Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Return to Skiing after Back Surgery? - Discsectomy

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Sadly I've not been able to ski this year as I damaged my back in two falls last ski season.

I ended up with a severe spinal stenosis (basically two herniated disks compressing my spinal column) at L4 & L5.

I spent a long while in terrific chronic pain. No amount of Physio, Drugs or injections made any difference.

After 8 months of very slow progress I jumped out of the NHS route and went private for the Operation everyone said I needed a couple of weeks ago.

I feel like a new man. All pain has gone and i can walk again with some purpose.

I'm being diligent with my post op exercises and will start on a rehab prog after 4 weeks subject to all the soft tissue healing being in a good state.

I plan to pace myself and only return to sport when allowed.

However, I'm obviously keen to get back to skiing next season and wonder what experiences others have had when returning from back surgery?

BTW I'm 55, although my head says I'm still 26!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I had the L4/L5 discetomy several years ago now. Unfortunately by the time I went private it was a bit late and I have been left with permanent nerve damage resulting in a weak right leg and foot with little feeling in it. I did all the physio and got back skiing 6 months later. It took a year plus and lots of Pilates to get my core strength back, and 7 years to get back to marathon running fitness, as due to the duff foot I had to learn to run over again.
Nowadays at the age of 58 I spend my time skiing seasons, and cycling across Europe in the summer.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I returned to skiing after an L3/L4 fusion.

It was a long slow process, under the supervision of the Physio and check ups from the Surgeon.

When I was strong enough to get gently back to the gym, it took about 8 months of going 3-4 times a week....gently upping the ante.

I have been going every year since.....but go to the gym every other day, all year round. I do lots of Stretching/Mobility/Trigger Point/Core/Balance....as well as strength and aerobic training.

IIRC.

Surgery early 2013

Able to start gentle gym work around Oct 2013

Needed 8 months to build up enough fitness

Was back skiing Jan 2015....and been once per year since.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I had a discectomy at L3/4 to decompress a serious nerve compression. The op was good and I skied for a week 1 month post op, and again at 3 and 4 months post.
I did do tons of rehab, lots of walking and all the physio and gym exercises. I had the op after about 2 months of serious problems, so hopefully got it sorted before any permanent problems became embedded.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks all, good to know there's light at the end of the tunnel.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy