Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

PDS/Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2018/2019 NOT THE WEATHER

Poster: A snowHead
Pierre Longue chairlift in Chatel /Pre La Joux being upgraded from a four seat to a six seat for the coming season. Hard to believe the existing one was twenty years old but can remember the old two seater prior to that.

https://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=30294&st=0&p=298804&hl=chatel&fromsearch=1&#entry298804
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@BergenBergen, I can remember the old one being installed ... Shocked
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Are they just changing it because it’s old? I’ve never had to queue for that lift, although I don’t use it that often.

I thought they were hoping to change the lift to Mossettes, maybe splitting it into 2. Although I guess that’s a bigger project.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@doddsie, the link says they were considering a six seater or a mix of a six seaters and 10 person cabins. You do get queues at times so guess an uplift increase was needed. They are constructing a second lift up to Pointe de Mossettes, details here https://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=30399
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the details
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Really happy that one from Linderets is being upgraded. Whilst being a pretty scenic ride It must be the slowest lift on the whole circuit and as I'm 6'2 I could never get my knees under the bar without my skis hanging loosely underneath.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@no_snow_in_swindon, it was quicker hopping up Prolays and skiing to Brochaux... and you got a nice run in. Esp if off piste.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
under a new name wrote:
@no_snow_in_swindon, it was quicker hopping up Prolays and skiing to Brochaux... and you got a nice run in. Esp if off piste.

As the man says. But will change dynamics of restaurants near base of Mossettes
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@stevew, it may well do. But my experience in recent years is that the quality is good enough to justify the detour.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes, some nice places in a great suntrap
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I wonder if it is connected to the closure of French Mosettes due to the avalanche last year.

Agreed about the Brocheux restaurants - probably my favourite in the PDS (Abricotine particularly)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@DJL, as they state that it is to supplement Mossettes TSD4, that’s not going away. But as theynsay, it is susceptible to wind closure. The new one goes up more valley like to skier’s left of the existing.

If the map’s accurate, just the lip of one of the couloirs.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Glad to see they are looking at replacing TSF Lechere - hopefully with a chair that's not so slow you can feel yourself aging while you're on it! Taking 2 summers to do it though... rolling eyes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As there's only 20 days left to buy a season pass at a "reasonable" price, I checked out the opening dates. According to the Website Les Gets will open on November 24th, which is 3 weeks before Avoriaz officially opens. #Optimism
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I will miss Lechere, granted its not a lift you want to take if you need to get somewhere quickly, but I have fond memories of sitting on it with my daughter and watching deer and rabbits etc frolic around the trees and the riverside. At the right times that lift was a bit like being in a Disney film Smile
ski holidays
Wind of Change - I think they're hoping to have limited opening just for the weekends like last year.
ski holidays
I could only access the cheap pre-seaon season tickets via the Avoriaz site. But when I pressed the "Avec Assurance" button, the price in the basket remained EUR 774. I seem to recall you can't get insurance with a season pass. Can anyone offer guidance?
ski holidays
Yes. You need to buy insurance separately. snowHead
snow report
@shep, thanks. Further research says I need a Carte Neige, which is the season insurance. Do you know who sells it, or its equivalent, in Morzine?
ski holidays
Carte Neige available through the Morzine ski-club I believe, they may charge a membership fee... We get the annual insurance from Le Vieux Campeur (Thonon or online), which is pretty basic, cheap and for us fills the gap between "Ow!" and Carte Vitale. Others will say differently, do a search on here for "insurance" and you'll get more options, opinions, policies and permutations than you ever wanted!
snow conditions
gordonrussell76 wrote:
I will miss Lechere, granted its not a lift you want to take if you need to get somewhere quickly, but I have fond memories of sitting on it with my daughter and watching deer and rabbits etc frolic around the trees and the riverside. At the right times that lift was a bit like being in a Disney film Smile

Mrs C likes it - she calls it the "Narnia lift."
snow report
FYI there are cheap passes for visits over 5 days until the end of September - https://www.agence-lacentrale.com/en/real-estate-blog/season-pass-for-les-gets-morzine-save-40-until-30-10-18/ (that's a link to our agency website which then gives links to the right places to buy but google if you don't want to end up giving us traffic Wink )
snow report
Video of the Pierre Longue being dismantled. https://www.ledauphine.com/haute-savoie/2018/09/19/chatel-le-spectaculaire-demontage-d-un-telesiege
Somehow I dont think a hard hat would be sufficient if things were to go wrong.
ski holidays
BergenBergen wrote:
Video of the Pierre Longue being dismantled. https://www.ledauphine.com/haute-savoie/2018/09/19/chatel-le-spectaculaire-demontage-d-un-telesiege
Somehow I dont think a hard hat would be sufficient if things were to go wrong.

No going back now and looking forward to the new 6-seater lift opening. I believe the old chair will be stored and eventually used to replace Morclan in the future after they have replaced the very old Conche lift with another 6-seater. I also heard over summer they would like to replace the twin Chalet Neuf button lifts but are facing planning issues.

https://www.passionportesdusoleil.com/chatel/les-projets/
snow report
Just been looking at Avoriaz webcams to see snow levels. On the Amara webcam it looks as though they are building some kind of shed/shack on the slope outside Malinka/Amara. Wandering if it might be another drag lift going in to link up to the existing one in the kids snow park.

About 3 seasons ago they had a knot rope drag which meant you could ski from Plateau as if you were going to Proclou, ski to snow park drag, ride it then get off the Snow park drag and then get all the way back into the Falaise and from there ski back to Amara or Malinka ski rooms or go to restaurents in Falaise etc. I wander if they have decided to put in a more permanent drag to make it easier for people to get back to Falaise/Amara.

Anyone have any local info on the matter heard any rumours. Not urgent, I'll find out at Christmas, just curious.

G
snow report
gordonrussell76 wrote:
Just been looking at Avoriaz webcams to see snow levels. On the Amara webcam it looks as though they are building some kind of shed/shack on the slope outside Malinka/Amara. Wandering if it might be another drag lift going in to link up to the existing one in the kids snow park.

About 3 seasons ago they had a knot rope drag which meant you could ski from Plateau as if you were going to Proclou, ski to snow park drag, ride it then get off the Snow park drag and then get all the way back into the Falaise and from there ski back to Amara or Malinka ski rooms or go to restaurents in Falaise etc. I wander if they have decided to put in a more permanent drag to make it easier for people to get back to Falaise/Amara.

Anyone have any local info on the matter heard any rumours. Not urgent, I'll find out at Christmas, just curious.

G

We normally stay in the Amara, so that would be a good addition, I agree.
latest report
Hi
Staying in Avoriaz for the first time end of Jan.
Where can I buy ski passes in the resort? I’m presuming the Welcome Centre? Cheers
latest report
As far as I know, unless anything changed recently, there's the pass office next to the Tourist Office (on the main drag under the clock-tower), or the main one at the bottom of town next to the Prodains-Express top-station. The main office usually has smaller queues. There's also a pass vending machine in the hut at the bottom of the Park poma. I haven't been into the Welcome Centre for a couple of seasons, but there's never been one there previously. There's often deals online not available as a walk-up.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Or you can buy online and get the passes delivered to your home before you travel, avoiding all the queues - https://www.avorinet.com/ski-passes/
snow conditions
Slightly related query - I'm heading out on Saturday and had planned to 'top up' a pass I used last season. I take it I can just go and hop on a lift on my first day without having to get the card validated or some other such inconvenience?
ski holidays
@Paxo, You can reload them online and just hop on the lift Very Happy
ski holidays
@Matt1959, good man, cheers
ski holidays
@Paxo, While I remember......over the last couple of days we found that the English version of the (in our case Chatel) PDS website wouldn't allow you to update an existing pass, whereas the French version would. Google Chrome, in case that make a difference.
snow conditions
Ah ok, thanks for the heads up. I'll probably buy it tomorrow so will give the French site a bash if I'm struggling. Thanks again man
snow report
Any views on Chatel in second half of March (17th)? We’ve stayed in Morzine and Les Gets on numerous occasions and fancy trying Chatel this time. Would it be any better or worse snow-wise than the rest of the PdS?
snow report
@Rois1980, Difficult to answer some of your questions as they are a little unspecific.

On March 17th, you have another month to go until the scheduled end of the ski season. Conditions might be a little spring-like and/or they could be great. It depends on the season. It's unlikely that conditions would be poor.

Relative to the rest of the PdS, it depends where you're comparing. Chatel's highest lifts are only 123m lower than Avoriaz's and they're in the north-facing Linga/PLJ sector and are hence fairly snowsure, with generally lower crowds than Avoriaz as its further away from Morzine and in the quiet area of the PdS. If you want to ski across to Avoriaz, it's very accessible.

However, it's a lot different from Morzine. There are bars and restaurants, but it's nowhere near the same size of village.
snow conditions
Thanks for that - and I understand that I was very vague!
I actually meant snow-wise, which you kindly answered. We've only really gone as far as Plain Dranse before (well I think I got lost somewhere near Chatel years ago) so I really don't have any concept of altitude or snow. If we were going to be coming to PdS anyway, it sounds like there's no more risk with Chatel than Les Gets, and possibly less so.
My OH really wants to stay there - bars and restaurants not that important as it's just two of us and we've found a few UK-style catered chalets to choose from. I am fairly comfortable understanding, if not particularly great at speaking, French, so like the idea of a less Anglophone part of the PdS (obviously a direct contradiction from staying in a UK-style chalet Smile )
ski holidays
Chatel has become a lot more Anglophone over the years. When I inflict my (highly imperfect) French on the locals I now tend to get a response in their (highly imperfect) English but I persist. It leads to the bizarre situation of the Englishman speaking French and the French person speaking English!

Chatel is a better spot for exploring the PDS than Morzine (in my view) with very good access to the Swiss side and Avoriaz but less good to Les Gets. Late on in the season the extra village height and as @snoozeboy says the more northerly aspect means it tends to have better snow than Morzine/Les Gets and fewer people than Avoriaz (which admittedly is higher at village level).

Then again I'm a bit biased.
ski holidays
@DJL, +1
Noticeable early doors, as the snow making in the Chatel sector meant that most stuff was open after the heavy rains, when there was little natural snow. Linga & PLJ conditions were way better than stuff in the Avo sector such as Chaux Fleurie (Red- no canons), Tannes (Red- no canons), the bottom of Combe a Florets etc...
Although with the snow today its pow central all over.
snow conditions
Coming over to stay in Chatel for five days from 19th. We’re looking for relaxed skiing and not too bothered about racking up the kms.
The chalet will drop us to different ski areas - is it worth going to La Chapelle for a day (say 4/5 hrs of skiing) and are there nice restaurants there to have lunch?
Other mountain restaurant recommendations in the Chatel ski area would be very welcome.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy