Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help! First pair of Skis. Bindings don't fit boot.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

I'm excited to have purchased my first set of skis but I am having difficulty adjusting the bindings with my boots. I realize I should take them to a tech but I wont be able to do it until the end of the month and I only have 2 weeks to make any exchanges on the skis/bindings. I need to know if I am setting them wrong or my bindings were inappropriately installed.

My set of boots are Salomon Quest Access Custom Heat Ski Boots 27.5/ BSL is 318

My skis are 2017-18 Elan Amphibio 84 Ti 176 cm Skis with Axium 120 Bindings

I adjusted the bindings to the BSL of 318 and you can see right away (from the photo) that the boot wont fit in, it is short by 1.5".

I ended up setting them up to Toe 328-340 and Heal 348 and this allowed the boot to fit but at a different settings.
I recreated the same thing with a different ski boot at 308 mm and still had the same issue.

What am I doing wrong?

I would appreciate it if you could guide me and give me some feedback.

Thank you for your assistance,

Carlos R.

Bindings set at the correct BSL

https://www.pugski.com/attachments/20190311_233333-jpg.68206/

[url=https://www.pugski.com/attachments/20190311_233333-jpg.68206/][/url]

Bindings set at a greater BSL in order to fit the boot.
https://www.pugski.com/attachments/20190311_232828-jpg.68204/

https://www.pugski.com/attachments/20190311_232815-jpg.68205/
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I’m no expert and someone with more knowledge will come along soon.

Are you stepping in with your boots on your feet or just trying with your lock the boots in with your hands?

And welcome to SnowHeads
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looks like you have Rossi demo bindings. Didn't the store set them up when you bought them?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Demo bindings are not an exact science. The numbers don't always match. What is important is that the forward pressure is set correctly when the boot is installed. If you haven't done so already, have a look for a manual online for that binding and read the section on setting forward pressure.

If you're not totally sure, take them to a shop when you get chance, but if you read the manual you should be able to satisfy yourself that they've been set up correctly. It is useful anyway to know how to change the size on this type of binding in case you change your boots or want to lend the skis to a friend.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi @CarlosR2004;

In case you didn't know, to mark the forward pressure of the binding onto the boot is correct, there is a forward pressure indicator which depending on the make and type, will usually either have some kind of mark or a groove in it, or it will have a change of colour, or will show a void, which needs to end up showing in the correct position in the 'window' located in the rear part of the binding when the boot is finally snapped in. There may be some kind of groove showing in your second photo, but it's hard to tell. You need to check that.

It is difficult to tell from the second photo whether the forward pressure indicator is showing, as it should, that the binding is exerting the correct pressure when your boot is snapped in, and therefore whether the rear binding is set correctly. If the boot goes in too easily, it is probably wrong anyway.

From the first photo, it is not possible to tell whether the position of the binding is right or wrong. When set correctly, the heel of the boot may be quite difficult to snap in, even with your full weight, especially when everything is new, and there is lots of friction.

If you are determined to do this yourself and at your own risk, you could search for a Youtube demo on how to adjust your particular bindings correctly, or you could search for the manufacturer's manual. Either way, it would look like you would need to do some more research, since your setup doesn't seem right at the moment. Or else go to a shop and have the skis checked out/adjusted?

An expert will along soon I'm sure, but I wonder if maybe there is the possibility that the binding rails have been drilled and mounted in the wrong position on the skis, or the rails and bindings are mismatched? Maybe that's why you are getting this unusual problem? Were the skis astonishingly cheap?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
When you adjust the bindings so the boot fits in, where does the center mark on your boot line up with respect to the centre mark on your ski (is it on centre, -2cm back etc)?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@CarlosR2004, would probably help if you read the instructions. There's this very helpful site called "Google" for that sort of thing.

Anyway. Here. https://www.wsco.ca/tech_info/bindingtechmanual0708.pdf

You want page 31.

These are rental bindings and the idea being that the gross movements give you the general setting and then you fine tune with the screw at the back.

They are also probs about 11 years old. In North America and certain retailers elsewhere you would need to sign a waiver to have them adjusted/serviced/etc.

Just saying...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@CarlosR2004, As long as the forward pressure is set correctly as described above its fine, whoever fitted the bindings squeezed the jig setting, there is a standard boot size sole setting on the fitting jig for fitting rental bindings and they just made it smaller or did them freehand resulting in it being smaller. That is done sometimes deliberately if you have a small boot and want to move you boot centre around on the ski, gives you more space available for moving backwards and forwards, and on the pictures you do have a range of marks on the sidewall.

so just get the forward pressure right and basically ignore the boot size settings on the binding, check boot centre lines up with mark on ski as above and move forward or back depending on what you want, you can play around with boot centre position if you don't like how they ski, as long as the forward pressure is correct.

@under a new name, there is no fine adjustment screw at the back, forward pressure is set by moving the heel, lift the lever at the back and just moving the heel, my daughter has a pair of these on her rockhoppers and that binding is still being sold, so assume it is still indemnified.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Set the toe so the boot centre line and the ski centre line, line up. Move the back binding to the boot.
Make sure the forward presure is correct. Most likely a little window on the side of the rear binding, should show a line not solid yellow or black.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@legue, ok, screw. lever, whichever. I don't have a set in front of me.

Good spot that they weren't mounted "correctly".
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@under a new name, not sure the bindings are 12 years old, Ski Bartlett had them as a 2016 model from a very quick Google search.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy