Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

October Glacier

Poster: A snowHead
Hi , does anyone have any recomendations to do some skiing in October.Presumably a glacier but looking for ideas. Thanks in advance
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hintertux if the weather is good. Some seasons you are better waiting till November, some you can get going in September, but normally October good.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Andy2809, as nozawaonsen said, Hintertux.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Zermatt.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've got a soft spot for Sölden in Austria, it's 2 glaciers linked together and they've both got their own character, accommodation is reasonably easy to find and getting around is pretty easy with the buses etc.

October sees the opening round of the world cup too, usually later in the month and it does have an impact on the availability of hotels etc. but I've managed to stay there at a reasonable price and go and watch (just don't bother skiing on the race days, it's just not worth it).

If you've got time, and if they're still doing it, they used to do a lift pass called white 5 or something which was valid from October until the end of the season on all 5 glaciers, so you could use it when you wanted.. I think it was for 10 days? (Stubai, Hintertux, Sölden, Pitztal & Kaunertal)

p.s. Sölden is a bonus if you want to do some skinning practice, you can get the bus up the glacier road, skin up one side, ski down for lunch, skin back up, ski down other side.. all for free!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The skiable European glaciers are almost all gone, so best to leave bookings for July to October until the last minute, when local conditions are known.

Zermatt and Hintertux have the most glacier left. But Saas Fee, Solden and Tignes can be good if enough snow falls.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Whitegold, when was the last time you were actually on a European glacier in autumn? I‘m asking because you seem to be fond of making statements based on no actual direct knowledge or experience and I‘m curious how many of the glaciers you mentioned you have actually been to recently? I should add that I am not questioning the content of what you are saying just wanting to get a sense of the sort of person you are? I‘m fully expecting you either to ignore this or else to reply with bluster and bombast by the way, but you never know.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My favourite was Hintertux, followed by Stubaital then Kaprun.

I didn't know they had melted though Sad
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all the reply. I'm actually bound to half term week so was thinking a little break somewhere. Are all of these places easy enough to get to? Ie nearby resorts etc? Never been to one before so a little in the dark. Tia
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Stubai. Short transfer from Innsbruck. It feels like such a bonus to be skiing in October. I remember seeing the US, Swiss and Austrian national teams training, which was inspiring. But I’ve no idea now how much has melted....
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DJAT wrote:
Stubai. Short transfer from Innsbruck. It feels like such a bonus to be skiing in October. I remember seeing the US, Swiss and Austrian national teams training, which was inspiring. But I’ve no idea now how much has melted....

Melted or not they can be near unskiable in october, or even closed as Tignes was initially this last autumn. The trend is not in their favour. I'd take Whitegold's advice and book nearer October if you can. It only takes one autumn storm to get them up and running and in that case anything that benefits from Mediterranean lows is your best bet as they care common in the autumn. Dachstein and Stelvio had snow at the start of Oct in 2018.

Tignes, start of October (the opened in rather marginal conditions on the 15th)

'tux mid october

and Stubai, same date

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 12-03-19 23:01; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Booking nearer the time does indeed makes sense, because some seasons you are better waiting till November, some you can get going in September, although for Hintertux normally October is good. Although not always.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sobering pictures, indeed.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DJAT wrote:
Sobering pictures, indeed.

and the last two were actually open! I've skied on icy snow in les Deux alpes in October and vowed "never again" but 'tux takes things to another level. I'd definitely get my edges sharpened.

As I said, one storm and things can change completely on a glacier. Hintertux was skiable a week later.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Saas fee last two October's has been excellent.
ski holidays
Just glancing back over last three seasons in 2016 I was on Hintertux in mid October, 2017 late September, 2018 early November. And on none of those trips did I encounter anything like the conditions in those photos (but I didn’t plan the trips till shortly before).
snow conditions
Wow, grim conditions there. OK I guess I'll leave booking until a bit closer to the time.
Is there plenty of runs open when the conditions ate skiable up there? Thanks
ski holidays
I went to Deux Alpes at the end of October once..... note Once.
Skiing ancient blue glacial ice is not skiing for someone like me, it is sliding down the fall line.

There were some years when conditions were good.....so I was told
snow report
Andy2809 wrote:
Wow, grim conditions there. OK I guess I'll leave booking until a bit closer to the time.

No, they are all very limited compared to when properly open. Think one or 2 short runs. Suspect you’ll be disappointed. It’s mainly people race training and kids. Save your trip for Dec onwards if you can when the resorts open properly. December (or even Nov) weekends can be great for early season powder if you can book last minute.
ski holidays
Hintertux is the only Austrian glacier still open year round. Have done it in August, September and October. All a complete waste of time.
Of course you can always get a dump and conditions will be fabulous, but chances are you will see conditions like in Davidov's pics.
There are better things to do in the Alps in summer.
latest report
Tignes opens in October
latest report
nozawaonsen wrote:
Just glancing back over last three seasons in 2016 I was on Hintertux in mid October, 2017 late September, 2018 early November. And on none of those trips did I encounter anything like the conditions in those photos (but I didn’t plan the trips till shortly before).

+1

I generally spend a fair bit of time at Stubai in the Autumn as my season pass runs all year so it's still 'free' skiing for me. I normally make it to the opening day, or within a few days of the opening day.

Some years are better than others with 30cm of powder in September; but conditions are fun more often than not. Autumn 2018 was the first in around 10 seasons where conditions looked bad enough to not bother.

Sept 21st 2017 for example: https://www.instagram.com/p/BZTIaowAOcF/
snow conditions
Stay in Cervinia and ski the Zermatt glacier.
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:
Andy2809 wrote:

No, they are all very limited compared to when properly open. Think one or 2 short runs. Suspect you’ll be disappointed. It’s mainly people race training and kids. Save your trip for Dec onwards if you can when the resorts open properly. December (or even Nov) weekends can be great for early season powder if you can book last minute.

Obviously not gonna disagree that December would be better, but most years Stubai will be at least 50% open by the end of Oct and pretty much fully open by end of Nov.

If the OP can push it back just one month to November that would open up non-glacial options like Obergurgl (opens mid-Nov) and Ischgl (generally opens last week of Nov).

Deciding/booking last minute is def the best option - whatever time of year.
latest report
@BobinCH, you can definitely get more than one or two short runs at Hintertux most years in November and often in October (September rarer). But I only really think it’s worth doing if you in a position to respond to take advantage of the weather at short notice.
snow conditions
BobinCH,

One or two short runs?

There will be 2000 feet vertical on offer as a minimum... rolling eyes
snow conditions
Thing with glaciers is, that they are small. There is really not more then 2 or 3 runs on most of them, and most of time there's 10 race courses set on each of them. Skiing in October, unless you really have to ski, is not really something I would recommend. But if sliding down 15m wide corridor on side of race track and queuing for hour on bottom gondola station is your thing, then certainly go for it Wink
ski holidays
primoz

Sorry - but in 15 October half term glacier ski trips (Hintertux, Pitztal, Kaunertal, Oetztal and Stubai) we have NEVER encountered the conditions you describe.

To advise skiers not to go is ridiculous Sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Bergmeister, I agree.

For sure if you want the 8:00 gondola up at say Hintertux, there is a scrum of racers and bags and poles etc, but if you wait half an hour you have it to yourself.
latest report
@Bergmeister I have spent whole bunch of time up on glaciers when still racing, so I know how it normally is, but I didn't say not to go. I just think paying quite a lot of money for basically no skiing is not something I would recommend, but if someone think that's cool thing to do, then, as I wrote, certainly go for it.
snow conditions
@primoz, except I’ve been to Hintertux in autumn plenty of times and never had the conditions you are describing.
snow conditions
nozawaonsen wrote:
@primoz, except I’ve been to Hintertux in autumn plenty of times and never had the conditions you are describing.

sounds more like Les Deux Alpes, hours to get a ticket, hours of queuing to get up, a flat as a pancake glacier with racers everywhere, then hours to get back down. Basically a good ski, ruined. Happy.

It is supposed to be the biggest glacier in Europe too.

Thank climate change it doesn't open in the autumn anymore.
latest report
@nozawaonsen, @Bergmeister, yes sorry that was Based on Saas Fee, where the snow was great a few October’s ago but loads of people crammed onto a couple of long wait drags for a few hundred meters of piste. Have also skied Tignes and Zermatt and the glacier alone would be a totally different (disappointing) experience to skiing those resorts in Winter. Maybe Hintertux is different...
snow conditions
@BobinCH, it’s certainly no comparison to skiing in main winter season, but sounds to me like it’s a lot better (when conditions are reasonable) than a number of other glaciers. Keeps me happy pre season anyway.
snow conditions
@Andy2809, have you considered an indoor slope, such as Landgraaf? Hotel on site and guaranteed snow!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy