a year family 90. There are numerous threads here on the subject.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I was at Val last week and it seemed to me that there was a much greater area skied off-site piste than on. I've had AAC cover for years but wonder how many are covered if they have a Schumacher type accident
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sorted. Insurance was with Fogg, so i called them. I'm not covered for the medical costs of an off piste accident unless I've got off piste cover; HOWEVER their definition of on piste is interesting -
'Piste skiing, including skiing on areas in and around the resort, but off the actual marked pistes, such as skiing on a hillside between marked pistes, or skiing down slopes adjacent to marked runs, but always finishing at the bottom of tows or lifts within the resort and never in areas cordoned off or restricted. All other areas are considered as ‘off piste’.'
So that covers the kind of off piste I'm likely to do! And the person I spoke to actually went off and confirmed the interpretation with the general manager.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
HolidaySafe and LeisureGuard both offer a specific off-piste cover (with and without a guide) if you choose the right level of special activities.
I'd also like to add a warning about the cover offered with the lift pass.

We recently took out SnowRisk insurance when buying our passes in Porte du Soleil (Morzine/Avoriaz/Chatel etc) and my wife was unfortunate enough to have an accident requiring a helicopter transfer from Chatel to Morzine. We showed the insurance receipt to the pisteur and they made a note of it. We weren't asked for any money at the time so we thought they must claim directly. (Previously a friend has had to show his credit card before they got him out of the ambulance). About 10 days later we received a bill from Chatel for around 1000€. I then went online to check the SnowRisk cover and found that they have an 8 day time limitation for notifying them of a claim and so far they have rejected our claim on this basis ! If anyone else has had a similar experience and managed to get them to change their minds I'd be interested to know. Do they have an insurance ombudsman in France ? Beware !
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
there are lots of posts about this.

Resort insurance varies by country.

Carre Neige is not the same as Carte Neige (the clue is in them having different names)

UK insurer definitions of on / off piste vary.

Have a look at MPI- they are very good.

Or Carte Neige for ski accidents / rescue plus soe other insurance for travel / sickness / non ski insurance

Or Carte Neige plus EHIC.

EHICs useful.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@ed123, but@adrian.mercer@btinternet. makes a good point about informing insurers in good time...don't assume you won't be making a claim
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy