Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Insurance conundrum

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Trying to renew my annual insurance and have hit a bit of a wall. I've just had a very frustrating webchat with an agent but am still no wiser. The policy states they will cover "skiing" but not "downhill skiing" (but will cover off piste without a guide and cat skiing!). The agent was convinced skiing and downhill skiing were different. What is the difference or is there no difference - I've had a quick google and they seem to be the same? In which case I will need to look elsewhere for insurance as I will be skiing downhill and need to be covered as this looks like a loophole that could mean an expensive bill in the event of an accident. Shame as insurance looks otherwise very good.

Anyone got any good insurance recommendations for skiing without unusual exclusions. I will be skiing down hill in the usual way on pistes and may play at the side of the piste (hence need for off piste cover without a guide) but no serious off piste. It is a DIY trip so need good cancellation/delay cover.

Many thanks and apologies if this is a silly question but I'm really confused now as to whether both terms mean the same or not!

Definition of downhill skiing according to insurer - Downhill is an alpine skiing discipline. The rules for the Downhill were originally developed by Sir Arnold Lunn for the 1921 British National Ski Championships. "Downhill skiing" is a commonly used term that is synonymous with "alpine skiing" to denote the sport and recreational activity of alpine skiing.

The Downhill discipline involves the highest speeds and therefore the greatest risks of all the alpine events.

Definition of skiing according to insurer - The definition of Skiing is: the action of travelling over snow on skis, especially as a sport or recreation.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My thoughts would be that 'downhill' refers to the racing version of skiing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
albob wrote:
My thoughts would be that 'downhill' refers to the racing version of skiing

That's the only explanation I can think of too.

OP - would you be able to post the webchat? Suitably edited to remove personal details, of course.
Also which insurer? Might be of use to other snowHeads as one to avoid. Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for replies. I initially thought racing too but this is mentioned separately under a different category so I don't this this is it. I will try to post webchat if I can work out how to anonymise it. Basically webchat said "skiing" was covered as long as it wasn't "downhill" or "alpine" and I didn't reach high speeds. A lot of subjectivity here hence why I am checking whether there is any specific definition or else I think I need to find a new insurer!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Get another policy, the term about not reaching high speeds is so nebulous that you have no idea if you will be covered. Is 10mph high speed? What about 11 etc...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
bastathecat wrote:
Thanks for replies. I initially thought racing too but this is mentioned separately under a different category so I don't this this is it. I will try to post webchat if I can work out how to anonymise it. Basically webchat said "skiing" was covered as long as it wasn't "downhill" or "alpine" and I didn't reach high speeds. A lot of subjectivity here hence why I am checking whether there is any specific definition or else I think I need to find a new insurer!

'Normal' skiing is alpine or downhill IMHO. Sounds like they're talking about x-country skiing.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@bastathecat, May I suggest you get another agent or rather insurance broker. This one appears to have no experience.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@bastathecat, Which company are you dealing with ??
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Take up snowboarding
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for all replies. The insurance is otherwise good so we called them and spoke to someone who understood the query. It turns out that the info on the website is wrong (where the clear distinction between "downhill skiing" and "skiing" is made and this website info is what caused the confusion) but that the actual policy documents make no such distinction and just refer to the term "skiing" which is much more easy to understand! The policy document is the legal bit and what we will be bound to rather than the definitions on their website. Phone operator says website info will be updated so that others are not as baffled as we were. Would have been useful if the webchat operator had told me this . . .

So we will go ahead given that the cover otherwise meets our needs. It is Insure and go.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Go for someone else. It's bad enough that companies offload their claims handling to minimum-payout subcontractors let alone having any ambiguity around the original policy. If you've had this problem trying to renew, imagine the conversation with a hostile, claims management subcontractor if you make a claim.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy