Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cheaper alternative to Kastle FX85

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I’m new here and have a question I hope more knowledgeable folk can answer.

I’ve been skiing about 4 years and have been 8 times now in total. I’ve finally decided to push the boat and and buy my own skis, as I’m sick of the inconsistency of hire skis.

I was in La Plagne last year and managed to bag some Kastle FX85 skis, as my hire set for the week.

I really liked them, and seemed to get on well with them. Trouble is the price, nearly £650 if I buy online.

Is there a cheaper alternative out there that will give me the same sort of ski (width, ride etc.) but without spending that sort of money?

Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
blizzard brahma is a great ski in the same vein , or try and source some of the 2017/18 fx 84 which were amazing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@MrNero50, What type of skiing do you do?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Buy second hand? I've done that in the past, let someone else take the big depreciation hit.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Possibly Rossignol Experience 88 (not quite as damp as the Brahma, so a bit more playful and easier to use).

As was said above - it may depend on what type of skiing you do (as well as your weight and speed you ski at). The older model was also a great ski and can usually be found cheaper.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
They are £540 at Ekosport with bindings.

How much do you want to spend?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ok, to answer some of the questions:

I’m around 90kg and 5’11”.

I predominantly ski on piste but want to progress to off piste.

I suppose my biggest thing is as I came late to skiing (learnt 4 yrs ago at 36) I prefer the feel of a wider ski as they seemed to give me confidence.

As for how much I want to spend, As little as possible, as I can see that on a few years my skiing may have changed. So around £300 ish is where I am in my head.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There were plenty of bargain Kastle skis this Autumn, I don't know if they were having a clear out. Keep an eye out on privatesportshop, a sort of French Sportpursuit.

But i don't think you'll get a new pair of Kastles for £300 incl bindings
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I bought these for my son before Christmas.

They have rail bindings so easy to sell on if you don't get on with them or want to upgrade in couple of years.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
MrNero50 wrote:
Ok, to answer some of the questions:

I’m around 90kg and 5’11”.

I suppose my biggest thing is as I came late to skiing (learnt 4 yrs ago at 36) I prefer the feel of a wider ski as they seemed to give me confidence.

As for how much I want to spend, As little as possible, as I can see that on a few years my skiing may have changed. So around £300 ish is where I am in my head.

Your budget will dictate what's available. For example, Glisshop has the following possibilities:

Nordica Enforcer 93......£334.80

Dynastar Legend X88...£334.80 (Top performer in SCGB All Mountain section...so probably my pick)

Head Monster 88.........£334.80

I like and use Scott The Ski, which falls into your budget @£275.10, but is a much more playful, but less damp ski than the Kastle....and I weigh 65kg.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 14-02-19 17:21; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I purchased Decathlon wedze 700 boost skis new for £200. Really impressed with them. At that price they have paid for themselves after 2 weeks hire.

IMHO, exact same as my old Salomon xscreams. Great intermediate ski.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
2019 K2 Pinnacle 88 ti. Gets great reviews for carving ability. Easy to turn, nicely damped at high speed and brilliant in really chopped up snow. I love mine. The 170cm model (mine) has a radius of only 13.5m and the 177cm has 15m radius.

Available for a lot less than £650. £396 from Ekosport with bindings.

http://www.ekosport.co.uk/k2-pinnacle-88-ti-19-tyrolia-attack-11-gw-w-o-brake-19-p-B00173420.html?lgw_code=9661-B00173420&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-sKE-c274AIV4ZXtCh3lpg7dEAQYBCABEgIXNvD_BwE
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Why?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks everyone some interesting options. I’ll look in more detail at the Blizzard Brahma and Dynastar Legends.

Has anyone an opinion on the Atomic Vantage 86?

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 14-02-19 18:58; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
MrNero50 wrote:
Thanks everyone some interesting options. I’ll look in more detail at the Blizzard Brahma and Dynastar Legends.

Has anyone an opinion on the Aromic Vantage 86?

The Brahama is a hard charging ski, but tougher to use at slower speeds and is likely to be less forgiving than the Dynastar for getting to grips with Off Piste.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
Quote:

Why?

Why not? As a mountain biker there is an appeal to the untouched snow. I also want to go ski, in Japan where ability to ski deep powder is a required skill set, that cannot be learned from staying on groomer pistes.
ski holidays
MrNero50 wrote:

They stink!
snow report
With your stats and intension to venture on non-pisted snow, I'd look more at the FX 95 field of ski as something to grow into skill wise.

Has been superceded by 96 I think, so could be something NOS examples at good cost.
snow conditions
MrNero50 wrote:
... I also want to go ski, in Japan ...

Me too, but anything less than 100mm won't do it justice.
snow conditions
AL9000 wrote:
MrNero50 wrote:

They stink!

Touche, I didn’t spot that autocorrect error!
ski holidays
ski3 wrote:
With your stats and intension to venture on non-pisted snow, I'd look more at the FX 95 field of ski as something to grow into skill wise.

Has been superceded by 96 I think, so could be something NOS examples at good cost.

Funny, you should say that. It was a debate I was having in my head. Would a ski, to grow into be a better idea.

Thanks, an interesting point and one I’m now going to have to give some thought to.
snow report
MrNero50 wrote:

Would a ski, to grow into be a better idea.

That depends.

Confidence has a huge influence on one's skiing. If the ski is initially too much to handle, it can undermine confidence and do the opposite of what you hope.....and that is impossible for others to judge.

The secret IME. Is to get a ski that is forgiving, yet has a lot of headroom, that will boost confidence at your current level, yet "grow" with you, as you improve.
snow report
Old Fartbag wrote:
MrNero50 wrote:

Would a ski, to grow into be a better idea.

That depends.

Confidence has a huge influence on one's skiing. If the ski is initially too much to handle, it can undermine confidence and do the opposite of what you hope.....and that is impossible for others to judge.

The secret IME. Is to get a ski that is forgiving, yet has a lot of headroom, that will boost confidence at your current level, yet "grow" with you, as you improve.

Sage advice and I appreciate the input. I think your point about confidence is very valid. I felt confident on the Kastle skis and felt like I skied the best I ever have. Part of the reason I’m so taken by them. Just not the price, as I’m worried I’d fork the money out, then potentially out grow them skill wise. Hence wondering if there is any cheaper equivalent options out there.
ski holidays
MrNero50 wrote:

Sage advice and I appreciate the input. I think your point about confidence is very valid. I felt confident on the Kastle skis and felt like I skied the best I ever have. Part of the reason I’m so taken by them. Just not the price, as I’m worried I’d fork the money out, then potentially out grow them skill wise. Hence wondering if there is any cheaper equivalent options out there.

The SCGB has tested a lot of the skis under discussion, including the Kastles....and I usually find their assessments reasonably accurate.

Here are some quotes:

Kastle FX85 HP - 2019 ****

Kastle have a reputation for building very high quality skis, the FX does not disappoint on that front. This is a ski that immediately feels like it has amazing contact with the snow, it’s like the feelings underfoot have just been switched onto HD quality! On the edge it has limitless grip and will drive through any tricky conditions with absolute impunity. The flex is incredibly smooth and the overall quality just keeps shining through on each turn. This is a direct, powerful ski that feels perfectly suited to skiing the hardpack, it feels more like a wide bodied piste ski than a true all mountain choice.

Dynastar Legend X88 **** (Top Performer)

The X88 performed really well last winter, this year we see no change, it’s still a fabulous ski! One of the real highlights of its performance is the super smooth flex which gives the skier a real sense of what is happening underfoot. It maintains really good ski/snow contact and feels really sensitive to inputs. On piste it really is brilliant, with very high levels of edge grip while feeling completely comfortable when punching out medium to long arcs. In deeper conditions away from the piste that smooth flex and progressive rocker allow it to float up nice and early while feeling very reactive and fun in all turn shapes.

Blizzard Brahma ***

The Brahma immediately feels like a powerful ski. It has huge reserves of edge grip and feels completely bombproof when pushed hard on groomed runs. Stability at high speed is faultless, this is a ski that will give any skier lots of confidence to really go for it and lay out some big, fast, arcs. The stiff tail really holds the arc and punches the skier out of the turn with a heavy dose of acceleration. This high performance makes it work well through variable conditions at high speed, but at slower speeds it feels less playful and a more physical ski to use. This is a great all mountain ski for powerful, confident skiers.
snow report
Thing is, you've already broached that particular question by skiing, and feeling comfortable on the 85.

One of the defining characteristics of these Kastle is that, although they are a high performing ski, they also seem to have a huge gateway/acceptance of skills required to use them. Such that they seem to stretch way down into earlier skill set and don't overwhelm you.

They appear to be accessible from fairly modest experience, but just don't drop the ball as you get more and more demanding of them. Unusual in the shere "bandwidth" they offer.

I know it seems unusual, but others on here appear to feel the same when using them. The FX95 that is.
snow conditions
Quote:

Why not? As a mountain biker there is an appeal to the untouched snow. I also want to go ski, in Japan where ability to ski deep powder is a required skill set, that cannot be learned from staying on groomer pistes.

Fair enough. I guess my point was leading from this somewhat ridiculous but prevalent belief that "off piste" is "better". Often it is much, much less pleasant than on piste. Plus, after 8 weeks, as you have recognised you will need to tool up in skills. But what I am led to believe about Japan, which is a fine objective, is that it's deep but very light, which means massively easier to ski.

On a "ski to grow into", well, at your stage of development (based on time spent), it'll either be a ski you grow into, or a ski you grow out of. I think I know what I'd prefer...
latest report
FWIW. Kastle vs Dynastar

- They both have big headroom
- The Kastle will be a little better on Piste, especially for short turns, as narrower
- The Dynastar will be a little easier to use generally...and be a bit more forgiving Off Piste
- The Dynastar is available for £334.80 vs £540 for the Kastle
- You know you like the Kastle....

Now you just need to decide what to do. Puzzled
snow report
Quote:
Is there a cheaper alternative out there that will give me the same sort of ski (width, ride etc.) but without spending that sort of money?

Quote:
The Dynastar is available for £334.80 vs £540 for the Kastle

When is your next trip - can you hire a pair of Legends?

I'd be tempted to just buy the Legends, look after them i.e., service them yourself or go somewhere that others know and go recommend and then if you think you should have bought the Kastles take the hit.

One question comes to mind, why are the Kastle's so darn expensive?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Layne, because, to paraphrase @ski3 above, they'll let you ski like a d1ck or like a god. (Ive only ever managed the former but hope springs eternal). The fx95 outperforms 10mm narrower skis for nimbleness on piste while the mx84 will be rock solid whatever speed you find yourself at. However I don't think any of them are particularly floaty, preferring to go through loose snow rather than on the surface.
snow report
@Riccardo, would definitely expect the latter at that price Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
@MrNero50, couple of points (ok, three) from a Kastle lover:

1/ There are two Kastle FX85's, an FX85 and an FX85HP (High Performance - same ski but with 2 layers of titanal so stiffer and better at speed). Which one did you try and in what length? I am going to assume that a hire shop would give you the 173cm but I don't know which one. IMO, the relative merits are:
- the FX85 is good for your level of experience and will last you until at least 20 weeks on snow.
- the FX85HP could* be a handful at 8 weeks but would last you until at least 40 weeks on snow, maybe forever depending on how your skills and preferred skiing style do or don't progress. But if they progress well, you will wish you had the 181cm by 40 weeks, probably sooner.

*depends on how much technical training/lessons you've had and whether you're trying to ski technically correct or just hooning about (the former is preferable).

2/ You should buy the 181cm at your stats whichever (FX85 or FX85HP) it is if you want a ski to grow into and especially for off-piste progression.

3/ Kastle are the Bentley of skis. If you want Bentley performance, you don't buy a Chrysler 300.
ski holidays
@Raceplate.

Very good guess, they were 173cm. They were the none HP version.

We always try and have a least, one lesson/technique reset every time we go away. This weeks lesson we were told we have good technique and just need to practice. Work towards skis closer together and using poles to turn. I’m definitely not a hooner. In fact there’s nothing worse than just going down the piste and hoping for the best.

The size advice has addded another dimension to it all.

Thank you.
latest report
@MrNero50, from what you've said, the FX85 in a 181cm would be an ideal development tool for you.

If you're not a hooner, the 20 weeks limit I mentioned earlier doesn't really apply as the main difference between the two is the stability at high speed. They'll still be rock solid up to at least 40mph. In the meantime, they will be much friendlier for learning a wider skill set than the HP version.
ski holidays
Raceplate wrote:
@MrNero50, from what you've said, the FX85 in a 181cm would be an ideal development tool for you.

If you're not a hooner, the 20 weeks limit I mentioned earlier doesn't really apply as the main difference between the two is the stability at high speed. They'll still be rock solid up to at least 40mph. In the meantime, they will be much friendlier for learning a wider skill set than the HP version.

Thank you for the advice
snow report
@MrNero50, unless you are going in the next two weeks, hang on until March, the sales should start kicking in then.....
snow report
Just seen these: https://www.glideslide.co.uk/15176/products/kastle-fx85-plus-k12-ct1-ex-demo-skis.aspx

Edit. Maybe an old offer.
latest report
Old Fartbag wrote:
Just seen these: https://www.glideslide.co.uk/15176/products/kastle-fx85-plus-k12-ct1-ex-demo-skis.aspx

Edit. Maybe an old offer.

And it doesn't say what length but I'd imagine 173. It's worth a call, my son picked up a bargain ex-demo pair of Rossis from there which weren't on their ski webpage. It's also worth a call because they know a fair bit about Kastles and could advise.

Their advice on whether to go HP or non-HP was that HP is simply a better ski. More expensive to build so more expensive to buy, no less forgiving at the intermediate end while offering more at the advanced end. Other opinions may vary, not done the direct comparison myself.
snow report
@Old Fartbag and @Riccardo, thanks they are actually only about 20 minutes from my house and where we got our ski boots from.

I may pop in on Sunday when I’m back from Val Thorens.
snow conditions
@MrNero50, https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=142064&highlight=
latest report
On sale on privatesportshop

Pack - All Mountain Skis - Men's - FX85 HP + Bindings - K13 ATTACK DEMO B85 white/black

£312

Only 157cm left. If you could only shrink a bit. But the may have other models in a bigger size
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy