Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian/German Supermarkets - Snow Chains

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
I'm off to Ischgl next week, driving a hire car from Friedrichshafen and it's chucking it down with snow at the moment so looks like chains will be in order. If I was going to France I know I should be able to stop off at any big Carrefour or Leclerc and stand a good chance of picking up a set for the cost of hiring them from the rental company for 1 day, and also know I can have a quick Street View scan of the driving route to find a couple of likely hypemarkets. I'm not familiar with German/Austrian supermarkets though, and no Street View for Germany.

Does anyone know if Germany/Austria have the huge hypermarkets like France that stock chains or do I just have to accept getting humped by the hire company?

Thanks.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Mjit, Not sure re buying snow chains in Germany as never needed them, but you should be able to pick up at the petrol/service stations. Also, just because it's chucking it down now doesn't mean you will need chains next week or even today. Chances are you'll get to Ischgl fine on winter tyres which the hire car will have as standard.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Unlikely to be on sale in places like that at this time year - ditto petrol stations, though possible.

Given the car will have winter tyres also unlikely you'd need chains on the road up Paznaunertal to Ischgl. Road is busy, often cleared, and generally not really steep (at least to Ischgl). When it does have snow related problems, it's usually due to avalanche activity/danger/control.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You will not need chains
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Mjit, see https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=124035 - in short, there are lots of places you can buy them.

Having said that, I've driven throughout Austria over the last 15 years and the only time I've needed chains was to get up the steep hill to our apartment during a heavy snowfall as the road was untreated until about 20 minutes after I went up it in chains. The main roads should be OK on standard winter tyres.

At Salzburg airport in January, the car hire staff were pushing chains heavily on UK customers, telling them that with the recent heavy snow falls they were essential. I pointed out to a couple of people that the €30 per day they were about to be charged was unnecessary because the roads would be clear and even if it got very bad they could buy a set for €30 at most petrol stations. I also questioned why they were paying over €200 for chains that they had no idea how to fit. Like lemmings, they paid the extras. I didn't, and unsurprisingly didn't need them as every road was entirely clear. This is Austria, not the UK. Snow is not a surprise, and the roads are cleared quickly and efficiently. If the road is entirely white, winter tyres will cope unless the road is on a >20 degree slope or the snow has been compressed to sheet ice, which basically never happens because they are better at treating the roads than we are.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy