Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help please folks. Minibus hire ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My beloved Saab 9 5 estate is very poorly (diesel pump) and is unlikely to be fixed by 15th March for our trip to Flaine. It is always crammed with gear and a large top box. So thinking might have to hire. Can anyone recommend a good (value) company. Thinking maybe VW transporter.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Could try Kendal hire for London based.

Cost wise, something like VW Caddy 7 seater seems on average to be £150 less than full sized van based vehicles. We've seen a fair few of these used for ski transfer work out in France as they have quite a big load bay area that'll accept longer ski type items.

May be better for fuel and toll costs too, possible decent balance for you without using external luggage.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks, I will have a look.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@gsb, are you allowed to take U.K. hires abroad?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Markymark29 wrote:
@gsb, are you allowed to take U.K. hires abroad?

Most places yes, just a surcharge usually.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes, we hired a Transit to get a lot of stuff down to the Alps when we first bought our apartment. The hire firm (in Havant so no use to the OP) recommended one of their older vehicles because it had a big engine, and he thought it would be better for a long, fast, trip. It was so good to drive - commercial vehicles seem to have more supportive seats and I do enjoy looking down on cars. There were only two snags. It was too cold for it when we were set to return - had to leave the bonnet up in the sun for an hour before it would start. And one door had been damaged and resprayed so instead of Wessex Van Hire it read "sex Van Hire" the amusement of the French builders still on the site. rolling eyes Oh - and we had chains on sale or return and had to use them for the last few miles.....
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
And one door had been damaged and resprayed so instead of Wessex Van Hire it read "sex Van Hire" the amusement of the French builders still on the site. rolling eyes

Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Check toll costs, It cost a lot more than I expected to take my van across France +50% more as it was over 2m tall (check this height)
Ford Smax/Galaxy?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Maybe bump crossings to another time and find some cheap flights?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Good call @tangowaggon, those smax are huge inside.

Depending on number of people verses luggage, something like a VW Touran may be easily available at decent cost. Although shorter platform, you can individually fold each single seat in the second row, or remove each one. So if four people, you can remove centre seat for any long kit you have. Also generally have roof bars for box if needed.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for ideas, currently thinking of hiring a Skoda Superb estate. 5x luggage, 4 people, picking one up at Genev. 7 pairs of skis etc and self catering so you can see car gets pretty loaded.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We have a skoda's superb, this is a great car with amazing leg room for rear seat passengers, however the shoulder space for 3 adults on rear seat is limited.
If we have 5 in the car we need our ski box for skis,,

Good luck
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My old Saab 9 5 lives again I’m pleased to say, got it back yesterday. (Expensive,much more than the car is worth but the car is worth more to me with all the items changed/renewed over the years) It saves having to worry about, will my roof bars fit and getting snow chains for a rental car. I have accumulated 3 sets over the years but I doubt if any of them would fit.
Thanks for the rental ideas.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy