Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

DIN is DIN - worrying Salomon Warden question...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ok, so I have used Rossignol Pivot bindings, Marker Motions, Salomon of many, many models. I have some Scott Majics with Warden 11 bindings and they are confusing me mightily. I carefully adjusted the forward pressure, height of the toe piece (let out screw a bit, place boot in binding, screw down with a strip of thick paper ‘tween boot and AFD until paper is hard to pull out but can be pulled out...), and of course DIN. So off I go, hit some bumps, CLICK CLICK out I come. Bit bemused. Checked DINs - nope they are fine. OK, must have had some snow packed under my boot or ice somewhere....off we go again....CLICK CLICK out of the bindings again. Check check...everything perfectly fine with boot and binding. Right...back to base lift and swap to Volkls - and get a normal day in hacking everything. P+++ed off with the Scotts, and they are just sitting in the boiler room glowering at me.

I never have experienced this before and it has freaked me out. I am not going to arbitrarily tighten the bindings beyond my recommended DINs, since that for years has been essential for the integrity of my damaged knee.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I presume by "CLICK CLICK" that you're coming out of the heels?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@valais2, sounds like your length adjustments wrong for some reason?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have the same bindings on my xdr84s, I've never released from them at all yet, never mind pre released. I did find that I had to increase the toe height adjustment as any snow at the front of the boot was stopping correct engagement.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@under a new name, hmm thanks ... yes I checked that.

Roguevfr that’s good to know re no prerelease and I wonder if that was the issue. I will have a good check and try to replicate the conditions....
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@spyderjon, spyderjon - actually one of each. One heel piece was down and one not, but both skis released. Glad you have come on...have there been any tales of Warden’s behaving oddly.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
No issues with the Warden MNC's, either the 11 or the 13 (the 13 is my favourite binding for numerous reasons). However, I think there's a few subleties re set-up:

- set the forward pressure before the toe height. If there's two length settings that are acceptable (ie the end of the stud is within the notch) choose the shorter of the two binding lengths to give the greater forward pressure.
- when setting the toe height and after putting the boot toe on top of your thickness gauge and clicking in to the heel binding it's imperative to pull/lever back on the boot cuff (ie pull it hard towards to ski tail) to ensure that the boot toe lug is as high in the toe binding as possible (this is standard practice for all bindings with height adjustable AFD's).
- some boot sole types don't sit properly on the AFD and therefore give an incorrect toe height reading so it's really important to check this. If that's the case a little bit of sole grinding is necessary.
- the tech manual says the usual industry standard of 0.5mm for the AFD clearance but the instructions with the bindings say to cut a strip of the instruction sheet and use it double thickness as the toe height gauge. IIRC a double thickness is approx 0.2-0.25mm thick so I set my AFD's to that.
- to avoid the backlash in the toe height thread I always screw the toe down on to gauge so if I go too far and it's too tight I back off the screw a full half turn and then retighten until I get it bang on.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@spyderjon, SJon many thanks - very helpful to have this ‘craft knowledge’ so openly shared. Very many thanks.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@valais2, I'm using Warden 11's and 13 MNC's. Been in Tignes since December and skiied most days without any issues.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy