Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best pram to for ski resort

Poster: A snowHead
Going on holiday in 2 weeks, our first time with new baby (4 months old) wondering if any one had advice/ experience on taking a baby and specifically advice on pram... I'm thinking of buying the mountain buggy swift, with the view of using this on other holidays we go on both ski and summer... or do I just buy a cheap stroller that most people get for holidays..? As £315 seems alot for a holiday pram. We will need to take baby about 300m a day to and from his nursery.
Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions on alternatives
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to SHs @Ski Sparrow. What sort of traveling around are you expecting to have to do with the baby? I'd be very reluctant to buy a conveyance only for use on holiday.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Stick him in a front pack?
I seem to remember just bunging ours in the stroller we used at home.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Probably just too and from the nursery and out for dinner one night. We tend to do at least 1 ski and 2 hot holidays a year so would use on them as well.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We had the mountain buggy as the only pram for our two.

It went to the alps both winter and summer and was brilliant for any conditions really. Even got a little video of skiing while pushing it in Avoriaz on the snow too.
We were staying in Morzine, it went to Les Gets and up in the cable car to Avoriaz.
Not the smallest but very stable and with sheepskin inside very warm and comfy too.

I'd certainly recommend it if you can transport it ok.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We often see standard three wheeler prams with a rented ski to go on the wheels and seem to work pretty well, might that not be an option and use your babies standard pram?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Where are you going....Will there actually be snow on the pavements?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for your replies! The standard one we have for at home is really bulky and in 2 parts so not really ideal for taking on an aeroplane.
We are going to La Rosiere, never been before so not sure what the snow will actually be like.
I know I'm probably really over thinking this but just nervous as it's our first time taking him away. X
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The Mountain Buggy should be fine, friends of ours have used one for their 2 kids here in Norway and we see a few around in our kindergarten.

We have used a Bugaboo Cameleon with the optional snow wheels (bigger wheels=better manoeuverability in snow/sand) for our 2 kids.

I would highly recommend you get a footmuff/sleeping bag to keep the baby warm. We have used a down filled one made by Voksi as kids here in Norway sleep outside down to -10C in kindergarten.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mountain Buggies are brilliant. We're saving ours for the next generation.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
musher wrote:
Mountain Buggies are brilliant. We're saving ours for the next generation.

Still got our 4-wheeled twin mountain buggy in the garage just in case any other relatives might need it. A very, very good bit of kit, the Volvo of buggies. I especially enjoyed the customer survey that came with it that enquired about the reasons for purchasing a mountain buggy & included 'Hunting' as one of the options. I imported directly from NZ & saved £500 on the John Lewis price.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I love my mountain buggy swift! Although haven’t taken it to a ski resort it’s always been very good on all other types of terrain! It is nice and compact and light weight, excellent build quality and they replaced the brake free of charge when the cable snapped. Picked up mine second hand for £200 and 3 years down the road and on to the second child it’s still going strong. The only slight negative is that it probably suits the shorter person, some of my family say it’s to low and there is not much adjustability in the handle height (though they may have updated the design).
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
caspriddy wrote:
I love my mountain buggy swift! Although haven’t taken it to a ski resort it’s always been very good on all other types of terrain! It is nice and compact and light weight, excellent build quality and they replaced the brake free of charge when the cable snapped. Picked up mine second hand for £200 and 3 years down the road and on to the second child it’s still going strong. The only slight negative is that it probably suits the shorter person, some of my family say it’s to low and there is not much adjustability in the handle height (though they may have updated the design).

Being 6'2" I did notice that they had an add-on handle for taller people which I considered although I didn't find I needed it with my long arms.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
When we were living in Les Gets for the winters our daughter managed to spend quite a bit of two maternity leaves with us, and in turn we were lucky to have some lovely (Brit) neighbours who kept a mountain buggy in their garage for grandchildren. We were able to let ourselves in and borrow it and I think our familyprobably used it as much as theirs, as also our son used in the summers too. It was brilliant and went everywhere and had at least two positions and was cosy. I also bought a second hand old school type buggy, for about 20 euros, and this was used a huge amount too, it had a bit of a canopy and also our daughter brought a little step thing which fitted on the back for the older child to have a bit of a lift.

They had one of those baby carriers worn on front or back and that was used a lot particularly when the babies were small.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Everybody I know with any sort of Mountain Buggy raves about them - but if you're flying why not just take the travel system you have? Airlines are honestly fine with big two-piece ones. If you can use the baby's car seat with it you could bring that instead of the top and then you have it to use on the transfer if it will fit. Little umbrella-fold pushchairs are terrible if there's snow on the ground and £300 is a lot to spend on a spare!
snow conditions
If you buy the mountain buggy, you will quickly find that it replaces everything else and you know long use your previous pram.
We had one for our two, and not only was it great on snow, it also stood up to the tests of our mixed livestock farm, which many others wouldn't.
latest report
We stayed at a Kinder Hotel in Austria for a few years and yet had a fleet of mountain buggies for guests to use as required to get the kids to the slopes. Both singles and doubles. They were excellent and have a big load carrying capacity. They are often seen chained up at the bottom on the base gondola.
ski holidays
Are you DIY or with a tour op? We've borrowed a big off road type buggy more than once when we needed to with our two with Esprit and for travelling around the airport etc we used a sling so didn't need to bother with taking our own buggy - could be worth asking the op?
ski holidays
Our son basically lived in a sling and the first years we were in Stockholm there was a lot of snow and ice around.
Sling/babybjörn, coat that can fit you+baby inside, antislip/studs for your shoes.
snow report
always29 wrote:
Are you DIY or with a tour op? We've borrowed a big off road type buggy more than once when we needed to with our two with Esprit and for travelling around the airport etc we used a sling so didn't need to bother with taking our own buggy - could be worth asking the op?

We are going with Esprit. I might see what they have available at our hotel then Very Happy
latest report
@Ski Sparrow, if you are going with Esprit I would definitely get in touch with them and see what they will have available for you to use.
snow conditions
Took my out n about nipper v4 to the snow last year and will again next week. Esprit had the double version in la plagne, we didn’t need their buggy but happily let us use the sledges when we wanted too
snow report
Another shout for the Out'n'About Nipper - we used it with our two, it was our main buggy. It's light so it's easy to travel with, folds up fairly compact and easily and it has the added benefit of being a buggy you can go running with so it's more than just a "holidays only" buggy, if that is the route you go down. Big wheels mean it works well on the snow.

One tip that I wish I knew from the start - buy a travel bag to put your baby/child buggy/car seat into - search for "buggy travel bag for airplane" or similar on Amazon. The buggys/car seats get absolutely man handled in the airports so this protects against scuff marks, bangs etc. It has the bonus of being another bag to chuck random bits into - blankets, extra clothes or whatever, just don't overdo it or you may be asked to remove the extra bits from the bag.
snow conditions
We used to use what we would affectionately refer to as 'pikey packs' those plastic reinforced zip-up bags you find in plastic box shops which are usually some bizarre faux tartan/plaid pattern on and cost about £3 for car seat sized one. Wrap up the seat in a fleece blanket and you're good.

For travelling, we used to use the cheapest and above all Lightest Mclaren buggy. Having the greatest super-deluxe baby tank is great but if you can't load it and Jnr onto the shuttle bus or up a flight of unexpected icy stairs you can find yourself stuck. There is a LOT to be said for being light.
snow conditions
Quote:

'pikey packs'

we used to refer to them as "false luggage" in third world airports. All luggage carousels have to boast a few items of "false luggage" I going round and round, to reassure folk that theirs is on its way. In poor parts of the world these are often "pikey packs", bursting at the seams and tied round with an elaborately knitted mesh of plastic string. A front pack and good non-slip things on your feet is the best way to carry a small baby a short distance through a ski resort.
snow conditions
We got a Stokke PramPack to transport our buggy when we flew. It’s a bit like a Douchbag ski holder. Its padded, has plastic reinforcement, rolls up when not in use and gives you much more protection than the cheap transport bags you can get.

When allowed, we would take it and the buggy to the gate and pack it down there. Specially Heathrow Airport, where they don’t offer strollers after check in.

Our one is still going strong after 9 years and only started to show damage around the wheels. We still use it to transport car seats and extra luggage that would fit into our suitcases.

It’s expensive, but if you fly a lot it’s a good investment.
latest report
I wouldn’t take that buggy on a flight personally. For a short walk with such a young baby use a sling. You won’t need it round resort and the nursery will have their own.
That said I had that Mb swift buggy and passed it onto family and it was/is really good. But I would never take anything other than an umbrella stroller to an airport - anything else a massive hassle folding through security etc. We have taken babies to ski resorts at least 5 times and never missed it!
Apologies if you are driving and bit about flying is irrelevant but I didn’t see that.
ski holidays
[quote="pam w"]
Quote:

A front pack and good non-slip things on your feet is the best way to carry a small baby a short distance through a ski resort.

They are fine even for fairly long distances, we took our son up his first Munro in the snow when he was a few weeks old in a front pack.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy